ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3650. Should I?

kiko_magna

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Hello,
I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I would like to buy a Dell Studio 17 laptop because I find it to be the most reasonably priced for what I need out of a machine.

However, the thing that bothers me the most, is that it only comes with the ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3650 graphics adapter. I've read quite a few reviews and the card in question is very poorly rated.

I'm not a gamer and will probably never use my laptop for gaming. I do, however use it for graphics applications like Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, etc. and video editing with Sony Vegas.

I currently have a Toshiba Satellite P100-192 with NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 - 256 MB

Is the ATI 3650 also too weak for me if I don't play games?

thanks, k.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
man, it's not too weak! i ran farcry2 on it with high settins and res 1280 (more stable than my 8600gt 3;0ghz pentium 4)

it's a great machine for the price, but know that the boxes can crackle!

kiko_magna

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Thanks for the reassurance, vochtige. I was worried there for a minute.

Although, I would also like to hear an opinion from someone who does graphic design and video editing.

Anyone?

G

i have the computer dell 17 with ati fully loaded man dose it suck. dont buy a dell trust me

bwj90

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
If you really want a graphic design video card you should either consider buying a notebook with an ati FireGL card, or a notebook with an Nvidia Quadro. These are specifically designed for these tasks and will perform better then any other card. But to answer your question, yes, the 3650 will probably run things like Photoshop, Flash and such quite fine.

kiko_magna

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
Actually, I ended up buying an HP EliteBook 8730w laptop with a nVidia Quadro card. It was pretty cheap and it kicks all kinds of ass!

G

I see it's already been answered kind of, but i have a studio 17 with that same graphics card. It's actually rated quite highly in reviews, i'm not sure where you got your info. But it is as good as it gets for video editing, so i'm sure it would work great for your purposes. It seems to do fairly well in gaming as well, it just can't run demanding stuff like crysis on the highest settings.