After having my computer scanned several times I still have not been able to fin

pollyanna

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I have a HP computer with Windows XP: I don't need to be scanned again by yet another company that doesn't tell you up front that there is a fee to find the necessary drivers for my computer. I have been scanned several times this day and I get the info that there are no drivers for the E and F drive and that they are outdated. HOw does one get updated drivers when they have had scans done repeatedily without any results. Windows tells me that I have the current update for these drivers but the system devices aren't there. The E and F drive that plays the CD's. I get a little green flash and then it's gone. Help me please. I have been trying to do this for a week now. Where do I need to go to get the system drivers for these drives? I am79 and not real computer literate but I try to do what I think should be done.... Thanks

Solution
First step here is to try to reseat the drive cables. Don't pay for any remote scans, they are almost always a scam and don't fix anything. You need to open the case and check the drive cables connection to the motherboard. Even a green PC tech can help you, if you don't know anyone that is capable, should not cost more than $20 to check this, it's literally a 5 minute job.

If the optical drives are not seen by the system either the cables are loose or the drives are dead. A new DVD drive is about $15, $25 for a burner. You don't need 2 of them, just one, unless you are doing disk to disk copies. Installing a new drive is almost as easy as checking the cables.

pollyanna

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
It's not the drivers that do the playing of the CD's that are missing. Device Manager tells me that they can't add anything better then what I already have. It's that the E and F drives are not listed in My computer at all. Nothing there to click on to be able to play the CD's. I only have a C and D drive listed in My computer and Device Manager can't help me find what is not on the computer. Been there done that. I have to know where to go to get them added back to My computer and then I can click on the E drive and will be able to play the CD's. The E drive is the CD drive and F drive is the DVD-RW drive. C drive plays the CD's: for instance...I have a CD that came with a new printer that I need to be able to play it in the E drive so I can properly hook up the printer. BUT there is not an E drive listed in My Computer for me to click on so I can play this CD. Then the F drive will burn from a CD in the E drive when I have a blank disc inserted in this F disc drive when I want to do that. Hope this clears it up better...
I have done searches and everytime it comes back and tells me that they can't find any E or F drive even when I did a complete computer search.

So that's my delima... Thanks Polly

pollyanna

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
No they do not show up on the bios and I don't know how to check the wiring of the CD drives but didn't feel that that was the problem as others were contacting Miscosoft with the same problem. Here today and gone the next. I don't think it is our problem. I think it is there's and they don't know how to fix it. Polly

pollyanna

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I just talked to someone that had the same problem as I have had and they had to buy new drives for the E and F ports I guess you could call them. I would like to see if it's only a new chip that I need before I pay the price for the whole outfit of the drive. Thanks... Polly

First step here is to try to reseat the drive cables. Don't pay for any remote scans, they are almost always a scam and don't fix anything. You need to open the case and check the drive cables connection to the motherboard. Even a green PC tech can help you, if you don't know anyone that is capable, should not cost more than $20 to check this, it's literally a 5 minute job.

If the optical drives are not seen by the system either the cables are loose or the drives are dead. A new DVD drive is about $15, $25 for a burner. You don't need 2 of them, just one, unless you are doing disk to disk copies. Installing a new drive is almost as easy as checking the cables.

Solution

pollyanna

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

hang-the-9: Thanks for your input. I was glad to hear you say not to have those companies scan the computer. They put their address on it and I can't get all of it off... I appreciate your input here.

I will try to open up the computer and check out the cables but as for taking it to have it looked at I can't lift it. I'm 79 and not supposed to lift over 10 lbs. But for your advise. THANKS a million. You were the only one that understood what drives I was talking about. Everyone else was sending me to the device manager and I couldn't get info from there that isn't on the computer... Again Thanks so much... Pollyanna

TRENDING THREADS