I have a Packard Bell machine with a Gigabyte motherboard, which is about 4
years old.
When I turn it on there is nothing on screen and a ticking sound is coming
from the motherboard or AGP display card.
I tried changing display cards but then I get 2 beeps followed by 8 beeps
and still a blank screen.
Can anyone suggest anything please.

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound guaranteed virus free.
Virus Database (VPS): 0537-2, 16/09/2005
Tested on: 18/09/2005 14:43:32

Malke

Barney wrote:

> I have a Packard Bell machine with a Gigabyte motherboard, which is
> about 4 years old.
> When I turn it on there is nothing on screen and a ticking sound is
> coming from the motherboard or AGP display card.
> I tried changing display cards but then I get 2 beeps followed by 8
> beeps and still a blank screen.
> Can anyone suggest anything please.

You've done a good job of troubleshooting. It would seem that your AGP
slot is damaged or the motherboard itself is failing. You can put it a
cheap PCI video card to do a little further troubleshooting, but it
sounds to be like the motherboard is toast.

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

"Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
>I have a Packard Bell machine with a Gigabyte motherboard, which is about 4
>years old.
> When I turn it on there is nothing on screen and a ticking sound is coming
> from the motherboard or AGP display card.
> I tried changing display cards but then I get 2 beeps followed by 8 beeps
> and still a blank screen.
> Can anyone suggest anything please.

8 beeps is a video card error code.
Try re-seating it?

--
Trish
Dublin, Ireland

Thanks for the quick replies.
I think I'll have to replace the motherboard.

"Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
>I have a Packard Bell machine with a Gigabyte motherboard, which is about 4
>years old.
> When I turn it on there is nothing on screen and a ticking sound is coming
> from the motherboard or AGP display card.
> I tried changing display cards but then I get 2 beeps followed by 8 beeps
> and still a blank screen.
> Can anyone suggest anything please.
>

> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound guaranteed virus free.
> Virus Database (VPS): 0537-2, 16/09/2005
> Tested on: 18/09/2005 14:43:32

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound guaranteed virus free.
Virus Database (VPS): 0537-2, 16/09/2005
Tested on: 18/09/2005 16:37:45