HELP! NEW BUILD NOT POSTING

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Hi, I just build a HTPC and it won’t post (no video signal either), I’m trying to figure out why. I suspect of the motherboard, but have to make sure before I send it back.

The build:

-Foxconn A74MX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-Athena Power AP-MP4ATX30 300W MicroATX/SFX-12V ATX-12V Power Supply
-Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory
-GIGABYTE GV-R435OC-512I Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card
-WD Caviar 750GB

The problem:
I push the power button and fans start spinning, but no video or sound comes from the pc. After that, it won’t turn off by hitting the power button once or for a few seconds, so I have to unplug the power cord.

I have tried:
-Taking out the Video Card and use the MB’s video
-Made sure RAM was properly installed
-Swapping the RAM, even using a stick from another computer
-Made sure both power connectors (24 pin & 4 pin) from the PSU were plugged into the MB

The MB doesn’t have a connection for the speaker, and I’m not sure it has one already, it doesn’t have leds either, so I don’t know how to troubleshoot it. Here’s the link to the manual if you care to take a look http://www.foxconnchannel.com/en-us/support/downloads_detail.aspx?ID=en-us0001944

Please make all suggestions you can think of, and I'll try them tonight and report back.

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
Take the RAM out and turn it on. If it beeps, then it has an internal speaker, and the board is alive (not necessarily eliminated as the problem, but at least you know it is trying to POST). Also try using just 1 stick of RAM, an alternate PSU, and possibly reseating everything (Inc. CPU).

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
thanks. I remember trying with the RAM of, so it definitely doesn't have a speaker. I tried with just 1 stick of RAM (even working ram from another computer) and didn't work. Ill use another PSU and See what happens, then re install everything (incl. CPU). I'll report to you tonight

I'll also try this:

"Q. My new system doesn't work; the fans turn on 3 seconds and then turn off, or
Q2. My new system won’t respond at all, won’t post?

A. Most likely cause of this situation is the motherboard being grounded by a misplaced mounting post. Check to make sure all the post line up with all the holes in the motherboard, and remove any posts that don't. "

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007

Well I solved the problem, No faulty parts. it was such a stupid mistake I almost fell ashamed to tell you. After helping a couple of people find the solution to their new builds not posting I can't believe I did this. All I ever have built are intel pc's, and this is an AMD one. I put the processor in place without pulling the lever, so it wasn't properly installed. After disassembling the hole system, I noticed it.
Thanks for your advice.

DaveF1953

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009

Please, it was such a pleasure to hear from someone who's not afraid to tell of mistakes. I've been building for a long time and failed about a quarter of those. Never giving up sometimes they just fall into place. Other times, left CMOS jumper in wrong position, put a 20 pin power connector in the wrong way on a 24 connector, one pin off on floppy power, and the best, a jumper with no contact in it. Thank you for the story.

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007

WOW!!! it must have been very difficult to notice the jumper didn't have the contact in it.
Thanks for your support.

DaveF1953

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
It was a bitch, like they all are. How you doing? I'm trying to build a Vista system from E-Bay with a Compac/HP board. seems to take every socket 775 processor. Came right up, but I noticed it didn't have an IDE connector. Son of a bitch. I quickly found a 3 SATA one IDE PCI card on the bay and got it for 12 bucks. Fired up and no CDRom or DVD were seen. Came with a Mini disk. Put that in my usb dvdrw and found some files under a RAID dir. Threw them in and it found the drives. It just finds them too late. I go to BIOS and it will not see them to boot from. I boot from an old XT SATA drive and all are present and working. Sorry to be so long winded. I get the guy ( wicked oriental) and he says this and that. PLEASE. So I wrote the guy I got the Ebay stuff from and I'm waiting on a DVDRW SATA coming maybe tomorrow. Funny, I don't think so. Just another day in the life of a system builder. ( of older stuff ).