Does this PSU have enough watts for a new GPU?

MrPineapple

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I have this PSU: (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817189005) and I just recently did a total remake of my system. Right now I have:

Intel Core 2 Duo Wolfdale 8400
4 gigs Gkill DDR2
Asus P5QL Pro Mobo
LG dvd-rw/cd-rw
250 gig Seagate 7200 RPM
Geforce 7600GT

Now my power supply is fine with this setup, but my question is can I replaced my current GPU with a geforce 9800 gtx without upgrading my power supply? Or do I need a new one.

Thanks so much!

Well it would be okay, but the quality of the PSU is what I'd be concerned about. I wouldn't upgrade the GPU on your current PSU. I'd recommend getting a quality 500w PSU with that 9800gtx. You will need at least 2 x 6 pin PCI-e power connectors to power that GPU up. You'd be better off with a 4850, IMHO.
Did you have a budget for the GPU/PSU??

daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008

I would also recommend quality parts... The thing is: it costs money.

You don't need 2 6 pin PCI-e power connectors. You can use adapters. That psu is more than fine. Some people go a little psu nutts.

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I would recommend a quality PSU. invest a bit more - your rig will consume no more than 320w. the psu is the one pumping life into your rig, so invest a bit more in that.

I'm not sure what you talking about, but a 9800 gtx does require 2 x 6 pin PCI-e power connectors.
14-130-339-07.jpg

Now if you were talking about his current 7600gt than you'd be correct.

MrPineapple

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Ok, so essentially the consensus is that I could upgrade to a 9800 gtx on this PSU, it would just be better to get a new one?

I just want to make sure I won't be hurting my rig by staying with this one. The reason I trying to avoid a PSU upgrade right now is my budget is kinda tight. I will eventually, I am just trying to put it off till my next paycheck. :p

Sure you can run it, but don't come back later and say you have random reboots and wonder why?? You may not have that issue, I'm just pointing out that a quality PSU is something you should strive for. You have a PSU that can run the GPU, but I'm just questioning the quality of it, so who knows what will happen in the future. I'd still recommend getting the AMD 4850 over the 9800gtx.