nerdherdbuymore

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Hi im new to this forum and i just want to seek help with the experts...

here's my problem.

my cpu temp is really weird even on idle state.

my specs:
- AMD Phenom X3 8450
- Asus M3A78-EM
- 2x2GB Team Elite
- ATI Radeon HD 4670
- HEC Raptor 500w
- 640GB WDC
- HSF Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
- 1x 120 Akasa fan
- 2x 80 Generic Fan

One time i was using bittorent (downloading 4 items) while playing crysis then my game just froze for around 5-10secs. Tried checking my CPU temp and its around 55. Im really newbie with AMD actually this is my 1st time to use AMD and i hope you guys can help me out and shed some light.

2ymbw9i.png

my starting cpu temp when i boot-up my pc is starting at 48. idle is 48.

is this a bug of speed fan or what? i tried asus pc probe and it says 48-49 when starting up. what seems to be wrong? or my case airflow system is not that good. when using the stack hsf of amd the temp is the same and even i upgrade using artic cooling. :(

to amd phenom x3 users what is your bootup temp?

Thanks!

shiftstealth

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
i let my friend do my artic silver and he didnt put it on the edges of the cpu and the temps went up 7C stock cooling on the phenoms allow for 48c idle and 62C load.

nerdherdbuymore

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009

hi thanx for the reply.

im sorry i dont get what your saying buddy. what does your friend temps using speed fan? for temp1-3 and core. i always get 48-49c during idle.

are you pertaining that i need to apply more thermal paste?

thanks for the help!

Just out of curiosity, what does the BIOS say the temp is?

The problem is, we really can't be sure if that is an accurate reading or not. I've had several boards where the temp probes were miscalibrated.

Also, try Hardware Monitor (just Google that). I've also hear RealTemp recommended before, but I've never tried.

If all of these still agree, I'd treat that as the real temp and reevaluate your case airflow and processor/fan/thermal paste situation.

For teh thermal paste, you really just need about a grain of rice or so. You can then spread it if you like. In the end, you want it to come to the edge of the fan base, but not go gushing over the side of the processor.

Hope that helps.

nerdherdbuymore

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
thanx @ EXT64 ill check my bios when i got home.

anyways what should be the normal idle temp for AMD Phenom X3? my proc is not running OCED.

my friend got X2 and idle is at 32-34c. i just need to know if my proc have problem so i can take it back to the shop asap. i just bought this for around 2wks.

That depends mainly on two things: whether on not Cool n Quiet is enabled and what your room temp is. My Phenom II without CnQ is upper 20's low 30's. My X2 with CnQ was even closer to room temp. Still, especially with CnQ, I'd expect idle temps sub 35C.

nerdherdbuymore

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
shoots! i check my bios temp and its in 46 idle (open case) shoots! i also tried everest and the same temp 46 on idle. i think this is really really wrong :( what should i do

nerdherdbuymore

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009

Check all the possible cpu temp checker also the bios. IDLE @ 45-46C.

Im Using Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

See Screenshots for Everest and HWMonitor

2nk01p4.png

1el0qq.png

What do you think guys? is there a problem with my processor? I just bought this 2weeks ago. Room temp for my Rig is in normal state 23-25C.

If thermal paste doesnt solve the problem i may take this back in the shop.

Thanks!

Did you leave the stock thermal paste on the AC Freezer? I use the exact same fan (with their paste) and it runs great. It also was the exact right amount, so if it is good and tight, you should be all set. How do you have the fan control set? Is is to auto or max (if Fanin0 is the CPU, it is max). And for reference, my PII hits 47C at max load (all four cores).

You can use prime95 if you want to max all three cores. Just be ready to abort if that temp starts rising too high (how high is too high, I'm not sure but I think AMD's website says for each processor).

My only other concern is the high HD temp. How is the airflow in the case (in/out fans) or is the HD just isolated.

It is worth a try to reapply the paste. THe problem is that it is impossible to know whether the probes are miscalibrated or not. Obviously the Core 0,1,2 temps are way off, but the MB could be off as well.

nerdherdbuymore

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Yes im currently using the stock thermal paste, fans setup in BIOS is in AUTO.

i think i need to return this procie in the shop. its really irritating that when im playing i sometimes get the 5-10secs freeze screen and also i cant leave the machine for 24hrs since the temp is really sick

this is really really frustrating. i hope i can get a replacement. :(

So you hae had instability? The only other thing I can think to try is turn off fan control (so they just run at max). Also, check and make sure the CPU fan is actually spinning (and spinning fast).