Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best CPU Water Block?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2010 10:21:34 PM

OK guys, here's my list from the old thread, I need to revive the topic again! Who makes the best water block? We came up with a list of possible top-performance parts before, and I'd like to hear from you which parts should be added to the list...or removed from it. Thanks!

The list so far:

Swiftech XT
HK 3.0
EK Supreme LT (value contender)
Koolance CPU-350AT
Cuplex XT
Alphacool HF 38 Niagara

More about : cpu water block

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 2, 2010 11:05:20 PM

Crashman, it would be cool if you guys could compare the waterblocks from manufacturers to ones made by users like duniek.

Fred "FstFrddy" also makes some kick ass "stinger" blocks.



You think this is possible?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 4:18:29 AM

Swiftech Apogee XT
New HF by ??? I forget. Testing in progress, looking good.
Heatkiller 3.0? Copper top it's shiny.
Maybe Koolance 360? Waiting fr tst results from a real tester. Skinnee.

Thats it for now.

Over, just get TH to pay up for shipment. Then think of the general user. Is he going to beg from EU an pay shippig for a block that is ALMOST one off? Not to be repeated? This is a commoner forum, not a specialized place.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 5:23:23 AM

Conumdrum said:
Swiftech Apogee XT
New HF by ??? I forget. Testing in progress, looking good.
Heatkiller 3.0? Copper top it's shiny.
Maybe Koolance 360? Waiting fr tst results from a real tester. Skinnee.

Thats it for now.

Over, just get TH to pay up for shipment. Then think of the general user. Is he going to beg from EU an pay shippig for a block that is ALMOST one off? Not to be repeated? This is a commoner forum, not a specialized place.


Well that's just great, I would think you'd look forward to a commoner review....one mid-priced high flow pump, one CPU, one overclock, one heatsink compound to determine the most common winner :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 2:15:14 PM



To test the best blocks?

DDC 3.2 with aftermarket top for pump. If testing the Duneik top, you know the ones interested in this block won't be the ones owning a mid priced pump. The top folks are running two pumps in series with the new dual tops etc.

CPU
One of each block
One 120x2 MCR rad.
Flow rate testing equipment

The blocks from Dunik are one of a kind, expensive. I wouldn't toss that into a test. They are bought by folks that already have a box of 5-10 blocks, have plenty of money and just want to play. The buyers of this already know charecteristics of the common blocks and are pushing the envelope.

So no need to test it to help the common purchaser of a watercooling setup. You can't go to a web page and buy a Duneik block.

Thats what I mean by commoner forum, not where the deep experts hang out.
m
0
l
March 3, 2010 3:15:25 PM

What about the MC-TDX from Dangerden?

It should be better than the Koolance CPU-350AT. Which still uses the cross cpu style of flow. Unlike the MC-TDX which pushes into the block the directly above the cores and the flows off to the side.

-ouch1
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 3:24:47 PM

The TDX was pretty good with hot 775's. It's not as good with the newer hotter ones. Kinda falling back in the pack. Informed buyers won't buy it. It's pretty cheap though for using on something like a Q6600.

Kinda old, 3 years old now?

Just use this link for CPU blocks.
http://www.skinneelabs.com/cpu-blocks.html
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 4:18:11 PM

Conumdrum said:
To test the best blocks?

DDC 3.2 with aftermarket top for pump. If testing the Duneik top, you know the ones interested in this block won't be the ones owning a mid priced pump. The top folks are running two pumps in series with the new dual tops etc.

CPU
One of each block
One 120x2 MCR rad.
Flow rate testing equipment

The blocks from Dunik are one of a kind, expensive. I wouldn't toss that into a test. They are bought by folks that already have a box of 5-10 blocks, have plenty of money and just want to play. The buyers of this already know charecteristics of the common blocks and are pushing the envelope.

So no need to test it to help the common purchaser of a watercooling setup. You can't go to a web page and buy a Duneik block.

Thats what I mean by commoner forum, not where the deep experts hang out.


If it's not available to "commoners" it might as well not exist. Seriously, hand-producing stuff like this is done mostly for the feeling of accomplishment, if the part was obviously superior the guy should be able to make money from licensing the design. But anyway...these so-called "massed produced" blocks number in the hundreds or thousands per model, not ten-thousands, and that should be exclusive enough.
m
0
l
March 3, 2010 4:55:06 PM

Conumdrum said:
The TDX was pretty good with hot 775's. It's not as good with the newer hotter ones. Kinda falling back in the pack. Informed buyers won't buy it. It's pretty cheap though for using on something like a Q6600.

