Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

how to calibrate speedfan temps and control fan speeds

Tags:
  • Intel
  • Speedfan
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2010 10:21:53 PM

i have an e6750 and have read all the OC'ing things to know. so i'm doing it now. just don't understand prime95. once i say torture test (blend) and i have round off checking enabled, will it be obvious when there is an error or do i have to watch it closely every minute? like will it come up in a different window? what if "worker #1" gets slightly ahead of "worker #2?" does that mean it is an error?

also i am at 3.0 ghz right now, my ram is rated at 800mhz but also at 1.8-1.9 volts. can i just leave it at 1.8 for now or do i really need to add the 1.9? i guess my goal is 3.2 ghz for the cpu, which if i've read everything right means i don't have to OC the ram. can i leave it at 1.8 volts also? thanks!

last question, should i enable my cpu fan to run 100% all the time? i have an arctic freezer pro and noticed it was idling at like 45 until i did the fan at 100% all the time and now it idles at like 30. is that going to wear out the cooler?

i guess that was like 3 of the dumbest questions ever, sorry.

More about : calibrate speedfan temps control fan speeds

a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 1:10:29 AM

Prime95 will return a "FATAL ERROR" with the worker thread that encounters it. One worker thread getting ahead of the other is not an error.

If your RAM is rated to run at 1.9, set it to 1.9 to maximize stability with OCing.

The fan will be noisy at 100%. Try running it at 40, 60, then 80% to see where the setting is best with your cooling:noise ratio.
m
0
l
March 4, 2010 2:44:49 AM

how do you get it at 40%? i have had 95 running for 4 hours and no problems. would you still suggest upping the RAM voltage?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 8:43:50 AM

If that's the case, then I think your RAM is happy with 1.8v. Don't change it.

As for the fan speed, it might be in your BIOS. Although some cheaper motherboards do not have this option. Which motherboard are you using?
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 12:06:52 PM

Bios's do not normally contain a setting for fan speed. Instreat it provides modes. Normally (1) a legacy mode (Usually 100%), (2) a mode where the Temperature of the CPU controlls the Fan RPM, (3) A PWM (Pulse width mode) vs a voltage level to control the Fan speed. The Temp control method may be fine, But I prefer to control it manually. If you can not, and noise level is not a problem, let it run @ 100% - and yes it will shorten the Life, How much is a guess, but preferable to higher temps.

I Have the Zalman HSF (9500 for E6400 @ 3.2 GHz) and a 9700 for i5-750 @ 3.2 -> 3.8 GHz - Depends on what I'm doing), In both Cases it came with a fan speed control.

m
0
l
March 4, 2010 12:28:21 PM

thanks. idles at 32c and load was max at 54c with fan at 100% (stock voltage). what fan speed would you suggest running? i am sure i can find a program on the arctic freezer 7 to control the fan.
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 1:23:56 PM

What I would do is Run Prime 95 for about 15 Mins @ 100%, Note Temperature, then start backing off say 90% then 80% ect ( need a short break between settings to let proc cool off between runs. I think you will find little diff between 80% and 100%. Use lowest setting that you are comfortable with, For E6xxx, keep below 60C (what I use as a max core(s) temp).
m
0
l
March 4, 2010 1:27:37 PM

RetiredChief said:
What I would do is Run Prime 95 for about 15 Mins @ 100%, Note Temperature, then start backing off say 90% then 80% ect ( need a short break between settings to let proc cool off between runs. I think you will find little diff between 80% and 100%. Use lowest setting that you are comfortable with, For E6xxx, keep below 60C (what I use as a max core(s) temp).


awesome advice, thanks! now last question, how do i configure/calibrate speedfan to control my cpu fan?
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 5:06:50 PM

I would not expect it to be controlled by the same fan controlloer as the CPU - But not sure. Just check it out as you vary the CPU HSF.
m
0
l
March 4, 2010 5:54:19 PM

RetiredChief said:
I would not expect it to be controlled by the same fan controlloer as the CPU - But not sure. Just check it out as you vary the CPU HSF.


