wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
i had a q6600 that died, so i need a new cpu desperately, i was thinking about maybe trying something new in the similair price range (under $200 no money, no job) so which would be a better buy? i just want some opinions

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
well i i didnt have a working computer for a bout 2 weeks but i kept everything together (the cpu in the socket) i waited for all my new parts to come, i installed the cpu into my new motherboard and the motherboard shuts off after 10 seconds (i tried just powering the motherboard nothing else and it stayed on) so im assuming dead cpu, until i can get my hands on my old motherboard that i gave to a friend....and i dont know why it died, if ot in fact died, but i could have a cpu problem or a socket problem....i have the worst luck

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008

oh god, i hate debates, i hope this doesnt turn out to one...i just cant decide which one lol

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

Just search the last 1-2 pages and look for "Quad vs. Dual". Ull be scared what u find :pfff:

But it should be under warranty....y did it die??
Otherwise, if ull OC the quad, then id grab that, but thats my opinion

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
well i will be overclocking, so i i will prob end up getting the q6600 or if im lucky my mom will buy me a higher priced cpu tehe, like a core 2 extreme rofl

I'm still stuck at the "i had a q6600 that died," part of the post. If you didn't immediately try another CPU, how do you know that the CPU is the problem? Assuming that none of the drives have shorted, the usual suspects, in order of probability, are the PSU, motherboard, and then a far, distant third, the CPU.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Considering how long Q6600s have been sold, I don't think anyone would argue that it was an absolutely game-changing CPU since we're still talking about it being used in gaming builds. I wouldn't want one NOW... but good lord at the mileage the early adopters got out of that CPU.

billiardicus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
1. Make sure your cpu is actually dead
2. Find out if it's covered under warrantee
3. Both the Q6600 and E8500 are awesome chips. Either way, you should overclock. Remember that you will need a higher FSB with the E8500 (for OC'ing). Make sure your mobo will support the higher FSB (1600mhz +).

With all that said, if you're still undecided: IMO the E8500 is the better chip for right now and for probably the next year maybe more. If you're planning on upgrading again within ~1 year, I'd get the E8500. If you don't want to buy another chip for 2+ years, the Q6600 is probably better. But you can't go wrong with either chip.

FYI your applications matter too. My brother plays MMO's and exp/gold farms or something (I dunno)...anyway he has 7 or 8 versions of the game running at once. He has a E8400 (which I recommended for games) but he should have got a quad for what he's doing (I didn't know he was going to try to run 8 games at once).

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I agree with a few of the posters above here, this matter needs to be investigated a bit further and you ought to find out what went wrong and make sure that your CPU is really dead.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Well if money is really that tight..

The q6600 does cost 7 dollars more...

I have seen far more motherboards that have have failed than cpu's. Even motherboards that have been struck by lightning I was able to pull the chip out and throw it in a new board. Video cards burnout more frequently than CPU's.

It's certainly possible for it to happen. Especially if you are trying to do a major over clock and get the voltages way off.
I don't know if newer board will let you do that anymore.

The only dead cpu's I have ever encountered were ones that were intentionally fried. The fried a chip every semester in college for a demonstration of what not to do.

Take the cover off and look for ash. It will be black and get all over your fingers. It smells like chemicals. It will stick to stuff near the burn point like PCI slots or form a ring around capacitors. Use a flashlight.

Look especially around the capacitors near the cpu socket. The tops should be flat. If you see any that are blown the inside will be visible.. Sometimes they will just be bulging and not blow. All the tops should be flat. If you find any of those your chip is probably fine and the board is dead.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009

Are you sure you got all the power plugs plugged in..

This actually is a common problem. Sometimes just resetting the BIOS will clear it. When the board sits in a box for long enough it drains all the voltage out of the capacitors and doesn't always boot clean. I have an MSI board that has a similar issue where I hit the power button it comes on for 10 seconds and shuts down .. 5 seconds later it lights up again and boots. It never fails to boot after that delay..

I don't use the system that much and its not plugged into an outlet. It seems like the initial boot attempt drains the capacitors and they have to draw power for a few seconds before they can sustain a load. I probably should have RMA'd it but it never fails to boot. When that board was new I could not get it to post with any CPU with out wiping the bios.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
blade brought up an interesting point:

if you plan to overclock the Q6600 will be good but you need an aftermarket heatsink
if you plan to keep it stock then E8500

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
ok ok ok, i have to answer some questions, i borrowed a cpu from my friend and it worked, so thats why i think the cpu is dead,
goonting:
motherboard: gigabyte ep45-ud3r
video card: gtx 260 core 216
cpu: q6600
hard drive: 1 TB seagate, 500 gb WD, 160 gb WD, 60 gb samsung
power supply: corsair 750w

any more info let me know,

btw, i will oc my new cpu (if i need one) and im a gamer

loftie

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
If your q6600 was serving you well, i'd stick with it, especially if you're overclocking it and you already have a good aftermarket cooler. I mention the cooler because if money is tight, that may be the deciding factor in my opinion as that will push the price up.

If you dont have a good cooler and cant afford one, it just depends with whether you were seeing a good FPS in any games on your stock q6600. Either way the quad will probably last longer before another upgrade.

Good luck!