Three Sound Cards, One Choice.

Nexus21

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
I'm putting together a new gaming rig, and I'm looking for a good sound card. I have a choice between three cards that were recommended to me, and I wanted to get your input on which you think is the best card for what I need. As I already said, this machine will be used primarily for gaming and media editing. Also, I will be using a microphone if that makes a difference.

Choices:
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1
HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
ASUS Xonar DX 7.1

+1. I had an X-Fi that went belly-up on me so I switched to my onboard Realtek 7.1 audio, and was pleasantly surprised after being a die-hard Soundblaster fan for many years. Unless you're a real audiophile, you probably won't notice any difference except the Realtek interface is primitive compared to Creative's.

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Unless you have some very high quality speakers or headphones, I doubt you will notice any problems with onboard sound from a new motherboard.

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Glad to see there are others that see the light. Especially for gaming when most of what you're going to hear are continuous grunts/explosions and low sampled voice chat.