makes sense. a lot of people are saying to calibrate speedfan to get the right temps, only i don't know how to do that and can't find that information anywhere. all the links by a guy named computronix who wrote the articles seem to now be invalid. real temp shows about 6c different from speedfan, so obviously somebody is wrong. i've heard real temp is going to be more accurate until speedfan is calibrated, BUT i don't really want to use speedfan to control fans if it's not displaying the right temp.
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 7:41:12 PM

Don't use speedfan, so I'm not much help. Speedfan is also incorrect for my E6400 (Have not tried on my I5-750). About 5 C lower than what is reported in CPUID HWMonitor. Has to do with what tJunction is used. Note I downloaded the latest version of speedfan and installed/ran then deleted it. As I did not see a tab to run a calibration on it. Try HWMonitor, I think it is correct for the X6xxx series of Core 2 dual Procs.

Added:
Good Read - scoot down to calibration section (note this is for RealTemp BUT should apply to other programs that allow for entering an offset)
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

As I stated I use HWMonitor. Just downloaded an ran Core temp. They agree within 1 C for both cores.
I have the Zalman 9500 - based on above artical it should be about 8 to 9 C above Ambient. The ambient temp inside my case is 20.5C (as measured 2" infront of CPU fan) and my core(s) are at 31C -BUT I'm OCed to 3.2 (8 to 9 C delta is for stock)

Based on that I would just add the "6 C" as an Offset to speedfan
m
0
l
March 4, 2010 11:33:26 PM

yeah that hwmonitor agrees with real temp, but not with speedfan. speedfan is off by about 10 degrees. that is so strange that the "how to calibrate speedfan" thread was taken down. anyhow...

so i got my cpu fan under control with speedfan. i get it now. the thing i don't get is that it seems like the minimum speed of 30% turns the fan off entirely, is that weird? i set it to a minimum of 40% and it just barely spins. but also i use the max of 75%. really it seems like it is either 40% or 75% and that's all. when i played COD4 a couple of times it hit the 100% but not for long. is that okay? btw i have the min fan speed at 41c and the max at 52c (meaning the fan speed is 4% while under 41c, 75% during 41c-52c and then until it hits 52c, then immediately the fan speed goes to 100% until it cools below 52c). it is a little annoying if it hits the 52c moment because the fan will do 100% shortly and then back off within a couple of seconds. i guess that's no big deal?

i'd really like to get speedfan to read the same as real temp/hwmonitor now that it's controlling my fan! do those temps seem okay? i'm so happy i got to a 3.2 OC without messing with the voltage!
m
0
l

Best solution

a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 1:22:19 AM

Here is how to add an offset.
Click on advanced
Should show a Block labled "Chip" White block nothing in it and a Down arrow key on the right.
Click the down arrow key and select "INTEL CORE @ $0 on ISA"
Now click to highlight "Temperature 1 offset 0"
Then Click the down arrow at the right of "Set to" and select offset you want to add (Use the diff between real temp and Speedfan)
Repeat for second core.
Put a check mark in "remember It"
Hit OK

Added, Might up the temp for 100% to maybe 56/60C (Max temp for E6xxx is 85C where chip cuts back)
Share
March 5, 2010 2:46:24 PM

RetiredChief said:
Here is how to add an offset.
Click on advanced
Should show a Block labled "Chip" White block nothing in it and a Down arrow key on the right.
Click the down arrow key and select "INTEL CORE @ $0 on ISA"
Now click to highlight "Temperature 1 offset 0"
Then Click the down arrow at the right of "Set to" and select offset you want to add (Use the diff between real temp and Speedfan)
Repeat for second core.
Put a check mark in "remember It"
Hit OK

Added, Might up the temp for 100% to maybe 56/60C (Max temp for E6xxx is 85C where chip cuts back)


oh man that was easy! why couldn't i figure that out on my own? thanks! :) 

if i leave the fan at 75% until 56-60c, isn't it just going to get that hot instead of 52c? what i mean is it seems like the higher i put the max temp on the fan to go 100% at, it seems like it reaches that every time eventually because 75% of the fan speed isn't enough to keep it under whatever temp i select. maybe 75% will keep it under 55-56, i just have to set it there?

is there anything weird about it stopping at 30%? should i let it stop when the cpu idles around 35c? or is 40% of the fan okay too? i just want to make sure i get adequate cooling but also that i'm not wearing out the darn fan on my cpu!

thanks for your help, you've been really helpful for this. the info i'm finding on the net is never as good as the stuff you're finding, ha. perhaps i need to tweak my google skills, or i'm just impatient and don't read as much of each article i find!
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 3:55:47 PM

With google, it can be "How you phrase a question". In this case I gave up looking and just player around with the program - knowing it was there - just a matter of finding it. The software guys could have made it much more intuitive. They could have made the defualt to come up with the choice to change the offset, It not intuitive when the fields are Blank.

