Push pin based cooler reccomendations

pondfisher

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hello,

Looking for a cooler that uses the same locking mech as standard cooler that comes with intel chips. While installing a back plate is not a big deal, I have invested alot of time into my first build's cable management and would hate to have to undo it if not necessary. OC'ing my cpu is not exactly necessary at this time but i would like to do it to milk as much performance from the chip as I can down the road.

I should have purchased and installed a third party cooler from the beginning but funds was an issue.

Why do people dislike the pushpin locking mech? Just built my first PC a few days ago and so i have no experience with anything else.

thanks!

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Because the pressure the pushpins give is not as good as aftermarket coolers that do it right.

It's highly recommended even with a pushpin cooler to remove the mobo to do it right. You can't be sure the pin is locked in unless you inspect the bottom of the board.

Part of the pains to this hobby, welcome to it!

There is hard work, and then there is DELL.

mattidallama

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
like conumdrum said its advised to take motherboard out to put in a new heatsink so if you plan on doing that then the reasoning in pushpin cooler is out so you might just want to look for a cheap decent heatsink to put in its place depending on what your price range as well as room in your case will determine what you are looking for. If OCing is not your main reason for the cooler still with something that aint going break the bank or be a pain to install.