Is my existing PSU up to powering my new build? Second opinion please!

Hi everyone,

I would like to reuse the case and PSU from an existing build in a new build. The case is a Antec Sonata 3 with 120mm fan and Earthwatts 500W PSU (EA500).

The spec for the EA500 is here;

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=27500

I'm a complete newbie at this but I have been trying to read as much as I can understand about PSUs - including the very long, insightful post in this forum. From what I could gather from that, I'm guessing the EA500 is still a decent little PSU? It even has some redeeming features like 2 PCI-e connectors and the ability to deliver it's full rated power 24 hours a day at 50degC.

The wattage calculator provided on Antec's website suggests my components need between 343 - 393W depending on whether I install a HD4850 or HD4870 graphics card and if I alllow for an extra SATA HDD for future expansion. I know these caluclators are of limited use but at least it's a guidline. In the calculator, I allowed for '90% system load' and '20% capacitor aging'.

So the rest of the components are;

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
CPU: Intel E8400 Core2Duo @ 3.0GHz
RAM: G.SKILL DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL4 (2 x 2GB)
VIDEO: ATI HD4850 or HD4870 (former the most likely)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB SATAII 16MB
Optival Drive: 1 x LG Super Multi Blue GGW-H20L
PCI-e TV Tuner Card (antenna)
Front Bay Card Reader
Allowance for 4 USB devices

Would anyone advise against using the EA500 PSU to power the above system?

As far as the future is concerned, I did NOT allow for any overclocking but with a spare 100W or so, surely there is room for me to learn? Or to Crossfire a pair of HD850s?

Sorry if I've been a bit long-winded - any advice or opinions gratefully received.

Ta,

Andy
4 answers Last reply
More about existing powering build opinion please
  1. For a single video card setup, you should be ok. Try your old one first.
  2. Thanks o1die!

I've just been looking at the label on my PSU and notice that for the 12V1 & 12V2 rails, instead of listing 22a as per the weblink, my EA500 only has 17a listed for both 12v rails... My Sonata 3 c/w PSU was bought back in January last year and I've just discovered the EA500 is an older model...

I also noticed/read that the 2 PCI e connectors are 6 pin instead of 8. Will that cause problem with the build or affect performance?

Less convinced now...

Andy :-(
  3. AndyBlair1972 said:
    Thanks o1die!

I've just been looking at the label on my PSU and notice that for the 12V1 & 12V2 rails, instead of listing 22a as per the weblink, my EA500 only has 17a listed for both 12v rails... My Sonata 3 c/w PSU was bought back in January last year and I've just discovered the EA500 is an older model...

I also noticed/read that the 2 PCI e connectors are 6 pin instead of 8. Will that cause problem with the build or affect performance?

Less convinced now...

Andy :-(

You should be more convinced, what the 17 amp rating means is that you have a Seasonic built version of the EA500.
    The rating actually doesn't mean much as there is no over current protection on the rails, so you effectively have a single rail psu.
    Look around for post's by member invisik , he runs an overclocked Q6600 and dual GTX260's on his Delta oem'd EA500.
  4. delluser1 said:
    You should be more convinced, what the 17 amp rating means is that you have a Seasonic built version of the EA500.
    The rating actually doesn't mean much as there is no over current protection on the rails, so you effectively have a single rail psu.
    Look around for post's by member invisik , he runs an overclocked Q6600 and dual GTX260's on his Delta oem'd EA500.

Thanks DellUser1 - I was just reading about the differences between EA500s and EA500D and the pros of having a single rail PSU. I'll definitely hang onto my EA500 for a bit longer now :-)

Confidence restored!

Andy
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies New Build Components