How would I connect these components?

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
This is the video card I have on the way:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121283

It's a 9800gt with a DVI, HDMI, and one of those s-video looking things i never used before.

Ok, and I have a thermaltake lanbox with one of those 7" drive bays designed for this touchscreen LCD:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2844211&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=TBBTkwCjCVyBpAgf%20mwzygtCjCVRqCjCVRq

as you can see, it has a standard analog vga input...

I want to use this touchpad as a secondary display to run background apps and such on while i'm in a fullsceen application (mainly games)

I'm wondering if there are hdmi-vga cables or something I could use. I know i could just use a dvi-vga adapter and then run the vga cable back through an empty PCI slot, but I dont want it sticking out that far from the back of the case... plus the DVI is for the primary display.

Ideally it would be a right-angle hdmi plug to go into the gpu, then back up (towards cpu) into an empty pci slot, then ending in a VGA plug into the back of the LCD.

Suggestions?

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
native HDMI (digital) cannot be converted to VGA (analog) without the use of an external box, so that's a no go (unless you REALLY want to spend that kind of money...).

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
blah! so i guess my best bet (short of getting a different GPU) would be to just try to find a right-angle dvi-vga converter and run the vga cord and then get a hdmi-dvi converter to connect my primary display with and then find some sort of way to switch them around so that the dvi out is for the secondary and hdmi is for the primary.... this should be fun

thanks for the reply tho

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Setting your primary and secondary displays/ports is pretty easy through the driver software. Getting a different GPU isn't really going to make things any easier, IMO.