Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Add/Remove Problems

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:52:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

For some reason there are lots of items in add/remove that have no Remove
option.
I went to the registry to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

there are some items there that are not in Add/Remove such as:

ICW

IE4Data

IE5BAKEX

IE40

IEData

These have nothing beside their names just Default and when double-click it
shows nothing for data.

I have a listing called Passwords Plus in Add/Remove but not in the
registrfy and there is no Remove option either.

There is another called Norton Antivirus & Norton Antivirus Parent MSI

Everything for norton is listed separately with no remove option too!

Any ideas

B

More about : add remove problems

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:29:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have those same five keys. They are related to Internet Explorer. Best
to leave them alone.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ICW
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\IE40
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\IE4Da
ta
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\IE5BA
KEX
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\IEDat
a

Some programs purposely do not have entries in Add or Remove Programs. For
obvious reasons, so they cannot be removed.

For those that may need help...
Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and Remove
buttons
http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o 7tilj7uFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Me2Ewe <blaray@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> For some reason there are lots of items in add/remove that have no Remove
> option.
> I went to the registry to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>
> there are some items there that are not in Add/Remove such as:
>
> ICW
>
> IE4Data
>
> IE5BAKEX
>
> IE40
>
> IEData
>
> These have nothing beside their names just Default and when double-click
> it shows nothing for data.
>
> I have a listing called Passwords Plus in Add/Remove but not in the
> registrfy and there is no Remove option either.
>
> There is another called Norton Antivirus & Norton Antivirus Parent MSI
>
> Everything for norton is listed separately with no remove option too!
>
> Any ideas
>
> B
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 11:21:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi. Download this free utility. Add/Remove Pro 2.8 (second one down, I think)
http://www.regvac.com/ffreewar.htm Read the instruction well. It works wonders
Regards. deango
..Me2Ewe wrote:
> For some reason there are lots of items in add/remove that have no
Related resources
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 3:53:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

For norton if there is no addd remove option go to the symantec website and
hunt their removal tool. After you have run that you have to manually delete
all the symantec files and clean the registry. You might use a registry
cleanup tool for that.

Symantec has a habit of putting files all ove the HDD.

Go slow and carefully.

Good luck.

Regards,


"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 7tilj7uFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> For some reason there are lots of items in add/remove that have no Remove
> option.
> I went to the registry to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>
> there are some items there that are not in Add/Remove such as:
>
> ICW
>
> IE4Data
>
> IE5BAKEX
>
> IE40
>
> IEData
>
> These have nothing beside their names just Default and when double-click
> it shows nothing for data.
>
> I have a listing called Passwords Plus in Add/Remove but not in the
> registrfy and there is no Remove option either.
>
> There is another called Norton Antivirus & Norton Antivirus Parent MSI
>
> Everything for norton is listed separately with no remove option too!
>
> Any ideas
>
> B
>
>
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:13:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Before using Symantec's removal tool, you should uninstal the Sun Java
runtime if you have it installed because the tool will corrupt it. you will
have to reinstall the Sun Java runtime and several Windows Updates after
using Symantec's removal tool. That is why I stay away from Symantec
products. They put too many hooks in the system, are sometimes difficult to
remove, and can greatly screw up Windows.


"Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o 1Hr5ITvFHA.664@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> For norton if there is no addd remove option go to the symantec website
> and hunt their removal tool. After you have run that you have to manually
> delete all the symantec files and clean the registry. You might use a
> registry cleanup tool for that.
>
> Symantec has a habit of putting files all ove the HDD.
>
> Go slow and carefully.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Regards,
>
>
> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 7tilj7uFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> For some reason there are lots of items in add/remove that have no Remove
>> option.
>> I went to the registry to:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>>
>> there are some items there that are not in Add/Remove such as:
>>
>> ICW
>>
>> IE4Data
>>
>> IE5BAKEX
>>
>> IE40
>>
>> IEData
>>
>> These have nothing beside their names just Default and when double-click
>> it shows nothing for data.
>>
>> I have a listing called Passwords Plus in Add/Remove but not in the
>> registrfy and there is no Remove option either.
>>
>> There is another called Norton Antivirus & Norton Antivirus Parent MSI
>>
>> Everything for norton is listed separately with no remove option too!
>>
>> Any ideas
>>
>> B
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 9:18:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Perhaps the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility can help you remove other
things, if their uninstall data has become corrupted.



"Bullwinkle. J. Moose" <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o 1Hr5ITvFHA.664@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> For norton if there is no addd remove option go to the symantec website
> and hunt their removal tool. After you have run that you have to manually
> delete all the symantec files and clean the registry. You might use a
> registry cleanup tool for that.
>
> Symantec has a habit of putting files all ove the HDD.
>
> Go slow and carefully.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Regards,
>
>
> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 7tilj7uFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> For some reason there are lots of items in add/remove that have no Remove
>> option.
>> I went to the registry to:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>>
>> there are some items there that are not in Add/Remove such as:
>>
>> ICW
>>
>> IE4Data
>>
>> IE5BAKEX
>>
>> IE40
>>
>> IEData
>>
>> These have nothing beside their names just Default and when double-click
>> it shows nothing for data.
>>
>> I have a listing called Passwords Plus in Add/Remove but not in the
>> registrfy and there is no Remove option either.
>>
>> There is another called Norton Antivirus & Norton Antivirus Parent MSI
>>
>> Everything for norton is listed separately with no remove option too!
>>
>> Any ideas
>>
>> B
>>
>>
>
>
September 19, 2005 9:54:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Me2Ewe wrote:
> For some reason there are lots of items in add/remove that have no Remove
> option.
> I went to the registry to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

FYI: Poking around in the registry and making changes - when you don't
know what you're doing - can lead to posts like this:

"Help! My computer no longer boots! How did this happen?!"
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 6:38:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Bullwinkle. J. Moose wrote:
>
> For norton if there is no addd remove option go to the symantec website and
> hunt their removal tool. After you have run that you have to manually delete

Uninstaller For NAV 2003 Or Earlier
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe

Uninstaller For NIS/NPF 2003 or earlier
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/RnisUPG.exe

Uninstaller For Norton System Works 2003
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/product...

Uninstaller For Most Norton's 2004/05 Products
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/linked_...



--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 5:39:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Many thanks to "Z" for the unsolicited advice. If that is the response I get
for my question then there was a few wasted years trying to attain a college
education. If you say you did not receive an education, I would have to say
I understand. You did receive some good knowledge though, with the one
letter naming strategy, good for passwords!

In other words don't knock someone unless you know who you are knocking,
maybe I am a Tech who just needs a question answered about something he has
not run across yet, or maybe he is just someone who watches these newsgroups
so he can reply to their questions in hopes of screwing them up? Who knows?

B

"Z" <Z@no.spam> wrote in message news:_4JXe.22780$tc7.21359@fe03.lga...
> Me2Ewe wrote:
>> For some reason there are lots of items in add/remove that have no Remove
>> option.
>> I went to the registry to:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>
> FYI: Poking around in the registry and making changes - when you don't
> know what you're doing - can lead to posts like this:
>
> "Help! My computer no longer boots! How did this happen?!"
!