Currently I have the following parts

Intel Q6600 G0 step CPU;

Sapphire Radeon 4870X2;

Zalmin Dual Heatpipe Cooled 850 watt Power Supply;

Antec 1200 Case;

2x 640 gigs WD HDDs;

the ST 183 CPU cooler;

=====================================================

Anyway, I still in need of a motherboard and RAM to go with these parts. Money is not an issue, have high enough budget to splurge on RAM and Mboard. I've been reading the reviews and I'm still not sure whether to go DDR3 or DDR2. I do overclock on air, and i will later be looking at getting a second 4870X2 in a few months. I am mainly a gamer, but I do have to encode video's of sort and code compilation.

I don't want the latest Core i7, I'm going to wait for the die shrink. But in saying this, is it worth maybe looking at the lowest core i7 cpu? Compared to overclocking my Q6600 to 3 gigahertz or so.

FOR DDR3 :- I was looking at the Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi-AP. Ram wise i need a few ideas and experiences about DDR3 plz.

Else is it worth just to go a DDR2 board, either a x38 or p45 (possibly like the Asus Maximus Formula 2?), and RAM i need some more ideas.

Any directions at what to buy is greatly needed please :) 

EDIT: I know the p45 is only x8 x8 for Crossfire. Would this affect my graphics cards in crossfire forcing me to the x48?
November 3, 2008 6:37:28 PM

if money is no issue get like a q9550 processor. here is some options for a mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
i would base my decision on memory on whether or not you want to keep the memory when you switch to core i7. probably just stick with ddr2 as its cheaper to get more of it.
running crossfire in x8-x8 mode will not significantly decrease your performance. it will a little, but you probably wont notice it.

and if you read the article that toms hardware posted this morning about the core i7 you can make up your own mind on whether to wait for them or not. also fudzilla,and anandtech had reviews on the core i7.
November 3, 2008 6:41:58 PM

if money is not a problem.... core I7 / X58 is the only option.
Related resources
November 3, 2008 6:43:41 PM

Yeah I was thinking about snatching a q9550 :) 

Can I switch over the memory even with the voltage limit of Core i7?
I might just settle with DDR3 anyway. I'll just sell the system back to a friend after i upgrade to core i7 =)

Mmmm same motherboards I was looking at. Toms reviews recommend the p5e3 if I remember right.
November 3, 2008 6:45:19 PM

grieve said:
if money is not a problem.... core I7 / X58 is the only option.

Alright I'll rephrase that :p . I have about $2k to spend on motherboard + ram and if I decide, processor. Thing is, I love in Australia and to get the top of the line core i7 would cost me $2.1k standalone :p 
November 3, 2008 6:48:03 PM

it won't force you to the x48 but if you have the extra cash certainlywont hurt to have 2 pci-e x16 capability. DDR 3 is expensive for the gains you get and as far as the lowest i7 till a die shrink did you see the prices of the mobo's that'll probably eat up your extra budget. If money is really not an issue it may be worth looking into just for futureproofing... and it forces your hand in ddr3 where the ram is spendy as well. Otherwise get a couple of good sticks of ram like ocz reapers and oc the crap outta it.
good luck
November 3, 2008 7:39:52 PM

Quote:
zethex Yeah I was thinking about snatching a q9550 :) 

Can I switch over the memory even with the voltage limit of Core i7?
I might just settle with DDR3 anyway. I'll just sell the system back to a friend after i upgrade to core i7 =)

Mmmm same motherboards I was looking at. Toms reviews recommend the p5e3 if I remember right.

ya you can use ddr3 memory that they sell today with the core i7, just have to make sure its rated at ( i think this is the right voltage) 1.8v. they say stay away from enthusiast memory for core i7.

but like Kurtyboh said, the gains are expensive. i would probably stick with ddr2 memory, unless one of the ddr3 mobos is more attractive to you.
!