What do you think of my first rig?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2008 2:11:04 AM

Hey this is my first build and I was just wondering what you all thought of it
I play A LOT of games but I'm not really that much of a high fps and graphics whore
I just want it to be better than average but still be able to play the latest games well.
I also want my first computer to be really fast
and 4gb ram seems like the norm now so I'm thinking it'll be pretty fast :]

Motherboard: Asus m2n32 SLI deluxe wireless edition

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4gb (2 X 2gb)

Video: eVGA Ge-Force 8800gt 512mb -get 2nd one way later for SLI

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster x-Fi XtremeGamer

Hard: Western Digital 250mb 7200rpm internal
(I already have a 250gb external drive already)

Case: CoolerMaster 690

PSU: 550w comes with case

and I already got all the other stuff I need like CPU cooler, mouse, etc
all those accessories

so what do you think? :]

More about : rig

November 3, 2008 2:30:39 AM

Depends on your budget. It's a modest system, but an 8800GT is a bit average now, and the nforce 590 chipset that board is based on is already a bit dated. You also don't have as much of an upgrade path on the CPU side since I believe the fastest Phenom that board supports is a 9750. A Radeon 4850 would be a better option for the GPU as it currently provides the best bang for the buck. As for a motherboard go with a board based on the 790X, 790FX, or 790GX if you want to stay with AMD. You should also make sure it contains the SB750 if you want to upgrade your CPU to a Phenom latter and over clock it. If you want to stick with nVidia then at least get a 750a based motherboard. Even though a 750a based board only has two 8x PCI-E 2.0 slots, they will provide the same bandwidth as two 16X PCI-E 1.1 slots that board has.

You will be persuaded here to switch to a Radeon 4850 and an Intel Setup. You should specify a target budget though to give people an idea of what you can afford so that they can giv3e you better suggestions. I also think the Hard Drive is a bit small so you may want to spend a few more bucks to get at least a 400GB drive.
November 3, 2008 2:44:22 AM

I have that Board and the sound on the board is pretty good, i'd save the money on the stand alone sound card and go with a bigger HD.

The new 85w 64 X2 6000+ is on sale at Neweg for $82.00 US http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Save on the Soundcard an this HD is the best bang for the buck i've found its 640 GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This Mushkin Ram is a better deal as well. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $44.99 US after rebate Better Ram too, so i've heard
Related resources
November 3, 2008 3:21:13 AM

hmmm
so then what do you think If I replaced that board with this

Asus M3N-HT
or

BIOSTAR TPower N750

I prefer the asus over biostar :]
November 3, 2008 5:26:43 AM

What is your budget??
!