Kinda old, 3 years old now?


what about the DD MPC-CPU - i7 Nehalem/1366 Block? It is designed for i7's specifically, and is fairly new.

-ouch1
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 11:23:04 PM

I would also like to see a enzotech saphire scw-rev A tested... they have a lot of mass, so they should be good for an i7.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 11:28:41 PM

Crashman said:
If it's not available to "commoners" it might as well not exist. Seriously, hand-producing stuff like this is done mostly for the feeling of accomplishment, if the part was obviously superior the guy should be able to make money from licensing the design. But anyway...these so-called "massed produced" blocks number in the hundreds or thousands per model, not ten-thousands, and that should be exclusive enough.


Some of the blocks are awesome though... also, its hard to find a pelt block that isnt made by a user.

I would love to see one by fstfrddy tested though. [:jaydeejohn:5]
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 1:32:47 AM

ouch1 said:
what about the DD MPC-CPU - i7 Nehalem/1366 Block? It is designed for i7's specifically, and is fairly new.

-ouch1



The MCP CPU is just a MCP Universal chipset block with a CPU top with new mounting holes.

Fairly new? 2008 I can find DD posts on the MCP block. Seen over 7 blocks and 2-3 versions of some of the new ones since then.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 1:36:24 AM

overshocked said:
Some of the blocks are awesome though... also, its hard to find a pelt block that isnt made by a user.

I would love to see one by fstfrddy tested though. [:jaydeejohn:5]



Looks awesome for sure. I know if Skinnee was given one he'd be glad to test it, as would Toms. Who would I put my trust in?

Not saying Toms skews results, I think they do pretty well myself. There are two Asian review sites, maybe two in the EU that are well respected. The best for USA watercooling now is Skinnee and Vapor, they are a team anyway. And he is currently just doing watercooling. He does it as a hobby, not to generate income.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 3:02:16 AM

Conumdrum said:
Looks awesome for sure. I know if Skinnee was given one he'd be glad to test it, as would Toms. Who would I put my trust in?

Not saying Toms skews results, I think they do pretty well myself. There are two Asian review sites, maybe two in the EU that are well respected. The best for USA watercooling now is Skinnee and Vapor, they are a team anyway. And he is currently just doing watercooling. He does it as a hobby, not to generate income.


Income is the same no matter what blocks are in it, but it would be nice to think interested buyers could actually buy the product!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 6:47:44 AM

Interested buyers can. They just need to be on the proper forum, have the ability to contact him, and see if he has the time to make a one off block.

"I'm new to watercooling and want to buy your untested block. It wa sreviewed on Toms Hardware. What is the cost from the EU for a one off block. Ohh you don't speak English? Ohh you need payment from a trusted person you have dealt with?"

Thats what a TH person would be in for. Anyone worth their snuff in watercooling has moved past TH for info, community, etc when they complete their first journey. Unless it's TT or Koolance.

Don't try to believe otherwise. Mainstream site, stick to mainstream.

At times folks get together and do a mass buy of 20, 10, 5. Being shipped from the EU in single quantities can double the price.

Drop the discussion on the one off blocks.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 7:38:16 AM

Conumdrum said:
Interested buyers can. They just need to be on the proper forum, have the ability to contact him, and see if he has the time to make a one off block.

"I'm new to watercooling and want to buy your untested block. It wa sreviewed on Toms Hardware. What is the cost from the EU for a one off block. Ohh you don't speak English? Ohh you need payment from a trusted person you have dealt with?"

Thats what a TH person would be in for. Anyone worth their snuff in watercooling has moved past TH for info, community, etc when they complete their first journey. Unless it's TT or Koolance.

Don't try to believe otherwise. Mainstream site, stick to mainstream.

At times folks get together and do a mass buy of 20, 10, 5. Being shipped from the EU in single quantities can double the price.

Drop the discussion on the one off blocks.


You're telling me to ignore your diversion in a thread I started? Tom's Hardware has done articles using exotic hardware such as one-off LN2 pots, but those types of articles are just for show. This thread is for practical solutions. You should check any elitist attitudes at the door when entering a community of 'ordinary, elementary, and possibly banal' enthusiasts.

