Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Complete newbie in need of assistance.

Last response: in Overclocking
March 1, 2010 10:43:48 PM

Greetings to everyone, ** i'm not sure if i had to create a separate thread for the ram questions.. hope it's 'ok' for asking in the CPUs section**

So, i recently got this awesome(for me at least) PC and i must admit that i'm not really into technical stuff and overclocking so it would be lovely if someone can give me some tips and answer some questions of paranoid nature for me.

Okay, so my system:

Mobo: Intel DX58SO
CPU: Intel core i7-920
RAM: Kingston Hyper-x series KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX (in short 6gb of ddr3 ram)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 295

Now, got a mix of questions regarding the CPU and my RAM.. First of all let me say that i got a case with pretty good air flow, the silverstone raven RV01.. now my first question is: Is it safe to OC my CPU(to like 3GHz) with its stock cooling?Same question would be for my RAM.

Also, i'm using intels Desktop control center at the moment - uploaded some pictures so you can get the idea:
Processor - http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/murinus/Proc.pn...
RAM - http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/murinus/Ram.png

So, processor looks okay and all.. but i don't know what to increase etc
As for the memory.. even i can see that something is clearly wrong here, according to kingstons site.. my ram runs @ 1600 and the timings are 9 9 9 27 and memory voltage @ 1.65v :??: 
but as you can see it currently runs @ 1066 and timings are set to 8 8 8 19 and 1.54v .. a little confused here :(  now either the guy that set my PC up did something wrong or i'm mistaken and the settings are fine.
*Don't have much faith in the guy that configured my PC, some time ago i realized that my intel SSD was not in AHCI mode and i had to set it myself(it got like +20% in performance after doing so).

My very last question is a more general one:
By overclocking something, does it make it 'wear' faster and decrease its longevity overall? I'm asking this because i'm not rich, i worked really hard in order to buy this PC and it would suck if by OCing i damaged it in any way.

That will be all, rather messy/long post - hope i can get someone to give me a hand with these things.Thanks.

a c 133 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2010 1:40:52 AM

Ok well overshock has a great guide for overclocking an I7 read it study it and apply it. A moderate overclock that stays within the specs of the maximum voltage for the cpu will not decrease the life span by much if any. Only time you will decrease the life is when you start getting over the safe voltage for it also you have to have proper cooling also since heat will kill you cpu the quickest. Now for your overclock of 3ghz you wont even have to raise the voltage by much if any and you should be fine on the stock cooler if you plan on going higher i would recommend a good after market cooler.
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2010 1:53:24 AM

varulv said:
Now, got a mix of questions regarding the CPU and my RAM.. First of all let me say that i got a case with pretty good air flow, the silverstone raven RV01.. now my first question is: Is it safe to OC my CPU(to like 3GHz) with its stock cooling?Same question would be for my RAM.

First it would be a very good idea to read some OCing guides so you get familiar with the Bios options.

It's never a good idea, especially with an i7, to OC it with the stock cooler. Only you can answer that question, run Prime95 or IBT or OCCT and see what your temperatures are at full load. It would be a good idea to purchase and install a good aftermarket cooler though. As for the ram, running at the max of 1.65v you can push it as far as it will go.

varulv said:
but as you can see it currently runs @ 1066 and timings are set to 8 8 8 19 and 1.54v .. a little confused here :(  now either the guy that set my PC up did something wrong or i'm mistaken and the settings are fine.

If you are going to OC you can leave the ram as set and will give you the headroom for when it's OCed then you can decide on a final ram speed then. If, your not going to be OCing now, YES, set it to the default 1600 speed of the memory.

varulv said:
By overclocking something, does it make it 'wear' faster and decrease its longevity overall? I'm asking this because i'm not rich, i worked really hard in order to buy this PC and it would suck if by OCing i damaged it in any way.

Heat and voltage will degrade your processor (thats why a good cpu cooler is important) so as long as you keep it cool and don't go crazy with your voltages (at or under Intel's specs) it will last a very long time.

March 9, 2010 8:53:49 AM

RJR said:

If you are going to OC you can leave the ram as set and will give you the headroom for when it's OCed then you can decide on a final ram speed then. If, your not going to be OCing now, YES, set it to the default 1600 speed of the memory.

Thanks ALOT, RJR.

So, it is possible/safe to just 'overclock' my ram to run @ 1600 and with timings 9 9 9 27?Or would that not be overclocking at all?
http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr3.asp since if you check here and search for the model "KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX" you'll see that they run @ 1600 and the timings i mentioned.

Also, assuming that it is considered OCing.. will it put 'heat' like you said on my RAM?Will i be needing that hyper-x specific ram cooler?Also, in general - since i'm not touching the CPU, will i see a difference if i make my ram run @ 1600 instead of 1067(current)?
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 2:35:25 PM

You get gains mostly from overclocking the CPU, not the ram. Ram helps, but gains are much smaller.

Your ram can run at that, depends on your mobo, your cooling, and how much you learn about overclocking. Just start reading and take baby steps when making any changes.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 10, 2010 9:18:44 PM

varulv said:
Thanks ALOT, RJR.

So, it is possible/safe to just 'overclock' my ram to run @ 1600 and with timings 9 9 9 27?Or would that not be overclocking at all?
http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr3.asp since if you check here and search for the model "KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX" you'll see that they run @ 1600 and the timings i mentioned.

Also, assuming that it is considered OCing.. will it put 'heat' like you said on my RAM?Will i be needing that hyper-x specific ram cooler?Also, in general - since i'm not touching the CPU, will i see a difference if i make my ram run @ 1600 instead of 1067(current)?

Your right, it's NOT overclocking it at all. Just set your multiplier so it runs at 1600 then change your timings and voltage to match the specs of the ram.

As Conumdrum has stated your biggest boost will be from a cpu OC but it can't hurt getting your monies worth out of your 1600 ram. And NO, heat won't be a problem.
March 15, 2010 1:05:23 PM

Best answer selected by varulv.
!