Sign in with
Your question

Any Difference between these two?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
March 4, 2009 1:28:45 AM

I am bought a i7 920 ($229) and Im looking for a good mobo to O/C it (my first time). With some digging, researching and got suggestions. I was looking into the eVGA mobo but I noticed that there are 2 of them but the only difference is price. Does anyone know the deep down secret between the 2? Is one an updated version? Here are the 2 boards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

>I'm going with a EVGA 1GB FTW NVidia 285 and will probably buy another later on. I've heard that you can O/C the Sxx series but I don't know if I want to do that since Ive tried to overclock my ATI card that is in my system now and it was a headache/heartburn!

> I do have ATI's 4870 in mind and watching ATI's new card that might be available next month. I'm looking to start ordering the rest of my parts at the end of this month, possibly at the beginning of April depending on when my refund check is coming.> I don't want to pay 500 and up on a video card but I do want it to last me a while which is why Im going for Nehalem now and wont be upgrading for a while. Im doing a total revamping--going to a full tower to a 24" LCD.

More about : difference

a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2009 12:42:50 PM

The only things I see is that one has all the retail packaging listed, the other does not. Read the reviews, the cheaper one has had an instance of missing an item in the packaging, AND it only has a 1 year warranty. The more expensive board has a lifetime warranty. Kind of fishy smelling to me........could it be a factory return that has been tested and repacked at the factory, and sent back out as a new item?
March 4, 2009 2:09:06 PM

Can't find anything concrete, the TR model isn't even listed on EVGA's website. Stick with the board that has the warranty.
Related resources
March 4, 2009 10:40:25 PM

Hello,
I Will Save You The Trouble As I Have Been Through This Already. The TR Models Are Boards That Were RMA'd And Nvidia/EVGA/Intel Either Couldnt Find Any Problems With It Or The Board May Not Run The Advertised Maximum Overclock Speeds But Works Fine Other Than That. There Also May Be A Few Less Accessories Packed With The TR Version. The TR Model Carries A 1+1 Year Warranty And A1 Boards Carry A Life Time Warranty If Registered Before The 30 Day Registration Deadline.
March 4, 2009 11:15:34 PM

Thanx everyone.

Is the EVGA board (the one with the lifetime warranty) better or equal with that of the Asus V2 board that I see is very popular?
March 5, 2009 1:19:57 AM

mikeny said:
Thanx everyone.

Is the EVGA board (the one with the lifetime warranty) better or equal with that of the Asus V2 board that I see is very popular?

I Am Very Pickey About The MainBoards I Use And I Just Haven't Really Used ASUS. I Have Been Using EVGA / Foxconn Mainboards Here Recently. Foxconn Make All Of EVGA And XFX Mainboards And They Make Many Of The Proprietary Components Found In Store Bought Computers. I'm Not Really A Hard Core Foxconn Person But I Have Been Building Systems For Almost 20 Years And I Have Not Seen One Fail Me Yet. They Also Have A Very Good Series Of Mainboards Themselves That Are Geared Towards Everyday Joes And Enthusiats. I Have Heard Really Good Things About The EVGA X58 Mainboards And Seeing That 342 PPL Have Left Reviews On Newegg Versus The 9 Reviews Left On the Asus v2 Board I Would Say Get The EVGA Board Hands Down. Its Obvious By The Numbers Which Is Better.
Both Boards Are Nearly Identical As Far As Features And Components Go, The Only Big Difference I See Between Them Is The Asus Board Is Claiming DDR3 Speeds Up To 2000MHZ, But They Are Not Claiming Sli Or Crossfire Ready. The EVGA Board Is Claiming A 3Way Sli And Crossfire Ready With DDR3 1600 Speeds. Now, I Know How Difficult It Can Be To Get DDR3 2000Mhz Speeds Stable And Set Properly In The Bios, So I Would Assume That EVGA Is Covering Themsleves There With The Lower Number. If You Can Get The Board To Run At 2000Mhz Thats Great...But PPL Wont Be Able to RMA The Board If They Cant Because EVGA Don't Claim 2000mhz. Besides Lower Latency Ram Like DDR3 1800 / 1600MHZ At 8-8-8-22 2t or 7-7-7-20 2t Will Out Benchmark Higher Latency Ram Such As DDR3 2000 MHZ at 9-9-9-24 2t Anyways, Ive Seen That Myself. Remeber If You Buy Good Ram And A Good Board You Can Manipulate And Scale The Ram / Mainboard Speeds To Your Likings In Most Cases.

I Guess You Would Need To Ask Yourself What You Will Be Using This Comp For The Most Part....Gaming, Applications...etc??? Or Extreme Overclocking?

