I've checked the mouse section in Control Panel and couldn't find anything
about my problem. I'll be using the mouse and all of a suddent the pointer
will zip over to one of the four corners of the screen. I end up hitting
the Start button a lot, or pulling down the File menu or closing the window.
I don't know why it does this but I'd like it to stop!

--
Liz

It could be the driver, check the manufactrer's web site for an updated
version of the driver.

"Elizabeth Blake" <poodlebone@spamless.earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've checked the mouse section in Control Panel and couldn't find anything
> about my problem. I'll be using the mouse and all of a suddent the
> pointer will zip over to one of the four corners of the screen. I end up
> hitting the Start button a lot, or pulling down the File menu or closing
> the window. I don't know why it does this but I'd like it to stop!
>
> --
> Liz

"Elizabeth Blake" <poodlebone@spamless.earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've checked the mouse section in Control Panel and couldn't find anything
> about my problem. I'll be using the mouse and all of a suddent the
> pointer will zip over to one of the four corners of the screen. I end up
> hitting the Start button a lot, or pulling down the File menu or closing
> the window. I don't know why it does this but I'd like it to stop!

I once experimented with using the MS Intellimouse driver on a Logitech
mouse, it seemed to work OK apart from the cursor sporadically scuttling
across to the side of the screen like a startled rabbit! Motto: use the
right drivers for your hardware.

--
Regards,
Chris Luck

"Chris Luck" <chris@bvhg.freeXYZserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Elizabeth Blake" <poodlebone@spamless.earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I've checked the mouse section in Control Panel and couldn't find
>> anything
>> about my problem. I'll be using the mouse and all of a suddent the
>> pointer will zip over to one of the four corners of the screen. I end up
>> hitting the Start button a lot, or pulling down the File menu or closing
>> the window. I don't know why it does this but I'd like it to stop!
>

> I once experimented with using the MS Intellimouse driver on a Logitech
> mouse, it seemed to work OK apart from the cursor sporadically scuttling
> across to the side of the screen like a startled rabbit! Motto: use the
> right drivers for your hardware.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Chris Luck

I just got the computer (Dell) in May, and I can't remember if the mouse has
always done this or not. I know I've been aware of it since last month,
when it rally started to annoy me. The mouse just says Dell, so I'm not
sure of the actual brand. It's an optica mouse with a scroll wheel.

--
Liz

Fastboatslowcomp

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2005
Sorry I don't have anything constructive to say about this moving pointer problem but my pointer at work will move on its own too. We use Windows 2000 and I know I am not the only one at work that has this happen. A co-worker with a laptop also has this problem and it seems even worse because the pointer moves so fast it can't be used for short periods of time. Mine at least stops moving and comes under control when I move the mouse.

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
The biggest problem with optical "mice" is the surface they are used on. They have problems on most semi-gloss type surfaces that I have encountered. I've had the same problem before and started using a good cloth mousepad to clear it up.

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Could be a dirty mouse sensor (try a diffrent mouse or clean) or I have have this problem with some KVM switches (mostly belkin).

doglips

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
had the same problem....ya it sucks....took the crappy mouse and thru it away! :( went and bought a really cool new one :) loaded new drivers for new one ......works great.....spend a little bit more $ get a good one.....