Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2 Spinpoints? 3 spinpoints!!?? 4?!?!?!?!

Last response: in Storage
April 7, 2010 6:24:10 AM

If im using 3 spinpoints in RAID0, will it be faster than 2? will 4 be faster than 3?

If i want the speed of RAID with the ability to have 1 single hdd fail on me and not lose my data....which mode of raid do i want?

More about : spinpoints spinpoints

a b G Storage
April 7, 2010 1:24:12 PM

RAID 0, if any HD in the array fails, the array fails. Data not backed up = gone. RAID 1 or 5 are redundant. See this article for a general discussion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

For RAID 0, adding drives will increase transfer speed, but not improve your access time.
m
l
April 8, 2010 5:16:54 PM

5 has striping too though right?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 9, 2010 12:27:52 AM

5 is striped with parity.
m
l

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
April 9, 2010 1:04:10 AM

RAID 0 and RAID 5 can improve transfer rates, but not access times.

RAID won't give you much of a speed-up for general-purpose activity such as booting and starting applications because they're a lot more dependent on good access times.

It will help with copying or reading/writing of large files, though.

Note that the WRITE performance of RAID-5 is VERY POOR, so it shouldn't be used for write-intensive files.

You should also avoid using RAID-5 for very large volumes (more than, say 2TB or so) because most disks don't have a high enough read reliability rate to provide a good chance of recovery after a drive failure. If you need a very large redundant array then RAID-6 or RAID-1 is a safer choice.
April 9, 2010 9:52:33 AM

Best answer selected by jamesyboy.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 15, 2010 3:09:23 AM

I might be a week late in this process but hold on more drives better up til a point and wait 4 is all I've tested. 5 or 6 might be better..

I have four F3 1TB and in RAID0 using the first 400-800GB size in volume perform near 500MB/s 12ms seek times. Also using on board from Intel ICH10R RAID5 scored better results than in RAID 10 by close to 100MB/s using HD Tune with 4 drives. These drives appear to be what the tomshardware RAID scaling charts are based. After having 4 of them in RAID 0, 1, 10, and 5 my more ideal question would be does the Spinpoint perform better using 4, 5, versus 6 in RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 because I have found them to more than meet my expectations in adding more drives is better at least up to 4.

My Answer: 4 drives RAID0 for best performance. I have benchmarks to prove it. Doesn't matter how you arrange them but if RAID10 or RAID5 was on the table I would be undecided because RAID5 is performing better using 4 against 4x 01 config and I need to experience the "needs initialized"
m
l
!