lubish

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I have been reading the forums for the past couple days to try and get info about a good gaming processor. I have seen multiple threads on the debate between quads and duo. Still can not make up my mind. So i decided to create account and post.

Here are the three CPUs that I am looking at.

Core 2 Quad Q9550

Core 2 Duo E8500

Core i7 920

This is going to be strictly a gaming rig. Im looking for something that should still be ok to be gaming with for the next couple years.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Depends on your budget. If you got $1500+ to blow on a rig get i7.
Otherwise look towards quads. Maybe not fully utilised now but if we are talking 3-4 years then grab the 9550.

eil2017

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I'm wondering the exact same thing right now, and TBH, these replies so far only reinforce the confusion. I've read that the i7 doesn't perform as well as say, an E8600 for something like WoW.

Also, is a quad really getting used under gaming? Most aren't multi-threaded to really take advantage, and it would seem like dual core for OS/gaming tasks would be enough.

Nonetheless, I'm here for opinions of greater expertise than mine, and I know that expensive is not necessarily better in all cases.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Atm yes, there are very few multithread games out
But with Windows 7 and the availability of quads now...it shouldnt be long

For MultiGPU systems...i7 helps A LOT

olddman

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
It's nice to have someone to give you advise, but in the end, it's your decision on which one to buy. You can start a new thread on here everyday and your gonna get the same answers.

At the present time a duel core is the fastest for gameing, but very few of us use a computer just for gaming. And like Silverion says, it won't be long before gaming is a new era and it will take a quad core to play that game. Yes, i7 are probable the best of the best right now, but a little too expensive for my taste, but i7's are quad cores; so you decision is really between a duel and quad. If you buy a duel and 6 months from now the game you want to try/play requires a quad, then you have to go and buy a new processor, where as if you buy a quad now, your set for anything that comes out.

With that said it's still up to you to buy what you want, and then, enjoy your decision.

I personnelly had the same decision to make when I built new rig. I also play WoW alot. I put a quad in and never looked back.

lubish

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Thanks to everyone that replied.

Like everyone has stated the duel cores are the better processor for gaming "at this time". At this time is the key phrase, since I plan on having this rig for a couple years I think I will go with the quad.

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
i7 is expensive yes and its also LGA1366 which means theres not any boards out there thats cheap on a LGA1366 specially if your looking for a good quality board. like an EX58 extreme.

Q9550 or Q9650.. is your best bet for an LGA 775 board

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
With Core i7 giving so much boost over the CoreQuad series... is it worth upgrading to q9X50 series? Just how long is it going to be fool proof for?

I've read reviews about how it boost performance up to 20 frames on GTA 4 with a quad core and so I'm twitching to get a quad now... but I'm just wondering if it will provide enough power over say an E8400 (which is what I have atm). I'm on vista so my OS can definitely utilize quad cores. The review also said that it utilized the Quad core completely. I'm using ATI 4870 and from what I've heard Catalyst 9.1 will also bring boost to Quad core CPU performance..... It's very tempting indeed but is it worth while for C2D -> C2Q?

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
If you read allt he reviews on duals vs quads, everyone is bringing up the new Windows 7 OS, which will be used for multithreading. Duals for "now" are ok but, when that system comes out and newer games arive your going to need a quad. Just a matter of time.

The only "advantage" duo's have over quads is the clock speed; at the same speeds, the Quad wins.

Taking the 2 yr game development time into account, I would say we've reached the tipping point for multi-core gaming. Already, we've seen several releases take advantages of Quads, so if you can get a decently cloced Quad, I say go with it.

salabarria

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
if i where you i would get either the quad core or the i7 because with those you'll be fine for a while and i think that dual cores are beginning to show there age especially in gta iv