Even Then At This Point I Would Still Jump On The EVGA x58.
March 5, 2009 1:58:58 AM

Gaming. 100% gaming :) 

I was going to pair it will a EVGA GTX 285 (probably with a twin for SLI :)  and 6Gb (triple ram) Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600. I saw that EVGA had over 300 reviews and I see people gush at their video cards also.
March 5, 2009 2:10:55 AM

Just Remeber That All these Boards Only Claim Overclock Speeds On Memory And Mainboard With Triple Channel Memory Populated In 3 Dimms...Not 6.
If You Are Going To Attempt 6 Dimms I Would Suggest You Try to Find A Sick Pack Of Dimms That Match 100 Percent (Voltage, Rated Speed Batch Number, Version Number....ETC) Or You Are Asking for A Really Bad Headache And Possible Terrible Problems.
I've Been There Too And 90 Percent Of The Time It Does Not Work.
March 5, 2009 2:19:18 AM

Lord_Hades said:
Hello,
I Will Save You The Trouble As I Have Been Through This Already. The TR Models Are Boards That Were RMA'd And Nvidia/EVGA/Intel Either Couldnt Find Any Problems With It Or The Board May Not Run The Advertised Maximum Overclock Speeds But Works Fine Other Than That. There Also May Be A Few Less Accessories Packed With The TR Version. The TR Model Carries A 1+1 Year Warranty And A1 Boards Carry A Life Time Warranty If Registered Before The 30 Day Registration Deadline.

Are you sure that these are boards that were returned for RMA? How do you know? Nowhere does it say that they are returns/ refurbished. How can these be sold as new? I've bought -TR evga video card models before. I knew they only had the 1+1 warranty, not lifetime. But besides that, nothing said anywhere that it's not brand new.
March 5, 2009 2:21:29 AM

6? I was going to get 3x2GB sticks of ram for 6GB. A kit with 3 sticks. I wasn't going to get 6 sticks.
March 5, 2009 2:51:34 AM

orangegator said:
Are you sure that these are boards that were returned for RMA? How do you know? Nowhere does it say that they are returns/ refurbished. How can these be sold as new? I've bought -TR evga video card models before. I knew they only had the 1+1 warranty, not lifetime. But besides that, nothing said anywhere that it's not brand new.

Yes, Im Sure. The "TR" Board I Recieved From EVGA Had Two Serial Numbers And Partnumber Stickers On it. The First One Was Partially Covered Up By The Other And Read 132-CK-NF79-A1 Which Is A New Board. The Second Sticker Was 132-CK-NF79-TR. I Called EVGA And Talked To Them About This. I Was Told That They Were Repackaged And May Have Less Accessories, Did Not Carry A Lifetime Warranty And That They Could Not Say Anything More About it. they Were Also Very Short About My Questions So I Sent The Thing Back To New Egg And Payed The Extra Money For A New Board With the Lifetime Warranty.
I Know Its Hard To Swallow But Consider The Amount Of Boards That Were Made And How Many Ppl Have No Idea How To Set Them Up Properly So They Were RMA'd. When They Arrive Back To EVGA They Are Tested For Functionality And Nothing Can Be Found Wrong With Them.....So Why Not Repackage Them And Give Them Another Serial Number. I Mean What Else Are They Going To Do With Them?

If You Go Out And Look Hard Enough...You Will Find Same Answer Im Giving You About This.
March 5, 2009 2:55:47 AM

mikeny said:
6? I was going to get 3x2GB sticks of ram for 6GB. A kit with 3 sticks. I wasn't going to get 6 sticks.

Then You Would Be Fine But There Are 6 Slots On The Board, And I Am Sure Someone Will Attempt To Fill All 6 Slots With Something And May Not Like The Results. It Been Tried. It's Always Best To Populate The Dimms With The Fewest Number Of Ram Modules While Retaining Full Triple Channel Speeds With The Target Amount Of Ram You Want To Have.
March 5, 2009 3:59:33 AM

Gah! Lord_Hades! Why do you capitalize every word? It's extremely difficult to read!

March 5, 2009 11:50:41 PM

Lord_Hades said:
Then You Would Be Fine But There Are 6 Slots On The Board, And I Am Sure Someone Will Attempt To Fill All 6 Slots With Something And May Not Like The Results. It Been Tried. It's Always Best To Populate The Dimms With The Fewest Number Of Ram Modules While Retaining Full Triple Channel Speeds With The Target Amount Of Ram You Want To Have.

Oh ok. Were you thinking that I said that I was going to get 6 sticks? I meant to say that I was getting 3 sticks of 2GB ram each for triple channel and total 6GB worth. I was asking around if I should go to 12GB but everyone says 6GB total is fine.

P.S I don't care about the capitalization :) 
March 6, 2009 3:24:25 AM

Yea, I misread your post about how many ram modules you were going to use. sorry

and look i did not capitalize....
!