tom_70

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I photographed the funeral service of a relative and made a DVD for the family. There is another family member living in Hungary that wants a copy. We asked them for info and here is answer >> "The name DVD is in Hungary also DVD.I know that only the turn number is important.It is not disturbing the difference of the period number
( in USA it is 60, in Europe is 50 )"
My still un-answered question , a DVD burned on US equipment, will it play in Hungary ?

Solution
arthurl
".....watch on TV thru a DVD player which I do not believe checks for the region in which it was burned for ...."

Stand along DVD players also check the region code. For some stand along Players/recorders you can obtained "Hacked" firmware that makes the Player region free. This is what I did to two Liteon DVD players/recorders. I was not so interested in the "Make region free" as I was to add the 3 Hour record time. For Data/Home Movies, most software does not add the region code. Region code is normally restriced to "store bought" DVDs.

Generally the "Region" can be changed 5 times. On the fifth change, you live with that region, unless you can (1) for a computer DVD drive find a program to reset the Region...

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Yes, it will. (short answer)
The 50 Hz in Europe is the frequency of the power supplied, not the rpm of the disk. The playback unit is responsible for converting this power into a form which it can use to spin the disk, and if it will run on the power, it should play the DVD. Your only problem might be if you are also sending a DVD player for them, but most players are rated for either frequency. (longer answer)

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Another thing to consider is if they play that DVD in their PC it may notify them that it will have to have its region changed. So you might want to warn them to only watch on TV thru a DVD player which I do not believe checks for the region in which it was burned for thou I'm not 100% on this. :sol:

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
"From memory, there is an option in Nero to set your burned DVDs to region free. In this case the software lock would not kick in."
from club.myce.com, poster oilman
So it seems that this is an option that the burning software sets.

arthurl
".....watch on TV thru a DVD player which I do not believe checks for the region in which it was burned for ...."

Stand along DVD players also check the region code. For some stand along Players/recorders you can obtained "Hacked" firmware that makes the Player region free. This is what I did to two Liteon DVD players/recorders. I was not so interested in the "Make region free" as I was to add the 3 Hour record time. For Data/Home Movies, most software does not add the region code. Region code is normally restriced to "store bought" DVDs.

Generally the "Region" can be changed 5 times. On the fifth change, you live with that region, unless you can (1) for a computer DVD drive find a program to reset the Region changes back to 0. or (2) for Stand-along units find a hacked Firmware update.

Solution

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Thanks a lot!:) I just was not sure about most of the items you listed. Great info.

tom_70

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Thanks for everyones help. It seems the best thing to do is to send them a disk and if it works, great. If not then they will have to try for help locally. Playing through a TV seems to be a good idea as I assume they have a PC.
Thanks again, tampatom