Antec Nine Hundred Advanced Gaming Case
Antec EA650
Asus P5Q Pro Mobo
Intel E8400
2x1g OCZ DDR800 Crossfire Mem
Vision Tech HD4870
250gb w/d sata 7200 hdd
20x sony DVD

My problem is, When i press the power button the power comes on then goes off for about 3 sec then comes on (without me touching anything) and boots up. Everything else is fine. Runs Fall Out 3 on Ultra without a hickup and runs very cool. My only issue is with the power at start up. Anyone ever here of this.

That has nothing to do with the button :)

Your BIOS is resetting itself, then rebooting. Just get in there and make sure all the settings are correct.

Your BIOS keeps trying to boot with it's primary boot config, fails, and goes to back-up.

Look to CPU and memory settings.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
sounds normal to me. My system does that where it starts, turns off, turns on and it's good to go. I have no real idea why, but it's fine.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

This is absolutely normal, particularly for an Asus board. First turnon sets resource assignments, second turnon uses them. In other words Bios is reseting memory allotment. It might not do it if the "Plug and Play OS?" setting in Bios is toggled. My Asus Maximus Formula has been doing this since Day One regardless of Plug and Play OS settings.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I have had 3 different machines do the same thing.
Happening often, right after I make changes to the system.
A few times I recall it happening after an improper power down.
I think this is part of newer bios behavior during the hardware detection phase resetting it's self or testing it's self for proper operation.
I have no system where this happens upon every system boot though.

Like most who post here you did not list your power supply.
If this boot behavior happens every time you boot you might take a look at your PSU.

Make sure that all your bios settings reflect your system configuration and required settings need for it.

I hate Asus and their piss poor service, especially their so called RMA service.

You night find some info and or help on the Asus forums.

One other thing to check is your bios make sure it is up to date with the required micro code for your CPU.
When I went to install my E8400, I had to update the bios before my one board would see it correctly.
I keep a skt 775 Celeron D 336 for those occasions where I need to update a system bios, to allow use of a newer CPU. It has saved me much time over the last year or so.

bertscova

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008

I did list my psu EA650

the PSU is not the prob i bought the psu to run a AGP video card on an older mobo but the mobo would not support the video card. So i returned the video card and upgraded to what you see. i ran the psu in the older sys until the new sys was all here and it worked fine only prob I have with the psu is finding a place to store all the wires.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

You don't have a "problem." The reset may stop happening, possibly due to a hardware change, but since the system works after the second turn on then everything is fine.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
????? HUH ??? Press button,system starts up,,shuts off all by itself ,,and then lo !!!!, and behold starts up again [????] ,,,,,seems like a good way to blow a psu with the voltage surge,to say nothing of the smt on the mobo,,some of you folks should check out your systems setup a little more thoroughly ,we're talking a modern switching psu here not a dc power bar,psu's are not designed to take that kind of usage they are either on or off not both at the same time,the most dangerous time for any electrical device is when it is turned on as it has to withstand a power surge that on a domestic line could go as high as 600 volts [due to line spikes] ,if i found myself with a mobo that started twice like that i would rip the system apart and bench it right then and there ,,because something's not kosher,,go figure..:)

ASUS P45 owners and builders know that this is a part of the BIOS, a "feature". It's been around for much longer than P45, but has finally gotten to the point where it works, maybe a bit too well.

Here is the applicable quote from the P5Q-E manual:
"C.P.R. (CPU Parameter Recall)
The C.P.R. feature of the motherboard BIOS allows automatic re-setting to the BIOS default settings in case the system hangs while overclocking. When the system hangs due to overclocking, C.P.R. eliminates the need to open the chassis and clear the RTC data."

Here's the problem: If you have an overclocked system, even just a tiny OC, and you crash due to some other factor... and this can be a crash as you shut down that you are not even aware of, your BIOS will reset. When it resets it will do the double power up the OP talks about.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

Two of my systems use Asus MB's, both overclocked. The Maximus Formula does the double turn on each time UNLESS the video capture card is removed, then it starts straightaway, so that sounds like resource management. The P5K occasionally double-starts with no obvious connective factor regardless of peripherals, so that's the random mini-crash scenario.

The point is the OP has nothing to worry about, and no, the power supply ISN'T being stressed! Modern supplies have a gradual ramp-up, they "tune in" with full electronic control, there's no starting spike.

bertscova

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008

Ok I think i may have found the prob maybe. I have this mem

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227169

Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 4
Timing 4-4-4-15
Voltage 1.9V - 2.1V

here are some photobucket shots of my bios. Do i just set the DRAM Timing Control to manual and change 1, 2, 3 information to cas4, Also should i set the voltage to the middle of the range@2.0

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Yeah you could adjust the "first information" to reflect those numbers, and 2.0V would be OK.

Before you do that though, you should download CPU-Z and give us a picture of the info in the SPD tab... make sure the memory you got agrees with what's on the package.

bertscova

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008

Here are some pic of the cpu-z i noticed that my bios is set to ddr2 800
but this cpu-z shows that the comp sees it as ddr2 400. I flashed the newest bios this morning and still have the same results. Not sure if this will solve the boot power issue.

CPU Info
DSC00438.jpg

Cache Info
DSC00439.jpg

Mainboard Info
DSC00440.jpg

Memory Info ( I have OCZ DDR2 800)
DSC00441.jpg

SPD Info
DSC00442.jpg

About Info
DSC00443.jpg

DDR = Double Data Rate. When CPU-Z says your RAM is operating at 400Mhz, that is correct and proper. 2x400 = 800.

Your RAM timings are wrong.... I'm guessing you changed them, but you need to follow the recommendations on that SPD tab and ignore the packaging.

The SPD tab clearly shows that they need to be 5-5-5-15-23 at 1.8V.

If you move the RAM to 333Mhz (667Mhz), you would be running at that 1:1 ratio and could make the timings the same as the second entry in the SPD tab. That would be the most stable probably.

Granted, your RAM might run at those timings with manually increased DRAM voltage, but we're trying to get to the root of a situation here :)

bertscova

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Ok I solved the problem, After a proper shutdown I would turn off the power switch on the psu because my usb mouse stays on. First prob solvered now to the heart of the problem, is there a jumper on the mobo that is causing this.