Asus D2X vs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

fragr

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I'm in dilemma for which sound card to get and have heard various opinions on both sound cards. With drivers aside, which sound card is better for gaming? The Asus Xonar D2X or the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional sound card? Also I listen to a lot of a music but I'm mostly concerned for gaming performance. From what you guys know and have seen, which sound card is better?

-Thanks

ixion

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Technically the Xonar D2X is the better card, however it doesn't always support EAX5 etc in games as it uses a wrapper. So if it's ultimate quality you want go for the Xonar, if it's full support in more games go for the X-Fi. My preference would be the Xonar as at least that way you don't have to deal with Creative Labs awful drivers, especially with Windows 7 looming on the horizon.

fragr

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
How does the D2X compare with the X-Fi Fatal1ty in sorround sound for games like Counter-Strike? I use Sennheiser HD-555 headphones and I remember with my old X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card the positional performance of sound was awesome. Is the D2X equal, if not better than the X-Fi Fatal1ty for positional sounding?

With long ago issues with bloated and poor quality Creative drivers, I've always preferred M-Audio or the Asus cards - the separation characteristics (and therefore the quality of the positioning) are IMO superior to anything Creative have done and for music at least, on par with the M-Audio cards.

fragr

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
My XtremeMusic was in my old system that I sold to my friend. I ended up getting the Asus Xonar D2X which I'm in love with. Very great card!