Need help flashing BIOS

Bonzi

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I have an 8 y.o. Gateway desktop serial # 0021996415

Since purchasing I have added RAM, replaced HD and went from Windows ME to XP.

The video does not have a very smooth frame rate and I was told this may be fixed by upgrading the CPU. I replaced the CPU but since it didn't work, I'm assuming a BIOS update may get it working.

This is the mobo. I used the link on that page to Gateway's site for the BIOS file. Here are the instructions for installing. When I got to Step 1 in the section "Performing the Update"...
1. Restart the computer
with the disk in the floppy disk drive. The erasing and writing of files to the hard drive is displayed on the screen.

...this doesn't work. I get the message:
Non-System disk or disk error

Replace and strike any key when ready

The above message is what I get if I follow the directions and use a brand new IBM formatted disk. If I use a floppy formatted in Windows XP, I get this message:
Remove disks or other media.
Press any key to restart.

Help please? :)

You followed the instructions and in particular the following?

7. Place a blank IBM-formatted disk in the floppy disk drive.

Note: Do not format the floppy disk in Microsoft(r) Windows(r) Me, Windows NT(r), Windows 2000, or Windows XP. Do not use a floppy disk that has been formatted in those operating systems.

If you followed the Troubleshooting advice, other solutions are to contact Gateway or find a dedicated Gateway support group. The main issue is that you're dealing with a system that should probably be retired, not updated.