Computer freezes with new graphics card

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power Supplies
  • Computer
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 1, 2010 11:16:05 PM

I just installed a new Nvidia GeForce GT220 in my pc and as soon as I start it up it freezes on the HP screen. I even followed all the directions and 'disabled' the integrated one. I thought it may be a power supply thing because its rated for a 300w and I have a 300w, but I did a little googling and saw that a few people had the same problem and a better power supply didnt fix it for them. However I could not get any good help. My PCI express slot was not previously occupied.

More about : computer freezes graphics card

a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 5:56:00 PM

Which HP machine do you have?

I have heard of newer video cards(which use x16 v2.0.) not working in motherboards that use pci-e x16 v.1.0, even though they are supposed to work.
m
l
March 4, 2010 8:08:42 PM

I have an HP Pavillion a1523w.

It has an ECS-RC410 motherboard. I have done about everything I possibly could to make it work I even put in a 430W power supply just to make sure, and it still does the same thing.
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2010 4:23:55 AM

Ok, I went out and exchanged the nvidia card for a radeon HD 4650 and it works fine. So I guess the answer to my question was that the Nvidia card was clashing with my integrated ATI chip, as the first responder said.
m
l
March 16, 2010 11:34:02 AM

ATI all the way!!
m
l
!