Sign in with
Your question

Clueless

Last response: in Motherboards
March 4, 2009 12:48:56 PM

Hi!

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this because i have no idea what the problem is...
Over the past few months I have had countless problems with my PC. At first the whole PC was freezing up, even the mouse, and every time I had to turn off because it wouldn't turn back on. That, I found out, was my CPU overheating. So I got a cooler installed.
For a few weeks, everything was good, except for a few minor faults.
Now, I am getting 'Delayed Write Failed' errors. I did some research and found that it's most probably my hard drive or memory that is causing the problem. I ran Memtest and it passed with no errors, then I checked the SMART on my hard drive and that also appeared healthy.
Now I am clueless as to what the problem could be.
If anyone has some advice on how to diagnose the problem it would be much appreciated

thanks.

P.S my computer specs are as follows.

BIOSTAR T-SERIES TP35D2-A7
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Nvidia 8800GT 512mb
2Gb Samsung Ram
500GB SATA HDD

More about : clueless

March 4, 2009 12:59:04 PM

Sounds like the CPU suffered damage due to the overheating issue, not total loss but a slightly burned Transistor, there are like 4 million on a P2 or starting with the P3, hard to remember that far back. anywho the Delayed Write Failure is also caused by the CPU not sending the info. in a timely manner to the southbrige on the MB. so that as the info should be gone when the CPU sends its Branch Prediction Request to the Northbridge it sees that the highway is still cluttered with the traffic from the last CPU Cycle and it jams on the brakes. seeing as theres no Anti-lock braking system in place the CPU and North and South bridge get out of the car scratching their collective heads try to figure what the heck happened.

ummmm you need new CPU Dude.
March 4, 2009 1:03:25 PM

What did you test your HD with? If you haven't used DFT, give that a try(click here to download from Hitachi). Burn the iso to a CD and boot from it, and run the Advanced test. Where did you get those errors BTW? In Management console logs? BSOD? And just in case, backup anything important before you do anything else (including running this test).

Edit:
Atalia brings up a good point, but it is worth scanning the HD to be sure first. If the HD passes DFT, try running Prime 95 to stress test the CPU. If the CPU is cooked, it will likely fail that pretty quickly.
March 5, 2009 2:57:18 AM

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I used Smartfan to check the SMART on my harddrive previously. I tried using DFT but I don't have a floppy drive so it wouldn't work. I also ran the Torture Test on Prime95 for around 5 - 6 hours with no error. I have noticed that this problem is on/off. Sometimes it will hinder my from using the pc completely and other times it will not appear.
!