1st Build = 100's of Questions

total-noob

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I recently got heavily into computers in the last 6 months and now want to build a system that can easily handle some rather strenuous tasks on my IBM Thinkpad T42. The things I want to do is convert video files like mp4 to wmv and I want to be able to get into online gaming potentially without losing during the experience. With the past research over the last few weeks I've got it narrowed down to wanting quad core, an alright video card, and being able to overclock, other than that I'm really needing suggestions as to what to look out for I just wanna be able to expand as need be with a ton of room for ram. Sorry about the long post but this is my first build and I wanna do it right!

total-noob

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Plan on buying over time so probably $200-300 per month starting next month, able to be solely devoted to the project.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
That seems.....rly weird

At that rate ull never have a computer and tech moves so fast that the first part ull buy will a) go down in price and u didnt even use it yet or b) become obsolete

zeroyb

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2001
If you can spend $200~$300 every month, just save for 4~5 months. Then, you'll have enough money to build yourself a decent machine. You can ask again what to pick once you've got the dough.