Sign in with
Your question

Overclock RAM Upgrade Question, Lord Help Me

Last response: in Memory
March 4, 2009 11:47:40 AM

Ok, So I'm just getting into overclocking(running at a 3% rise for over 14hours, ran prime95 overnight, need to run memtest) and I'm planning on upgrading my RAM. Here's my set up:

Gateway - Using CPUCool to overclock
CPU - P4 3.06ghz(running at 3.16ghz)
Motherboard - Intel Corporation D915GVSE3
FSB - Intel Net Burst, 64bit, 138ghz Real, 551 Effective
PLL- ICS 954103
RAM - (2) 512mb OCZ DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (4.0-4-4-12 @ 333 MHz), Serial # OCZ2667512ELGE

Not sure how high I can go but I'm thinking at least 3.3ghz.

Now, I've read a lot on upgrading RAM but every time I think I have it figured out, something else I read makes me completely lose the idea in my head. I need help. I want to go with (2) 1gb G.Skill DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) but I'm thinking it might be too high of a ghz for my CPU even with overclocking and I need to stick with 667 because my computer won't utilize anything higher. What I need to know is the highest rated RAM I can use with the CPU. Effective and real clock ratings messed me all up so if someone can break down why the limit for my CPU is such and such, I'd appreciate it.

Also, when I raise the FSB rate for overclocking, does that automatically raise the RAM rate(from what I've read, I think it should)? I'm using Everest to keep an eye on the system and it just says the RAM is DDR2 667 @ 337ghz but doesn't say what it's running at.

If anyone can clear this up for me, I offer my first born son as payment. Thanks.

March 4, 2009 12:07:06 PM

LOL Keep the Rug Rat. The CPU and Ram Do not really speak to each other, well in a word. It goes like this. The CPU by way of the Northbridge is the mediator between the Ram and CPU. Overclocking the Ram is controlled by the MB. once the CPU spits our its Info. It sends a call for Branch Predictions.

To better understand read up on SSE.2, Branch Predictions, and North and SouthBridge. You are having trouble understanding what you have read so far
because the conversations you have read assume you already know the small
stuff.
m
l
March 4, 2009 3:14:20 PM

Cool. I'll check that stuff out now. Any idea about the RAM? If I get DDR2 800, will it be used or will it just keep a 1:1 ratio with the FSBand run at 533? Is my 667 good enough for what I'm going to overclock? Thanks.
m
l
March 12, 2009 2:31:08 PM

Bump. Leaning towards staying at 667 but going with 2 1gb sticks. Any help is still appreciated though. Thanks.
m
l
!