How do I remove Windows XP Security virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelseguin

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
I have an older computer which is running Windows XP OS. I was streaming a movie when a pop-up come up and I clicked by mistake and it immediately took over the computer. I was also set up with the free antivirus, Avast, which seems to have done nothing to stop the virus... and now that won't even open as everytime I try it pops a window that states it doesn't work. Nothing works...

From what I can tell, and with the research I've done to date, it's not a virus that kills your computer, but rather disables everything making the computer unusable.

At this point, I can't open anything on the computer. I tried putting msconfig into run and it just does nothing. I tried downloading and renaming the setup file for malwarebytes (as suggested in other forums), putting it on a flashdrive from a clean computer, and then trying to install it on the infected computer. To no avail as well as it just does nothing when I try to run the setup file.

I then tried to put the windows xp cd in the cd tray to reformat the hard drive and re-install windows xp. And when I open the setup menu and click on any of the available solutions, nothing happens and It won't load.

so the computer is now good as dead in that regard. Nothing is working, There is no amount of clicking that does anything and I'm looking for solution now.

I'm not completely computer literate and so if you ask that I look in the registry for the virus and delete it, I can't get to the registry... I can open my computer and look at the files there. and there was a comment on another forum about looking for strange numbers...and deleting those files... So I found a highlighted blue files and I deleted them o the recycling bin...but I have no idea what I'm doing, and it didn't do anything either.

I can't even tell you all the details of the computer because when I right click on my computer to get the stats, the pop-up window says I can't access it or something.

So to sum things up.

-I have a virus called "Windows XP Security 2011"
-Everything that does anything on the computer is disabled
-Windows xp CD won't load
-Safe mode does nothing
-"run" does not work
- I have no idea where the virus is or how to remove it.
- I don't know how to reformat
- copying malwarebytes, changing the file name, then putting it on a flashdrive and trying to install on infected computer doesn't work.
- I tried using rkill and it doesn't work, or I don't know what it does and therefore it doesn't work...

Help.

Thank-you. Please keep in mind I don't know how to do anything technical, but I follow steps really well as long as they are clear.

Boot the computer in 'SAFE MODE'. Your manual will tell you which key to repeatedly tap while the computer is booting (F2?, F8?). Then try running your existing anti-virus program. Another thing to try is 'System Restore' in Accessories, System Tools.

joelseguin

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Thanks for the comments and help.

In safe mode i'm also unable to do anything. Anything I try and open, such as regedit or msconfig simply open the "open with"... That's all I get...nothing is able to install. Such as all the programs recommended to fix the virus or whatever. Like Stopzilla, comboFix...nothing will install. I have the windows cd in the tray and When I click on the install icon when the window pops open, nothing happens as usual.

Help.

Have you tried 'System Restore'?

If you have access to another computer, you could install your infected HDD as the non-boot drive and run a complete virus scan on it, as well as deleting the pagefile.sys. Run anti-virus as many times as it takes to show no further infection. Then re-install it in the original computer and try booting. It should, and then you can re-install your anti-virus, update its database, and re-scan it.

joelseguin

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
So I had to reformat in order to get rid of the virus...

It's the only thing that worked and luckily I didn't have any important files on the comp before hand.

So to all those computer illiterate folks out there who have this virus like I did... Try to find a friend or someone who knows how to reformat a hard drive.

Thanks for all the tips!

miadlo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
What it sounds like is that you had your exe association destroyed and this is something that that particular virus does on a regular basis sorry that I didn't get a chance to post this before you reformated but figure that if someone else has the same issue they can use this to fix it.

http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php

Goes over the multiple ways to get them reset the most reliable method I have found has been the .reg file always works

Status
Not open for further replies.