Sign in with
Your question

How to setup raid 0 in GA-X58A-UD7

Last response: in Storage
April 8, 2010 6:28:31 PM

Hello,
i have GA-X58A-UD7 and i7 930 on it , when i try to make a raid 0 using 2hdd of 1 tera caviar black it fails , what i did is enable extrene hdd on bios and then make a raid0 of 1.8 tera using the bios then i install win7 64 bit with the driver for the raid .. it install but when booting it stops after the windows loading screen .. any ideas , plz help me if u can

More about : setup raid x58a ud7

April 8, 2010 6:35:13 PM

just to make this clear , i want to setup raid 0 on the sata 3 ports with2 hdd , please if someone can guide me coz this is my 1st time to ever setup a raid 0
m
l
April 13, 2010 3:28:24 PM

not a single reply .. thx anyway ...
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2010 8:26:55 AM

sushix said:

MARVELL drivers is no good!!!! Us INTEL ICH10R
m
l
May 19, 2010 8:37:35 AM

sushix said:

Plus 2hdd of 1 tera caviar black heaw to be SATA3 in order to us MARVELL 9128. GSATA3 is 6/7 connectors on motherbord.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 19, 2010 3:34:31 PM

Sorry Sushix don't know how you slipped through the cracks.

Okay. You built the array in the intel matrix storage manager? Then you tried to load win7 onto the array using a win7 disk? Or using an image?

I realize this is almost 2 weeks too late. Maybe you figured it out? Or gave up?
m
l
May 26, 2010 10:43:02 PM

thx for the reply eventhough its late , actually i gave up on replies but not on building the raid ..

so far since i got no reply i got crucial SSD sata 3 and i still hope that i can make a raid0 using another one , i still have the 2 hdd of 1 tera each and they r both sata 3 drives .
what i did is i tried all thing .. installation of a fresh copy then trying to make the raid0 , i also used the bios in another try to make a virtual disk for raid 0 using the program in the bios and i did get a larger disk but it did not accept booting , install was so normal but when i get the loading windows screen it stops and reboot.. this btw was with the etreme disk enabled ..
i think the sata 3 raid0 is marvel in the motherboard and i dont know how to change it to intel drivers.

i still wish to learn and build the raid0 so if any1 have an idea plz help me and thx.
m
l
May 26, 2010 10:45:51 PM

adampower said:
Sorry Sushix don't know how you slipped through the cracks.

Okay. You built the array in the intel matrix storage manager? Then you tried to load win7 onto the array using a win7 disk? Or using an image?

I realize this is almost 2 weeks too late. Maybe you figured it out? Or gave up?

thx for reply , hope u can help me or even keep the thread alive hoping others can do so if u cant , i'll be waiting for ur post and btw my mail is majedcom@yahoo.com if needed .

thx and regards
m
l
a b G Storage
May 27, 2010 2:27:32 AM

I could email but that takes out the rest of the forum. Admittedly we haven't been much help yet but... wait till we get to the meat of things and they will likely save your bacon.

So, you don't need much help as buying an SSD is a better upgrade than the RAID.

However, this is the RAID forum and we should help you build. Those nice new FAEX cav. black 1tb drives are SATA3 but will NEVER need anything more than SATA2 (and actually I can't see the difference on SATA1). So plug them into 2 of the 6 SATA2 ports which come off your southbridge (ie ich10r).

Now, Win7 needs to load the drivers for RAID, (or AHCI, IDE, etc). If you set up the RAID and then use a win7 disk to load a fresh copy it will do it for you. If you take an image of your single disk win7 partition and try to put it on a RAID 0 array it will not load windows.

How did you attempt to load win7 onto the striped array?
m
l
May 27, 2010 7:56:08 PM

i did both actually , i tried raid0 setup then installing win7 and this was my focus actually .. i tried letting it to win7 to load the driver and i even tried to manually install the driver during the installation process .. but here is my 2 cent .. i think imo that the problem is bios related .. i.e how i set the ports .. it seems i need to change the way the HDD is acting from IDE to AHCI but when i tried that my disks dont boot ..
and beside that , eventhough i will lose trim but my raid0 using the SSD's i will gain faster reads still and that is my aim .. and again the sata 3 DOES have better performance as for what i noted in boots and opening apps and so on .. even sata 2 ssd and hdd do have a lil better performance on sata3 ports eventhough at times i feel the sustained writes are a lil down.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 27, 2010 10:24:08 PM

Interesting. I didn't think spinners could reach 3Gb/s. Or are you talking about the SSDs?

If you change your bios from IDE to AHCI you need to tell the Win7 registry BEFORE you reboot and make the change. Search for msahci on win7 forums or google it. You'll find a tutorial somewhere. Basically it needs to be set to '0' for ahci or '3' for ide/raid (in my understanding).
m
l
May 29, 2010 5:54:55 PM

well do they reach 3gb/s or not i am not sure , but is there a better performance .. hell ya ..
and that goes for both SSD and HDD

my question is there a performance difference between IDE & AHCI when i set up my bios .. and why my raid 0 is not booting even in IDE setup .. well it would be better if someone can guide me coz i might be doing something totally wrong from the start and i think am doing proper thing ..

i will look up this AHCI eventhough in other motherboards i just change the setup and load the driver during installation .. dunno if its different in UD7..

anyway thx for the help
m
l
!