Sign in with
Your question

GPU smoking; memories incandescent

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2008 6:36:27 AM

I have a big GPU problem. It's a ATI4870, brand new system. Everything worked fine (games on max settings etc), and then I ran folding@home. After about 5 minutes, the system completely shuts down. The system doesn't restart at all, so I guess it's a power failure (standard symptoms, but I have a high end thermaltake 750W toughpower PPU...)anyways...

-I unplug the power, replug, power on, and I hear some loud sizzling, followed by some smoke and burn smells. I immediately power down. After powering back up everything works fine.

-The next day, it happens again. Thinking I'm wiser, I press the power button while the system is off to empty all latent electricity. so everything should be fine. When I power on, I hear the same deep frying, followed by a puff of smoke coming from the graphics card. The system works fine the next day.

I tried installing all the newest drivers. The computer works fine. I played UT3 at max for about 3 hours, no pb. I try, F@H, and it crashes on me again...

-THIS time, I unplug all the power on the graphic card, so I don't burn it. Get this: the instant I turn on the card, one of the little memory modules (? those 1.5mm*2mm black blocks) immediately turns red, smoking and melting! I power down, and the module is indeed quite fried. All this, with the card un-plugged.

-Thinking the damage is done (it is), I try powering up again. This time, I have time to see another memory turn red and smoke, but much slower. I immediately power off.

Now, every time I power on, that one little memory turns red and smokes. I don't dare just leaving it turned on to see what happens

What is going on!?!?!?
I paid this system expensive, and I'm not exactly rich. I can't even tell if this is really a GPU or PPU problem. The GPU seems fine till I use F@H on it, and I also tested the PPU at a vendor's place. I'd return the components, but what is causing the problem here? does anyone have any idea? How can I tell which component is faulty? I'd hate changing my GPU (it's under warranty), only to burn a new one!

Also, I don't have onboard video, so I can't run any tests without the card, and my PC case doesn't have a speaker, so I can't hear sysem messages

For info: I have not done ANY overclocking or anything fancy. here are the components:
-GPU Gainward golden sample 4870
-Gigabyte GA-MA-X790 motherboard
-Thermaltake 750 Watts toughpower
Thanks
December 1, 2008 11:16:09 AM

faulty memory modules, this can happen on a new card, im in disbelief you turned the thing back on after it smoked the first time....

its possible that there is a problem with the board i would RMA that thing, should go through fine aslong as you havnt modded it in any way.
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2008 11:23:56 AM

So...the PC starts to smoke...and you turn it back on????

Sounds like a (really) bad GFX card. RMA that sucker, but take pictures before you do. If anything else got fried, you can possibly use the damage as reason to get everything replaced free of charge.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2008 11:39:42 AM

^+1.
December 1, 2008 11:39:46 AM

yup, RMA this KFC thing !
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2008 11:43:32 AM

Yeah, I turned it back on after unplugging it and everything. It worked fine. Then it happened again, and it doesn't work fine anymore. What was I supposed to do, just leave it turned off forever? I was trying to fix it.

Anyways, according to someone else (on another board), they aren't memory modules, but mosfets. I'll take pictures (and a video) and try to show you tonight (I'm at work).
December 1, 2008 11:47:08 AM

fine ! but RAM is still the solution !
December 1, 2008 11:53:27 AM

Quote:
....immediately turns red, smoking and melting! I power down, and the module is indeed quite fried. ...... the damage is done (it is), I try powering up again.....

:hello:  bye

Get a cheap card for now to 'exist' on, because you may need it if a second card goes pop again. Don't fire one up if it is dripping red molten slag. Electronics are not designed to operate in such fashion.
December 1, 2008 12:01:50 PM

monarchdodra/happypal, how many forums has this appeared on?

I'm gonna call my band 'Memories Incandescent', and we'll play easy listening tunes.
December 1, 2008 12:34:59 PM

get a card that has memory chips covered with a heatsink.
maybe folding@home is not an application anticipated by the gainward/palit people.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2008 1:28:53 PM

JohnnyMash said:
monarchdodra/happypal, how many forums has this appeared on?

I'm gonna call my band 'Memories Incandescent', and we'll play easy listening tunes.

A couple, but I always like maximizing my output. I'm sorry if some people find this un-civil, but it is the best way to get answers.
December 1, 2008 2:55:37 PM

Quote:
A couple, but I always like maximizing my output. I'm sorry if some people find this un-civil, but it is the best way to get answers.

I understand why you've posted on more than one forum, especially if no one answered on the other ones. At any rate, don't turn on a PC with smoking components. That can lead to one component frying others.

Usually, it's the PSU that fries other components while smoking like the Marlboro Man, but GPU's can die too, and it's not all just graphics artifacts as indicators.

Not certain that Folding@Home has anything to do with it, there might be virtualization problems with B2 CPU's, but you didn't list your CPU and I didn't look up the motherboard. Are you trying to use AMD's version of CUDA (whatever it's called) for GPGPU purposes?

My 3870x2 just started acting up and I switched to the HD3200 IGP until I RMA it. It's always a good idea to have an IGP, even if it's a lousier Intel one that doesn't do light gaming like AMD or Nvidia. For troubleshooting purposes, an IGP has benefits over even a budget card if your main card fails, though a budget card will do a bit better in games.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2008 6:52:06 PM

Decided to RMA it. I took pictures of it:
It is the SU1, SU9 and SU12 units that burned (that I can confirm). The card is the 4870 gainward golden sample. I decided against taking a picture while the thing was flaming, what with everyone telling not to use the card and just RMA it:

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2008 6:57:31 PM

Sorry to double post, but I can't edit.

December 1, 2008 7:23:06 PM

That thing frying is not the memory module, it is what controls the voltage going to the GFX possessor or the one for the memory.
February 8, 2009 4:22:08 PM

Hello everyone,

It's been a while, but I haven't had any updates until now.

I sent my card back to my retailer, who sent it to Gainward. They said it would take 4-6 weeks, 8 if I'm unlucky. Anyways, 8 weeks later, I get a mail that my replacement has been sent to me.
Upon receiving it from the mail, I can tell it is refurbished for sure. It is not the same card I sent them, but it is definitely not brand new. The package had already been oponed, is damaged, and the card shows handling marks. The plastic on the heatsink has been partially removed, but more importantly, there are scratch marks and damage marks on the soldering of the fan connection. I'm sure it works though, and quite frankly, I can't be arsed to wait 8 more weeks just for that.

I do not know if it was Gainward or my retailer that decided to send me a refurb instead of a new model, but I don't really mind anyways, as long as it works.

The thing is I had other problems with my computer, so I had to send back some of my other components, and I cannot test the card right now... All I can do is send you these two pics.

Anyways, thanks to everyone here, as well as on all the other forums who helped me. Sorry for the multy post, but I was desperate, and I've had bad experiences with 0 reply forums before...

Not very visible, but the protective plastic was used off.

I don't know WHAT happened here. It's the connectors to the fans, so it shouldn't be anything critical...
!