Time Shifting

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 9, 2005 11:54:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

When I'm forced to go digital, will I still be able to watch one
broadcast program while recording another (VCR). I understand my
current antenna will still be viable, so the splitter for 2 TVs should
be good. Hopefully.

---
Dave
Central Mass. USA

To email: Replace
mailinator.com with email.com

More about : time shifting

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:07:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

>When I'm forced to go digital, will I still be able to watch one
>broadcast program while recording another (VCR). I understand my

Can your recorder control the channel on the HD receiver? If not,
your timed recording may become very inconvenient (you have to manually
set the channel, as the old VCR with the analog tuner can't change
channels). If you get a new recorder with its own tuner, you won't
have this problem.

>current antenna will still be viable, so the splitter for 2 TVs should
>be good. Hopefully.

You need two digital tuners to record one channel and watch another
at the same time. You didn't say what you were going to replace
when you "go digital". If you buy ONE digital tuner set-top-box,
and that's all you change, NO, you can't record one channel while
watching another.

Antenna splitters should still work fine (I'm using a splitter to
feed one digital receiver and some analog recorders, and it works).
At this point, it's still essentially an analog signal whether the
encoding is digital or not.

Gordon L. Burditt
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:17:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 02:07:24 -0000, gordonb.kgdo2@burditt.org (Gordon
Burditt) wrote:

>>When I'm forced to go digital, will I still be able to watch one
>>broadcast program while recording another (VCR). I understand my
>
>Can your recorder control the channel on the HD receiver? If not,
>your timed recording may become very inconvenient (you have to manually
>set the channel, as the old VCR with the analog tuner can't change
>channels). If you get a new recorder with its own tuner, you won't
>have this problem.

I currently have broadcast TV with an antenna, no cable - no
satellite. The wire comes off the antenna and is connected to a
splitter which then goes to 2 VCRs attached to TVs. The VCRs do
change channels via pre-programming. But that's analog, does this
mean the VCRs will still work with digital but wont be able to
automatically change channels?

>>current antenna will still be viable, so the splitter for 2 TVs should
>>be good. Hopefully.
>
>You need two digital tuners to record one channel and watch another
>at the same time. You didn't say what you were going to replace
>when you "go digital". If you buy ONE digital tuner set-top-box,
>and that's all you change, NO, you can't record one channel while
>watching another.

This sounds like what I would have to do if I had cable. I'm hoping
it's not what I have to do for digital broadcast. I understand that
my TVs wont work after the stations stop broadcasting in analog. When
that happens, new TVs are a must, but will my current VCRs
(non-digital) still work, and if not, is there a work-a-round other
than buying DVRs?

>Antenna splitters should still work fine (I'm using a splitter to
>feed one digital receiver and some analog recorders, and it works).
>At this point, it's still essentially an analog signal whether the
>encoding is digital or not.

I'm hoping the above means; I have analog now, when digital is a must
only a new TV is required, all other equipment is the same and works
the same.

Thanks,
---
Dave
Central Mass. USA

To email: Replace
mailinator.com with email.com
June 10, 2005 5:47:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

>>>When I'm forced to go digital, will I still be able to watch one
>>>broadcast program while recording another (VCR). I understand my
>>
>>Can your recorder control the channel on the HD receiver? If not,
>>your timed recording may become very inconvenient (you have to manually
>>set the channel, as the old VCR with the analog tuner can't change
>>channels). If you get a new recorder with its own tuner, you won't
>>have this problem.
>>

>I currently have broadcast TV with an antenna, no cable - no
>satellite. The wire comes off the antenna and is connected to a
>splitter which then goes to 2 VCRs attached to TVs. The VCRs do
>change channels via pre-programming. But that's analog, does this
>mean the VCRs will still work with digital but wont be able to
>automatically change channels?

After the analog shutoff, the analog tuners in your VCRs are pretty
much useless. They can still tune channel 3 or 4 from another VCR
or game box, but you won't have more than one channel to choose
from. That means the ability for the VCR to change channels is
gone, unless it can control an external box. You can still use
your VCR to play or record via A/V or S/Video or Component inputs
and outputs, assuming it has them.

>>>current antenna will still be viable, so the splitter for 2 TVs should
>>>be good. Hopefully.
>>
>>You need two digital tuners to record one channel and watch another
>>at the same time. You didn't say what you were going to replace
>>when you "go digital". If you buy ONE digital tuner set-top-box,
>>and that's all you change, NO, you can't record one channel while
>>watching another.
>>

>This sounds like what I would have to do if I had cable. I'm hoping
>it's not what I have to do for digital broadcast.

Yes, it pretty much is.

>I understand that
>my TVs wont work after the stations stop broadcasting in analog. When

Your TVs tuners won't work. Your TVs display will work fine (though
not in high resolution) if you feed it A/V, S/Video, or Component
inputs. Analog TVs will also work fine with RF outputs from analog
VCRs or game boxes, but I'd recommend using A/V, S/Video, or Component
inputs if possible. You won't be able to change channels with the
TV remote control unless it controls other devices, just select
from the inputs if it's got more than one.

>that happens, new TVs are a must, but will my current VCRs
>(non-digital) still work, and if not, is there a work-a-round other
>than buying DVRs?

I am minimally ready for the switchover: I have a digital receiver
set-top box with S/Video outputs. My DVR has the ability to control
the channel on an external box (via IR blaster), but it DOESN'T
know how to change the channel on the digital receiver. That means
I need a DVR firmware upgrade, a new DVR, or I'll be setting the
channel manually. Right now if I want to record a digital program,
I'm setting the channel manually. There is also the issue of the DVR
understanding channel numbers with dashes in them, and digital
channel numbers in the guide data. Also, I cannot watch one
DIGITAL program while recording another DIGITAL program.

I do not have a new TV. That means I watch digital programs
letterboxed, and I don't get a high-resolution display (not that
I'm likely to be able to tell the difference on a 20" TV). A
digital-ready DVR is really higher priority than a new TV for me,
although both are too expensive at the moment.

>>Antenna splitters should still work fine (I'm using a splitter to
>>feed one digital receiver and some analog recorders, and it works).
>>At this point, it's still essentially an analog signal whether the
>>encoding is digital or not.
>>

>I'm hoping the above means; I have analog now, when digital is a must
>only a new TV is required, all other equipment is the same and works
>the same.

Sorry, that's not the way it works.

Gordon L. Burditt
June 10, 2005 5:52:27 PM

Dave McAuliffe <DaveMcA@email.com> wrote:

>When I'm forced to go digital, will I still be able to watch one
>broadcast program while recording another (VCR). I understand my
>current antenna will still be viable, so the splitter for 2 TVs should
>be good.

To record one thing and watch another, you'll need 2 devices with
digital tuners. Either 2 external digital tuners or a new digital TV
and digital VCR.

<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8157867/&gt;
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:24:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:47:35 -0000, gordonb.8b53s@burditt.org (Gordon
Burditt) wrote:

<A very comprehensive reply>

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. It is much
appreciated, and I'm grateful.

---

!