Sign in with
Your question

4GB (3.12GB Usable)

Last response: in Overclocking
March 1, 2010 4:53:43 PM

So i've got 4GB of Patriot DDR3 1600MHz with a Phenom II 965, HIS 5850 1GB and a Crosshairs II Mobo with Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit (read from system screen).

In Systems screen under control panel i see:
Installed memory (RAM): 4 GB (3.12 GB usable)

In Windows Task Manageer i see:
Physical Memory (MB)
Total 3199
Cached 623
Available 2132
Free 1649

I searched forums and it sounds like usually this is either because 4GB of ram are installed in a 32-bit operating system or because the video card has dedicated shared memory. I tried the bios setting Memory hole remaping (spelling) and no effect.

Any suggestions?

More about : 4gb 12gb usable

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2010 4:59:57 PM

If you're *sure* you're running the 64 bit version of the OS, from here I see two possibilities. The first is your motherboard may have a limitation - either by design or by BIOS setting. Check your motherboard's support page to verify your motherboard actually supports 4GB of ram or more. Then check your BIOS for a feature called Memory Remapping. If Memory remapping options appear in the BIOS at all, make sure it is turned on.

Click the Start orb, and type in msconfig. Right click the msconfig app to run it as Administrator. That brings up the configuration utility. Click the Boot tab, and then click the Advanced Options button. In that window, there is a setting for Maximum Memory - Make sure the checkbox for it is clear (not checked), then reboot your computer.
m
l
March 1, 2010 6:11:28 PM

I've done both of those things, Memory remapping is enabled and the checkbox box is unclicked. Still only 3.12GB usable. The motherboard supports up to 16GB of ram.

I've also seen other posts like this in the forums with no concrete answers.

m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 12:35:59 PM

OK then - What are you reading when you get this number? Task Manager? Perfmon? or the Resource Monitor? The reason I ask is they all have different views of the world. For example - task Manager discounts memory in use by the Bios and devices.

Use the Resource Monitor instead, as this gives a more read~able display of what is going on.

m
l
April 14, 2010 3:36:20 PM

Hi,

I have just bought a new Compaq laptop and have exactly the same problem.

I have 4GB of Memory installed and it states that my usable memory is only 2.79GB.

My BIOS does not come with the memory mapping feature. Any way else I can boost my memory up to 4GB?

Stupid Windows program.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 3:45:47 PM

If you have integraged video, then the first thing to understand is the system will be using system ram for Video. If you're sure you have a dedicated card in your laptop, then check what operating system you have and whether it's 32 bit or 64 bit. If it's 32 bit, then you're stuck and will have to load a 64 bit versio of the OS to access that much memory.

If you're *sure* you're running the 64 bit version of the OS, from here I see two possibilities. The first is your motherboard may have a limitation - either by design or by BIOS setting. Check your motherboard's support page to verify your motherboard actually supports 4GB of ram or more. Then check your BIOS for a feature called Memory Remapping. If Memory remapping options appear in the BIOS at all, make sure it is turned on.

Click the Start orb, and type in msconfig. Right click the msconfig app to run it as Administrator. That brings up the configuration utility. Click the Boot tab, and then click the Advanced Options button. In that window, there is a setting for Maximum Memory - Make sure the checkbox for it is clear (not checked), then reboot your computer.

m
l
!