Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core i7-920 Temp: Assistance Please!

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2010 1:15:51 AM

OK, I know this is not a new subject and many newbs seem baffled by the Core i7 temps (myself included). Anyways, I'd like some feedback on why my cores are running so hot.

My understanding is that about 75 C should be the max sustained temp during full load.

I've stabilized the system with VCORE @ 0.92V at STOCK (2.66 GHz) clock.

Temps:
53-56 @ idle
Spike up to 80 C @ load w/Prime95 on In-place large FFTs (max heat, power consump test) after about 5-10 mins.

Case: Thermaltake LanBox
Cooler: Thermaltake ISGC-400

Now I know the case is a very small environment for air flow and with that cooler installed there is only about 1" max gap between the cooler fan and the power supply fan. My theory though is that cooler should be pushing air up into the PS fan which is pushing air out the back.

I ordered another 60mm case fan so hopefully this helps. The only other thing I can think of is to recheck the cooler seating on the CPU. I'm really hoping to avoid lapping.

Ideas? Comments? Am I beyond crazy to try and pull this of with a case this small? Is the i7 safe above 75 C?!

Thanks everyone.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2010 2:30:52 AM

That is NOT a very good cooler, especially for the i7. Low profile coolers generally don't work with the i7's very well because they don't have much heat capacity.

The best option for a small case like that would be the Corsair H50.
Related resources
March 3, 2010 5:49:23 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Guess I'll send back the ISGC-400. I just jumped on it because it was really the only thing I found that would fit. Do you guys have any idea how I would get the 120mm fan/radiator on the Corsair H50??! Are there other good options to consider for a case like mine?
m
l
March 3, 2010 7:45:42 PM

Best answer selected by ConformalAnomaly.
m
l
March 3, 2010 7:47:06 PM

overshocked said:
That is NOT a very good cooler, especially for the i7. Low profile coolers generally don't work with the i7's very well because they don't have much heat capacity.

The best option for a small case like that would be the Corsair H50.

Thanks, I just ordered the H50. Going to take some mod work to get that thing into this case.

Thanks for your input, and your Core i7 overclocking guide is fantastic! Nice work.
m
l
!