As to fan speed, (1) I would set the min at 40->50% as that would not decrease fan life that much. For the max, I would set it to what ever keeps the CPU ,= 60 C.
Bear in mind the fan is cheap compared to CPU. I have mine set to near max and left it there and it has been running close to 3 years.

m
0
l
March 5, 2010 4:08:11 PM

RetiredChief said:
With google, it can be "How you phrase a question". In this case I gave up looking and just player around with the program - knowing it was there - just a matter of finding it. The software guys could have made it much more intuitive. They could have made the defualt to come up with the choice to change the offset, It not intuitive when the fields are Blank.

As to fan speed, (1) I would set the min at 40->50% as that would not decrease fan life that much. For the max, I would set it to what ever keeps the CPU ,= 60 C.
Bear in mind the fan is cheap compared to CPU. I have mine set to near max and left it there and it has been running close to 3 years.


thanks, and great points. i do have just one more question though, i promise. i was reading about OC'ing and although i didn't adjust the voltage on my CPU, is there a way/should i lower the voltage from 1.35 (stock?). i don't know if that's possible. i went from 2.67 to 3.2 and didn't even touch the voltage settings and it's fine, BUT i didn't know if i can get away with running it at a lower voltage, or if that's even necessary/helpful. thanks again for the help...i can't see asking you anymore questions unless we begin discussing a very off-the-wall topic like astronomy...which is very possible. :D 
m
0
l
March 5, 2010 4:11:05 PM

Best answer selected by tuffluck.
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 4:31:02 PM

Yes by all means try lowering your CPU voltage Vcore). Read one test where they had it set to 1.238. Note: In the first link they recommend raising the North/soutBridge sligthly. In my E6400 @3.2 GHz, I raised my FSB voltage and (G)Mch voltage by 0.05 above stock. My sig has the E6400 configuration as I have not updated to i5-750 yet.

http://techgage.com/print/intel_core_2_duo_e6750_previe...
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=241352

Although I'm a sci-fi addict - not much into astronomy. As to Sci-fi. My Son lives in LA and his hobby is photograph. For the past 4 years he has been taking the pictures at the annual Sci-fi charity convention (Normally first week in Dec). My wife flies out an prints the picture so they can take them to be autographed. My wife is leaving Mar 16th to fly out and Meet My son in LA and drive up to Portland Or. to do the photo shoot for the "Leaverage" convention.

Wife in 5th picture middle row down. (all pictures taken by my son and printed by my wife.
http://lightspeedfineart.com/celebritycharitybenefit200...

m
0
l
March 5, 2010 4:41:12 PM

RetiredChief said:
Yes by almeans try lowering your CPU voltage Vcore). Read one test where they had it set to 1.238. Note: In the first link they recommend raising the Nort/soutBridge sligthly. In my E6400 @3.2 GHz, I raised my FSB voltage and (G)Mch voltage by 0.05 above stock. My sig has the E6400 configuration as I have not updated to i5-750 yet.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=241352
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=241352

Although I'm a sci-fi addict - not much into astronomy. As to Sci-fi. My Son lives in LA and his hobby is photograph. For the past 4 years he has been taking the pictures at the annual Sci-fi charity convention (Normally first week in Dec). My wife flies out an prints the picture so they can take them to be autographed. My wife is leaving Mar 16th to fly out and Meet My son in LA and drive up to Portland Or. to do the photo shoot for the "Leaverage" convention.