Moderation my friend: Tempered passions do not infer inferior ability.
m
0
l
March 4, 2010 2:54:55 PM

Conumdrum said:
The MCP CPU is just a MCP Universal chipset block with a CPU top with new mounting holes.

Fairly new? 2008 I can find DD posts on the MCP block. Seen over 7 blocks and 2-3 versions of some of the new ones since then.


Actually I just did a search in the DD forums for the word "MPC" and came up with 6 pages of results, and the only ones I could find prior to Jan 2009 are for the MPC chipset block. Not the CPU block which is at least 20% larger than the chipset block. I know that a design that is 2 years old is not considered brand new, but considering that it is a proven design I feel it is worth a shot to see how it performs.

-ouch1
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 2:58:56 PM

Crashman said:
You're telling me to ignore your diversion in a thread I started? Tom's Hardware has done articles using exotic hardware such as one-off LN2 pots, but those types of articles are just for show. This thread is for practical solutions. You should check any elitist attitudes at the door when entering a community of 'ordinary, elementary, and possibly banal' enthusiasts.

Moderation my friend: Tempered passions do not infer inferior ability.


I get that crashman, still i have never seen a test done by a company that used one of these blocks. It would be cool is all. Also, i bet fred would give it tou you as long as you agreed to ship it back when you are done, dont ya think? [:jaydeejohn:5]
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 3:02:00 PM

The watercooling crowd is what I mean, there are few of them here. Kinda evident.

Once they learn about other forums where 20+ watercoolers read and post daily they move on. I know your trying to help increase your users in this area, it would be nice to see.

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 3:05:36 PM

Not sure if the users here are ever going ot adpt WC. The other forums are...lets face it, more xtreme then toms. I bet they get a hell of a lot more hits on just an interesting article on WC, then they would with a few moer people who post about water cooling.

I could be wrong though. Crashman, you got any statistics we can see?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 7:11:14 PM

overshocked said:
Not sure if the users here are ever going ot adpt WC. The other forums are...lets face it, more xtreme then toms. I bet they get a hell of a lot more hits on just an interesting article on WC, then they would with a few moer people who post about water cooling.

I could be wrong though. Crashman, you got any statistics we can see?


LOL, loads of people interested in those mini-liquid-coolers in spite of their poor performance. But if a company that only sells a few thousand parts a year can increase sales by 1000 units from a single article, that's a good turnaround no? Tom's gets decent traffic out of cooling articles even if most of the readers show up out of curiosity.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 7:28:37 PM

Thats what id figure...

Unfortunatley the articles arnt driving many to the forums... it seems that it has the potential to be a really nice forum though.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 1:04:41 AM

Just curious, what if I see no ads on Toms due to the use of Adblock Plus :D  ? Does BoM's revenue/profits decrease?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 1:31:17 AM

I doubt it shadow... If you wernt going to click on them anyway, then they arnt losing money.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 2:54:52 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Just curious, what if I see no ads on Toms due to the use of Adblock Plus :D  ? Does BoM's revenue/profits decrease?



LOL, I can't see half the ads because I have a list of block list for spyware servers. I accumulated it myself over the course of years. If your server has hosted spyware in the past, I can't see the ad...so maybe these hosting companies should quit serving spyware?
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 1:31:32 PM

ouch1 said:
Actually I just did a search in the DD forums for the word "MPC" and came up with 6 pages of results, and the only ones I could find prior to Jan 2009 are for the MPC chipset block. Not the CPU block which is at least 20% larger than the chipset block. I know that a design that is 2 years old is not considered brand new, but considering that it is a proven design I feel it is worth a shot to see how it performs.

-ouch1

I just ordered a whole setup from frozenCPU.com, my first water build. I had no clue what I was looking at, so I just ordered names I recognized and that happened to be the MPC-CPU danger den one that fit my 1156.

I have no clue what It'll do, but we'll find out.

Now, I have an i7 and a gtx295 which I'll be cooling and after reading up I ordered a 2nd radiator, as a single 92 won't be enough, lol.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 18, 2010 1:23:24 AM

Any new production stuff?
m
0
l
March 18, 2010 2:29:20 PM

Crashman said:
Any new production stuff?

In my setup? Na nothing fresh off the R&D
m
0
l
!