blizzak454

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I've been fighting with this Sapphire HD3850 for a couple weeks now and it simply won’t function properly. The latest example is what I did….PLEASE tell me if I missed something or did any thing wrong.

Ran ATI uninstaller
Restarted in safe mode
Ran driver sweeper for ATI products
Ran the latest drivers from Sapphire – in this case 8.10 w/hotfix

Installer errors out and 8.10, or any other version for that matter, won’t install.
So I restarted, not having any catalyst software and check out my display properties. It clearly recognizes the card by name. I’m running at native resolution 1680x1050 but the original problem I found are still present - Jerky and choppy window dragging and scrolling. I mean seriously, it takes minutes to scroll down a word doc. Under Advanced I can see that my hardware acceleration is only three clicks from the left. All directX stuff disabled. When I move it over to the max far right, directx is now enabled but when I test via dxdiag, it all fails. If I restart it resets back to the 3rd position under hardware acceleration. All games (DOOM3, need for speed most wanted) can’t start. 3dmark06 won’t run.

I don’t know if this is a driver issue – how can it be, I’ve tried installing practically EVERY version from 8.1 to 8.11

Or maybe it’s a compatibility issue with my Asus P4C800 Deluxe MoBoard and or my 3.0ghz P4.

I am at the point where its looking like I have to return this disaster to newegg. But my old Saphhire 9800XT – which has been 110% for the last 4 years is still seconds away from croaking. I need an AGP replacement. Additional upgrades like processor or MoBO are not going to happen. I’ll be building a whole new PC later. All I need is a video card that can at the very least match the 9800XT in abilities, or maybe hopefully surpass it, even if by just a little. I WANTED this 3850 to work. It just can’t be done.

could an x1650Pro be the answer?

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
Common problem many of us have faced...I suggest the following:

1. In safe mode, find a folder that was created by your previous unsuccessful attempts...should be like, C:ATI/Support/8-10_xp32_dd_xxxx.
2. Navigate within this folder and click on (Load) the Setup.exe file.
3. This should take you through a successful install and prompt a reboot into normal startup...then you'll be good to go. The Hotfix CCC from Sapphire's site seems to be reliable, although some say they have gotten their system to work using the regular ATI download site, using the latest driver set.

This is the procedure I've successfully used to install the 3850AGP onto Windows XP. Vista should be similar, I suspect.

Good luck!