Choosing a Graphics Card to Match my Monitor

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Hey guys,

I will be upgrading my computer this winter, and currently am running a 7600 GS (yea its lame compared to whats out there these days)

I have a 19" Widescreen monitor running at 1440x900. I probably wont upgrade this anytime soon, as I bought a very nice one, and need a graphics card to cater to this display. I have been reading through and see people with video performance too high for their resolutions, and do not want to waste money on more power then I will need. I play EVE and Cod4, and eventually World at War, and am partial to FPS games and RTS games like Red Alert 3 and Tiberium Wars. I am not one of those guys who needs to run the game at max settings to enjoy it, just enough so that it looks nice and plays well. I am looking at the ATI HD4850, its got good reviews and seems like a good bang for the buck. Would I need to step up to 1 Gb of memory, or is the 512 enough? Also, what are some NVidia Alernatives, I know the 260 is pretty popular, but was hoping to keep the investment below 200 bucks. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
If you find the 4850 a bit too expensive, down grade a bit and opt for a 4830 which should give you pretty good performances and save you a bit of money.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
I will be purchasing a Corsair 650TX PSU and an Intel E8500 CPU. The 4850 is not very expensive, and by the time I buy it, it should be even cheaper. Just was wondering if there is anything out there that will work better, perhaps an NVidia card that performs better at that resolution, but thanks for the help; from the sound of it, the 4850 is probably my best choice.