Sign in with
Your question

How to know if my processor is not working

Last response: in Components
January 29, 2009 4:36:08 AM

junmar
razirshop@yahoo.com

hi. Could any one help or suggest me how to fix this problem. I have a intel motherboard and a pentium 4 processor, accidentaly my processor's heat sink got damage and it cant be locked anymore so i try to buy and changed it, an ASUS heat sink is i get and as i put it, it seems so compatible, but as i turn it on for test, no bleeps come, no signal, but the fan is working(not like the original heat sink which is damaged that i test that the fan on the processor is having an auto shutdown). Could any one tell me how to know if my processor is not working? thnx a lot.

More about : processor working

January 29, 2009 7:56:46 AM

If there are no beeps, is this different to how it used to act when first turned on?

I think the only thing you can do is try with another processor.
January 29, 2009 8:00:11 AM

How did you damage the heatsink, and what sort of damage?
Any chance of some pics?
Related resources
January 30, 2009 1:01:08 AM

the locks of the heat sink have been totally cracked. so it cant be put in the motherboard anymore.
January 30, 2009 1:01:45 AM

mi1ez said:
If there are no beeps, is this different to how it used to act when first turned on?

I think the only thing you can do is try with another processor.

no it does'nt. At first the fan from the heat sink of the processor used to stop within a seconds after turning on so i think the processor is taking a auto shut down. but now the fan working properly, but no reactions from the processor. i think tour right to try it through another processor. thnx 4 replying. i will post up wat happen after my observation after trying another processor.
January 30, 2009 3:08:50 AM

Hey welcome to the forums junmar. By chance do you have any LEDs on the board that would indicate some sort of error code?

Changing a heat sink shouldn't kill your CPU. It is like you are telling us that your computer stopped working the day that you hung a new picture on your wall. Your system has no way of telling what heatsink is on your CPU. ..there just isn't a connection between the two.

It does get information about the fan that you plug in however. At first I was thinking that perhaps your ASUS heatsink fan is busted or not plugged in correctly but if it spins then it sounds like it is ok.

Something I find suspicious is that your first heatsink was damaged. How did it get damaged? Did you bump it with something? Is it possible that you bumped something so hard that your CPU came unseated from the socket? I don't see that as being very possible but who knows.

If something hit your heatsink really hard and cracked the components that lock it down, I would take your CPU out and inspect the pins. Hopefully nothing is bent.

If it is was just worn out from old age then the other thing could be a problem is how long it ran like that. You could have been overheating your CPU and not knowing it if the heatsink wasn't tight to the CPU. Have you had instability like the dreaded blue screens towards the last few days before installing the new heatsink?

I guess the bottom line is try a different CPU but I am baffled if one day it was working perfectly and after changing the heatsink it is dies. Hopefully you can figure it out. Good luck.
January 30, 2009 8:24:57 AM

SpinachEater said:
Hey welcome to the forums junmar. By chance do you have any LEDs on the board that would indicate some sort of error code?

Changing a heat sink shouldn't kill your CPU. It is like you are telling us that your computer stopped working the day that you hung a new picture on your wall. Your system has no way of telling what heatsink is on your CPU. ..there just isn't a connection between the two.

It does get information about the fan that you plug in however. At first I was thinking that perhaps your ASUS heatsink fan is busted or not plugged in correctly but if it spins then it sounds like it is ok.

Something I find suspicious is that your first heatsink was damaged. How did it get damaged? Did you bump it with something? Is it possible that you bumped something so hard that your CPU came unseated from the socket? I don't see that as being very possible but who knows.

If something hit your heatsink really hard and cracked the components that lock it down, I would take your CPU out and inspect the pins. Hopefully nothing is bent.

If it is was just worn out from old age then the other thing could be a problem is how long it ran like that. You could have been overheating your CPU and not knowing it if the heatsink wasn't tight to the CPU. Have you had instability like the dreaded blue screens towards the last few days before installing the new heatsink?

I guess the bottom line is try a different CPU but I am baffled if one day it was working perfectly and after changing the heatsink it is dies. Hopefully you can figure it out. Good luck.

to you mister SpinachEater,

Thanks a lot for the great suggestion. after i read that i feel i learn new things(even without applying). Its my fault why the heatsink got crack, i used to clean all the peripheral and hardware parts of my computer, while im in the situation of cleaning the CPU, i disassembled the heat sink of the CPU, when im done of cleaning it, i put it back, but i think i put it hard and not proper and the locks get cracked.

im familiar with the blue screen you are telling, but i can say that it does not appear through the early times that im using that computer.

i will try sir to try another CPU, or to try my CPU through another Computer. Again, thanks a lot, Sir ^^.
January 30, 2009 9:05:03 AM

Probably cracked the chip if you forced too hard unfortunately.
January 30, 2009 5:03:19 PM

MOBO or CPU busted .. :( 
January 30, 2009 6:15:00 PM

SpinachEater said:

Not if he ran the computer when the latches were bust. Then the processor would overheat and he would be relying on the thermal monitoring to shut things down in time and that isn't always reliable.
January 30, 2009 7:51:27 PM

Right. I was just talking about the physical difference between two heatsinks...swapping to a new one should not have an impact on the CPU if correctly installed.

What you said is what I think happened to him...the first heatsink wasn't locked down to the CPU so it was allowing the temps to get out of hand. What I don't get though is that it sounds like the CPU was working when he took the original heatsink out and stopped working after the new one was put on.

Unless he didn't put thermal paste on the CPU for the new heatsink and it somehow burned up instantly.... I would think even without thermal paste, the heatsink would work well enough to keep the CPU under damaging temperatures though.

January 31, 2009 10:14:06 AM

As long as the heatsink physically fits it should work.

Try to clear the cmos with the jumper on the board(Check the manual)
You can try to reseat the cpu to make sure its in there good.
Make sure you use fresh thermal past when installing a heatsink as old stuff may cause it to heat up and auto shut off to protect it self.

Last thing, remove you e-mail from the top post. You are just begging the ad bots to get you with tons of spam. There is an option on here to get e-mail when your threads get a reply.
!