Sign in with
Your question

Water Cooling is it worth the hype

Last response: in Overclocking
March 2, 2010 3:43:48 AM

In a couple of months i will be over clocking ram and my cpu 17 920 maybe my video card if I feel like it, I just want to know is water cooling that much better that the traditional fan and a aftermarket cpu/gpu cooler. If not I will buy a water cooling setup cost really isnt a issue here.
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 2, 2010 4:11:06 AM

Hehe, you need to start at the top of the forum here. Might want to learn to overclocking and find a good air solution first.

Never hear of a 17 920. We don't cool our ram, a good air solution is enough.

Got a lot to learn, no need to spend $250+ just to learn overclocking is past your current abilities.

SLOOOOWWWW DOWNNN. Learn. Dreaming is great untill you ruin a $200 Mobo or a $300 GPU. Your stuff!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2010 5:35:06 AM

Conumdrum said:
Hehe, you need to start at the top of the forum here. Might want to learn to overclocking and find a good air solution first.

Never hear of a 17 920. We don't cool our ram, a good air solution is enough.

Got a lot to learn, no need to spend $250+ just to learn overclocking is past your current abilities.

SLOOOOWWWW DOWNNN. Learn. Dreaming is great untill you ruin a $200 Mobo or a $300 GPU. Your stuff!

Agreed :whistle: 
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2010 3:55:25 PM

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Well, it's still no... unless you're running an extreme setup and willing to spend a ton of money on high end components. Otherwise, a nice case with good airflow and a high-end (~$60) air cooler will get you where you need to be.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2010 10:01:21 PM

On the temerature front, watercooling is the best thing ever. However you will notice with watercooling that temperatures isn't your main concer. Voltage is.

Even though I have watercooling, I don't max out my CPU overclock because I don't want to feed it a million volts. An air cooler will get you close enough. I do like the extra headroom on my videocard though since the stock cooler runs it at 80C to 90C for most people.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2010 10:11:47 PM

Its also a extension of the hobby ,computer building/over clocking, one more experiment to tinker with. Its very worth it for the shear fun of it, for some.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 4:31:21 AM

I think back on all the money I spent on air coolers, compared to what I could have spent on a decent radiator, pump and cpu block adapters. seems like it could have been a wash. But with coolers like the corsair h50 I would say NO, unless your upping volts.
m
l
a c 197 U Graphics card
a c 136 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 2:38:23 PM

I agree with Rodney. Water + Electronics do NOT mix (too many forum threads describing disasters when something leaked), unless you have the sort of system constraints more typical of NASA or other specialized scientific endeavor, OR want to do it just for the sense of accomplishment that notty22 describes AND have the time, patience, and money to learn it and do it right (i.e. with quality parts), AND can afford the risk of destroyed components.
m
l
!