Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK guys, here's my list from the old thread, I need to revive the topic again! Who makes the best water block? We came up with a list of possible top-performance parts before, and I'd like to hear from you which parts should be added to the list...or removed from it. Thanks!

The list so far:

Swiftech XT
HK 3.0
EK Supreme LT (value contender)
Koolance CPU-350AT
Cuplex XT
Alphacool HF 38 Niagara

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Crashman, it would be cool if you guys could compare the waterblocks from manufacturers to ones made by users like duniek.

Fred "FstFrddy" also makes some kick ass "stinger" blocks.

10023.jpg

You think this is possible?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Swiftech Apogee XT
New HF by ??? I forget. Testing in progress, looking good.
Heatkiller 3.0? Copper top it's shiny.
Maybe Koolance 360? Waiting fr tst results from a real tester. Skinnee.

Thats it for now.

Over, just get TH to pay up for shipment. Then think of the general user. Is he going to beg from EU an pay shippig for a block that is ALMOST one off? Not to be repeated? This is a commoner forum, not a specialized place.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Well that's just great, I would think you'd look forward to a commoner review....one mid-priced high flow pump, one CPU, one overclock, one heatsink compound to determine the most common winner :)

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
To test the best blocks?

DDC 3.2 with aftermarket top for pump. If testing the Duneik top, you know the ones interested in this block won't be the ones owning a mid priced pump. The top folks are running two pumps in series with the new dual tops etc.

CPU
One of each block
One 120x2 MCR rad.
Flow rate testing equipment

The blocks from Dunik are one of a kind, expensive. I wouldn't toss that into a test. They are bought by folks that already have a box of 5-10 blocks, have plenty of money and just want to play. The buyers of this already know charecteristics of the common blocks and are pushing the envelope.

So no need to test it to help the common purchaser of a watercooling setup. You can't go to a web page and buy a Duneik block.

Thats what I mean by commoner forum, not where the deep experts hang out.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
What about the MC-TDX from Dangerden?

It should be better than the Koolance CPU-350AT. Which still uses the cross cpu style of flow. Unlike the MC-TDX which pushes into the block the directly above the cores and the flows off to the side.

-ouch1

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

If it's not available to "commoners" it might as well not exist. Seriously, hand-producing stuff like this is done mostly for the feeling of accomplishment, if the part was obviously superior the guy should be able to make money from licensing the design. But anyway...these so-called "massed produced" blocks number in the hundreds or thousands per model, not ten-thousands, and that should be exclusive enough.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006

what about the DD MPC-CPU - i7 Nehalem/1366 Block? It is designed for i7's specifically, and is fairly new.

-ouch1

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Some of the blocks are awesome though... also, its hard to find a pelt block that isnt made by a user.

I would love to see one by fstfrddy tested though. [:jaydeejohn:5]

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

The MCP CPU is just a MCP Universal chipset block with a CPU top with new mounting holes.

Fairly new? 2008 I can find DD posts on the MCP block. Seen over 7 blocks and 2-3 versions of some of the new ones since then.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Looks awesome for sure. I know if Skinnee was given one he'd be glad to test it, as would Toms. Who would I put my trust in?

Not saying Toms skews results, I think they do pretty well myself. There are two Asian review sites, maybe two in the EU that are well respected. The best for USA watercooling now is Skinnee and Vapor, they are a team anyway. And he is currently just doing watercooling. He does it as a hobby, not to generate income.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Income is the same no matter what blocks are in it, but it would be nice to think interested buyers could actually buy the product!

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Interested buyers can. They just need to be on the proper forum, have the ability to contact him, and see if he has the time to make a one off block.

"I'm new to watercooling and want to buy your untested block. It wa sreviewed on Toms Hardware. What is the cost from the EU for a one off block. Ohh you don't speak English? Ohh you need payment from a trusted person you have dealt with?"

Thats what a TH person would be in for. Anyone worth their snuff in watercooling has moved past TH for info, community, etc when they complete their first journey. Unless it's TT or Koolance.

Don't try to believe otherwise. Mainstream site, stick to mainstream.

At times folks get together and do a mass buy of 20, 10, 5. Being shipped from the EU in single quantities can double the price.

Drop the discussion on the one off blocks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You're telling me to ignore your diversion in a thread I started? Tom's Hardware has done articles using exotic hardware such as one-off LN2 pots, but those types of articles are just for show. This thread is for practical solutions. You should check any elitist attitudes at the door when entering a community of 'ordinary, elementary, and possibly banal' enthusiasts.

Moderation my friend: Tempered passions do not infer inferior ability.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006

Actually I just did a search in the DD forums for the word "MPC" and came up with 6 pages of results, and the only ones I could find prior to Jan 2009 are for the MPC chipset block. Not the CPU block which is at least 20% larger than the chipset block. I know that a design that is 2 years old is not considered brand new, but considering that it is a proven design I feel it is worth a shot to see how it performs.

-ouch1

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

I get that crashman, still i have never seen a test done by a company that used one of these blocks. It would be cool is all. Also, i bet fred would give it tou you as long as you agreed to ship it back when you are done, dont ya think? [:jaydeejohn:5]

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The watercooling crowd is what I mean, there are few of them here. Kinda evident.

Once they learn about other forums where 20+ watercoolers read and post daily they move on. I know your trying to help increase your users in this area, it would be nice to see.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Not sure if the users here are ever going ot adpt WC. The other forums are...lets face it, more xtreme then toms. I bet they get a hell of a lot more hits on just an interesting article on WC, then they would with a few moer people who post about water cooling.

I could be wrong though. Crashman, you got any statistics we can see?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

LOL, loads of people interested in those mini-liquid-coolers in spite of their poor performance. But if a company that only sells a few thousand parts a year can increase sales by 1000 units from a single article, that's a good turnaround no? Tom's gets decent traffic out of cooling articles even if most of the readers show up out of curiosity.

TRENDING THREADS