Need advice, please help.

G

Hello,

Just built a new new system. Was hoping to play a few games. The system: Asus P5E Motherboard with an Asus EAH4850 TOP Video Card, 450W OCZ power supply, 4GB Crucial Memory, 500 GB Seagate HDD, Lite-On DVD RW.

The system works but did not work with my Apple Cinema Display 22" (which used to work fine with my old ATI 9800 Pro). The display works when the ATI drivers were not installed (VGA mode). With the drivers installed, the display works for the post and windows startup only. After the ATI drivers load the screen would go black and the power button would blink (short blinks, indicating a video problem).

Dusted off an old 17" CRT which worked. Enabled the cinema display as an extended monitor. Changed the display settings to a larger desk size on the cinema display then the display would work for 2D applications. However, whenever I try to test the direct draw or direct 3d settings or play any game the cinema display goes blank and the power button blinks (short blinks, indicating a video problem). In other word 2D ok, games = black screen.

The directX I am using is Aug 2008, and I have tried Catalyst drivers 8.10, 8.9, 8.8.

OK, now to the point. I have 2 weeks left to send stuff back (with a 15% restock, ouch). Should I get a different monitor (like the Acer X223Wbd 22", from NewEgg) or send back the HD4850 GPU and get an Nvidia? Or send back the Motherboard and GPU to get new with an Nvidia bent?

What would you folks do? I would appreciate any replies.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I know this may sound weird, but did you make sure to install the monitor drivers as well? I had an issue once where the monitor would not play nice with the GPU because of this.

G

Not a weird question at all. I have had this display for about 3 years, never had a driver for it, couldn't find one for a PC. The Catalyst 8.10 and 8.9 drivers recognize it as an Apple Cinema Display however Windows has always pegged it as a "Plug and Play monitor."

Long winded answer I know (sorry), short answer no, no drivers.

Is there a USB connection between the monitor and the PC? If there is, try without it.

Does the 17" CRT work for games? Maybe your video card is not getting enough power for 3D mode.

G

There is a USB connector, but just to keep things simple I haven't connected it. The 17" CRT played FEAR with no problems. I was also wondering about the power issue. I am using a DVI to VGA adapter to make the CRT run. Not all the DVI pins are used. Any chance some of these unused pins are underpowered and therefore problems don't show up on the CRT?

Weird... If the EAH4850 + 17" monitor combo plays FEAR all right, then I'd say the PSU/MB/GPU are fine.

Just to narrow it down, can you borrow another LCD (20" or larger) from somewhere and give it a quick try? If that works, using the same DVI cable, then the problem is your monitor (or some software - something may be installed and it's just not polite enough to show). If not, it could be the cable.

G

I don't have access to a LCD. I was considering buying one because of these troubles. I can maybe have something that works and work on the cinema display on the weekends. Or maybe returning the GPU/MB and getting something with an NVidia flavor instead, something that may work with my existing display out of the box. I have a little over two weeks on the return policy.