Need fan/temp control help! Cooling crisis!

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
So heres the situation, I have an ASUS maximus II formula board, e8500 processor (running stock at the time) with an Arctic Freezer Pro fan and heatsink, an XFX 9800 GTX black edition card.

I want to monitor the CPU temp accurately and have the CPU fan adjust according to various temperatures.

For the 9800 I want to adjust the fan speed or edit the fan speed profile to act in the same manner a CPU would, the card gets hotter the fan goes faster etc.

The whole problem is the inaccuracy of all the programs Ive tried to use.
For example at Idle(temps in Celsius):
ASUS AI Suite reports CPU temp at 21 (no way in hell its right)
SpeedFan reports CPU temp at 46
RealTemp reports CPU temp at 36 (strange its always exactly 10 lower than SpeedFan)

Because my MOBOs reported temps, my fan will try to adjust the fan speed according to AI Suites temp through the use of their program Asus Fan Xpert, and the fan is just way off and no way is it doing its job right. Ive been force to compensate but its just not cutting it.

In nvidia's performance tab on the nvidia control panel it wont let me adjust fan speeds, it always gives me an error saying the settings are invalid when I try to apply.

Ive tried to use RivaTuner but it doesnt work on Vista 64 bit Home.

What are my choices for a resolution? I believe Realtemp to be the most accurate temp for my CPUbut my fan doesnt adjust to that temperature! And my poor Video Card is just sizzling at over 60 Celsius with no way of change! Please help!

You should start out by reading up a bit. Learning how these programs work will help you to choose one, and you'll know how to configure it to give you good info.

It's totally proper for Speedfan and RealTemp to give you readings exactly 10 degrees apart. they are using a different TjMax value, 10 degrees apart ;)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Your BIOS should be allowed to control your CPU fan. You should remove AI Suite and PC Probe from your system.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Even if you believe the ASUS temps are wrong, you can still use them to control CPU cooler. On my ASUS system in BIOS there are a bunch of settings for the CPU cooling fan that I can specify manually. They are all temperatures. There's a low temp for fan copmplete shut off, a turn-on temp, a temp for fan speed to reach max, a higher temp for CPU to be forced to a slower speed to reduce heat generation, and a highest temp for complete system shut-down. You can set all these according to what the BIOS believes the CPU temp is, whether you agree with its numbers or not. And don't worry what ASUS' utilities say - read the temps that the BIOS says it has, 'cause that is what the BIOS will use to control fan speeds.

So, for example, if you believe that the CPU temp is really 45C but the BIOS says it is only 37C, you could "fudge" all your settings by 8 degrees for starters. If you want the fan blowing full blast when the CPU true temp reaches 50C, set it in BIOS to be full speed at 42C. Etc. Then observe and re-adjust as necessary.

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Thanks Proximon-

I Did read that section before I guess I just never fully understood all of it.

Does anyone have input on my GPU fan???