Wife in 5th picture middle row down. (all pictures taken by my son and printed by my wife.
http://lightspeedfineart.com/celebritycharitybenefit200...


those links are the same? well i leave it at stock 1.35 in the BIOS, but in cpu-z it says lower than that. not sure what it is right now (not at home), but it does display a lower reading, although i'm not sure how much of that is attributed to vdroop. i'm assuming mine is the "auto" setting for vcore...maybe i don't know what i'm talking about, but basically i didn't do anything whatsoever to the vcore, so however it operates normally stock, it is doing now, just that it is OC'd a little bit. i'm not sure if i feel comfortable or feel like it's really worthwhile to continue to lower the voltage until it's stable. i mean i get why you would do it, to reduce power consumption and heat, but if it's running the same it did stock, why not just leave it...i mean it's not going to hurt it, right?

that's very cool about the sci-fi. i am a huge star wars fan but my girlfriend hates it. what's wrong with her??? women. haha.
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 4:53:38 PM

Fixed the first link so that it is correct.

PS, My wife is not a big fan of Sci-fi either, But she loves leverage. This last season they had the Actress that player 7 of 9 in one of the startrek Enterprise series. My wife always call her 7 11. My Son said he was going to tell her, But apparently she will not be there.
m
0
l
March 5, 2010 6:00:35 PM

that's awesome. i have actually seen leverage before and enjoyed what i saw. cool photographs too.

i don't know if dropping the vcore but upping the NB and SB on a mobo known for having serious heat problems on the NB (gigabyte p35-ds3, even though i have an aftermarket fan on it) is really a step in the right direction, so i think i'm good leaving it be for now since it runs stable at stock settings all around (except for the cpu and fan). if i decide to OC the RAM a bit and OC the cpu a little more, i will re-evaluate that possibility.

thanks again for so much help!
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 6:45:55 PM

I rescaned your posts, I didn't see the amount of ram you have installed. I have 4 gigs (2 x 2) mushkins DDR2-800 rated for 2.05 V. This replaced corsair 4 gig (4 x 1) rated at 2.1 V. For the 4 sticks of corsair, I had to raise the FSB and (G)mch voltage by +0.1 for stable operation even at stock. With the muchkins I dropped it to +0.05V. I dought an increase of 0.05 V would increase your northbridge very much.
How long have you run Prime95 to insure no memmory errors. Some recommend overnight to ensure stability. In all honesty, I do not like leaving a system on overnigth untill I KNOW it will not have a heat problem. So I normally run it for 4 hours.

I also have a gigabyte board - the P965-DQ6, But it has much better onboard cooling.
m
0
l
March 5, 2010 6:51:28 PM

RetiredChief said:
I rescaned your posts, I didn't see the amount of ram you have installed. I have 4 gigs (2 x 2) mushkins DDR2-800 rated for 2.05 V. This replaced corsair 4 gig (4 x 1) rated at 2.1 V. For the 4 sticks of corsair, I had to raise the FSB and (G)mch voltage by +0.1 for stable operation even at stock. With the muchkins I dropped it to +0.05V. I dought an increase of 0.05 V would increase your northbridge very much.
How long have you run Prime95 to insure no memmory errors. Some recommend overnight to ensure stability. In all honesty, I do not like leaving a system on overnigth untill I KNOW it will not have a heat problem. So I normally run it for 4 hours.

I also have a gigabyte board - the P965-DQ6, But it has much better onboard cooling.


i have 6gb of g.skill 5-5-5-15 pc2-6400 RAM. i ran it for 6 hours with no problems at all. do you still think i might have issues i'm unaware of? should i try some new stress testing?
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 7:08:00 PM

I think 6 hours is fine. If you do have problems that could be attributed to stability then run it longer. Which test did you run as there are 3. One for the CPU, the Blend, and one to stress.
m
0
l
March 5, 2010 7:11:44 PM

RetiredChief said:
I think 6 hours is fine. If you do have problems that could be attributed to stability then run it longer. Which test did you run as there are 3. One for the CPU, the Blend, and one to stress.


i went to "torture test" and "blend" was pre-selected. is that not the right one?
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 7:57:40 PM

YES
got to go bowling
m
0
l
March 5, 2010 8:00:32 PM

RetiredChief said:
YES
got to go bowling


lol, yes it is the right one, or yes it is NOT the right one?
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2010 4:47:59 AM

Opps, yes the torture test. I normally run the blend just to check voltages and temps under load.
m
0
l