$1000 build, multitasking & some gaming. HELP ME PLEASE

derfinot

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Hi,

I am looking for a computer to multitask (burn DVDs, editing, power downloading, etc.). I will play some current games but super high end gaming performance is not crucial.

I have spent the last couple weeks reading for hours a day and I think I have narrowed it down to these parts so far.
Parts I already have
Dell 27 inch Ultrasharp monitor :love:
Keyboard, mouse, optical drives

Parts I am thinking about

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$100

Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
$125

mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
$65

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
$27 (do i need this?)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM
$100

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail
$190

Graphic Card???????? Would like something around $200ish

Mother Board???????? I think p45 is the way to go but can't decide which one

Hard Drive?????????? I want alot of storage

I think that covers everything. Thanks in advance for your help and any suggestions would be appreciated.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
I would recommend waiting until the December to build a new machine as the new i7s are to be released mid-November and prices on the current core models and motherboards should drop due to the entrance of the i7 technology into the market.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Budget? If your going to hold out for the i7 you're going to drop $750 on the mobo, cheapest proc, and DDR3 memory at the absolute least.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Or potentially get a Q9550 on a current Q6600 budget... The current dual and quad cores should drop in price with the release of the i7 cores. As far as the actual savings? We will have wait and see :)

derfinot

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Will we see significant drops in price on the Q9550 before the end of year or just like $30-$50 off?

Also any recomendations for Graphic Cards that fit my needs

It's hard to say at this point how much prices will drop.

Hard to beat this card:
Sapphire 4850

A more expensive option but a really incredible card:
Sapphire 4870 1GB
Although they have not said so, this card is clearly "Vapor-X Chamber" cooled. It's a new technology that's getting rave reviews, cooling video cards from ATI a lot. It's said to be ATIs new reference design, although of course that's being kept quiet as they want to sell existing cards off first ;)

urban_black_redneck

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I don't know about Mushkin, but Kingston makes excellent memory and are a reliable manufacturer.

For about $3 more you can get two separate packages of 2GB DDR2 800 Kingston HiperX. The risk with getting a bundled retail package of sticks is that if one stick fails you have to return all sticks in the package for replacement and your computer has no memory to run on while you wait.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104042

HIS's IceQ series of 4850's have superior cooling over most of the other brands and you can get it with 1GB of memory for $210 (and $10 rebate) at Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161245