Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDD Problems

Last response: in Storage
April 9, 2010 12:28:34 AM

I am new to servers and their technologies I am trying to install a new HDD on a server the BIOS is seeing it but Win Server 2003 is not.

the server is a intel sc5300 chassis with a SE7520BD22S motherboard and 6 disk ultra320 scusi bay with controller in raid 0,1. this is the first time i install a hard drive on the bay. AS a stated before I am clueles on wha the next actions shall be. I am lost in what to do next. I will really appreciate anybodys help.

More about : hdd problems

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
April 9, 2010 12:59:12 AM

You need to find the documentation for your server. If the drive has been attached to a bay that's connected to a RAID controller than you'll need to configure it in the RAID controller before Windows will be able to see it. It doesn't have to be RAID, but it will have to be configured.

If you've already done that, then the other possibility is that it just hasn't been partitioned and formatted yet. Go into Disk Management:

Start -> Right-click on "Computer", select "Manage" -> Click "Disk Management" in the left pane

Look for the drive in the LOWER part of the RIGHT pane. If it's there and doesn't show a drive letter, then right-click it to create a volume and then format it.
April 9, 2010 3:26:20 AM

sminlal said:
You need to find the documentation for your server. If the drive has been attached to a bay that's connected to a RAID controller than you'll need to configure it in the RAID controller before Windows will be able to see it. It doesn't have to be RAID, but it will have to be configured.

If you've already done that, then the other possibility is that it just hasn't been partitioned and formatted yet. Go into Disk Management:

Start -> Right-click on "Computer", select "Manage" -> Click "Disk Management" in the left pane

Look for the drive in the LOWER part of the RIGHT pane. If it's there and doesn't show a drive letter, then right-click it to create a volume and then format it.

Thanks for your prompt reply I fixed following your instructions. I hope I can reciprocate your kindness and prompt answer one day. God Bless. ;-)
m
l
April 9, 2010 3:27:28 AM

Best answer selected by bob32746.
m
l
!