Sound Card increased cpu temps by over 10 degrees Celcius

Sage-BRIG-

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I purchased a Creative Soundblaster Fatality X-Fi Platinum PCIE sound card. I have gone around and around with all manufacturers in regards to this issue to no avail. So I am hoping someone here has more knowledge than the CSA's who answer trouble calls with no experience what so ever.

I plugged in the card originally into my 2nd PCIE 16 slot, however it would not register; Next I plugged it into my 4th PCIE 16 slot, woohoooo it saw it. However my temps on my cpu went from 13 celcius idle to 26 celcius idle and my core jumped similarly into the 30's. I contacted them all and was advised by MSI they do not support sound cards plugged into the PCIE 16 slots (strange since its not dedicated for graphics and the card says it can be used in 1X, 4X, 8X or 16X) so I ordered this nifty $80 cord to plug into my covered PCIE x1 slot and ran it around the number 1 graphics card and heatsink (great setup MSI :-(, block all ports if you add a heatsink) and I still get the issue, not only that but before I added the card my benchmarks were over 16k in 3dbenchmark and after wards they increased, another woohooo. I uninstalled the software and hardware and checked again, bummer my benchmarks dropped to barely 15k, even after starting over from scratch and resetting mb by removing the battery I couldnt get the performance I had back, but the temps went back down to normal. So here I am with this dilemma, first why is this hardware causing such a significant increase in my cpu temps, almost doubling it for a friggen sound card and second why did it negatively affect my system in regards to performance. I love the sound quality but the temps are really pushing my coolit, and once they reach a certain point they can actually make your cpu temps higher instead of lower (according to coolit techs, it has to cool itself if the temps get to high and so reverses the cooling) Does anyone here have any idea what is going on, is this normal and just not talked about ANYWHERE, I have performed hours of research prior to posting this, actually days and it all seems to be for naught. I hope someone knows something or even a fix (I would love that).

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
you got a coolit!

it could be air flow to rad on the coolit

but i doubt it i think it is time - coolit products are notirously bad if not set up right - they temp to slowly ramp since the require very high speed fans to work right

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
coolit stuff is junk

if you combine them with water cooling you can make a good system if you know how to do it - the first coolit products just did not work

you needed a 5000 prm 125db torando fan to work a quad at 3.6ghz - when air cooler works fine.
who needs condesation at idle followed by over heating at full load

----------------------------
so they came up with new stuff

--------------------------------

some of it is better at controlling temps but .. then again .... WaPoS

pipe a borealis after a water cooler - then you got something othe wise send it back

Sage-BRIG-

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Dragon, I appreciate the response, but I am really trying to determine why my temps increase with the addition of a soundcard, and if it is normal or expected as even the manufacturers seem clueless.

Sage-BRIG-

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Dragon, I appreciate the response, but I am really trying to determine why my temps increase with the addition of a soundcard, and if it is normal or expected as even the manufacturers seem clueless.

Sage-BRIG-

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
My case is an Antec twelve Hundred with two added fans in the center blowing on the graphics cards, and one in the side panel, so there are 3 front 120's two middle 120's 1 side 120, two rear 120's and a top 250. As well as the coolit and the two aftermarket heat sinks for the graphics, but like I said its not the overall temps I am worried about, its the fact that I plug in a sound card and the core temps and cpu temp overall increases by at least 10 Celsius. Of course I could exchange it but Circuit city likes to sell things then go out of business so I am screwed in that realm.

the original temps were 13 celcius for the overall cpu, and 26 celcius for the cores at idle; I plug in the fatality to a pcie slot and they jump immediately to 26 celcius overall cpu and 38 celcius for the cores at idle, making it jump when it gets hot using prime 95 got as hot as 58 celcius for the cores. I am wondering if maybe its typical and nobody ever thought to check so never noticed. Or maybe not too many buy this sound card as its 200 bucks, and thats pretty high for sound (nice sound though). I also have my cords routed and wrapped, in the twelve hundred most cables go behind the motherboard freeing up air space. I also have a portable air conditioner keeping it at about 70 for the ambient temps. So I am not worried about temps, just if this sound card is making my processor work extra hard it would also be shortening its life span, considering the cost of this build, it needs to last awhile. I hope someone knows and can tell me whats up---lol I also hope they say it not biggie--lol.