Sign in with
Your question

Random Freezing with 9800GTX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2008 9:32:41 PM

Hello everyone!

Okay, so I have a fairly new computer, purchased May 08.

I am hoping that someone can help me troubleshoot what is causing freezing and BSOD randomly on my computer.

I have researched (tried to at least) on my own what might be causing this, so any help is great.

Basically, about 1-2 hours after I start my computer it will freeze. Sometimes it freezes in less than 30 minutes, but it is never at the same point or the same time each day. It freezes regardless of what I am doing - ie: idling on desktop, browsing internet, watching movies or playing online video games. It has frozen or given me BSOD in EQ2, LOTRO, WoW, AO, AoC and EQ classic.

When I first started encountering this problem, it was only a few days after I received the computer, but I ignored it for awhile. The screen usually just is frozen on whatever I am doing, I cannot access Task Manager thru Ctrl-Alt-Delete, and I cannot see or move my mouse pointer or use the keyboard at all. Always have to hit reset, and end up getting the "Windows did not shut down properly" message after boot.

Upon reset, there is sporadically an error message in the Problem reporting history (it does not show me a problem when windows loads I have to go search for it) that says "Video Hardware Error" Below is what the actual error shows in details:

quote:

Product
Windows

Problem
Video hardware error

Date
11/26/2008 8:52 AM

Status
Solution Available

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
WD-20081125-0614.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA80058374E0
BCP2: FFFFFA6002217920
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: 3cbd67f8-2186-4cd2-9986-c0a69a72872e

I have been working with the tech support for my computer, but they have already had the computer in for repair and told me that the problem was caused by corrupt files in Windows, which they supposedly repaired (they also told me that anti virus software was causing it... which I dont believe.) Since I received it back from tech support, I am getting the same freezing as before and they have not gotten back to me for over 2 weeks to try and further help me.

I have tested the computer with 3dmark to see if it hung up or anything, and it seemed fine. I am wondering if maybe the video card needs to be replaced? I have tried uninstalling the whole card and reinstalling with fresh drivers in safe mode etc and none of this has worked. The funny thing is, my husband ordered an almost exact same computer from the same company (our only diff is mobo) and his card works flawlessly since day 1.

The card runs great after the initial freeze, if it freezes once everything is fine the rest of the day until I turn the comp off for the night...

If there are any other tests I can run myself, please post and let me know- I am computer literate but I don't know alot about technical stuff until someone tells me. Also, I have run the Windows Extended Memory Diagnostic tool, which returned no errors.

*Edit: Have eVGA Precision tool & SpeedFan- at 70% fan speed the GPU runs at 49C (in LOTRO) CPU is running at 34C while gaming.

System Specs:

E8400 3.0ghz cpu
Asus p5k SE mobo w/ American Megatrends rev 1008 BIOS
eVGA 9800 GTX 512mb (not SLI)
Antec 650w PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case with full fans
G.SKILL, 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL5 (5-5-5-15)
Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium

Here is what my Bios Template looks like:

Mobo: Asus P5K v 1.00G
Bios: American MegaTrends Bios Revision 1008

JumperFree Configuration Settings
CPU Ratio Settings : Auto
FSB Strap North Bridge : Auto
FSB Frequency : 333
PCI-E Frequency : Auto
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800
Dram Command Rate Auto
DRAM Timings: Manual - 5-5-5-15-3-52-6-3-3
CAS# Latency: 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
RAS# Precharge: 5
RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
TWR: Auto
TRFC: Auto
TWTR: Auto
TRRD: Auto
TRTP: Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Transaction Booster: Auto
Cpu Voltage: Auto - Min 1.1000V, Max 1.7000V, Standard= Set by CPU, 0.0125V Increment
Cpu GTL Voltage reference: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Auto
CPU Voltage: Auto
CPU Voltage Reference: ?
DRAM Voltage: 1.90V
Clock Over-charging mode: Auto - Min 0.70V, Max 1.00V, 0.80V Standard, 0.10V Increment
Cpu spread spectrum:?
Pcie spread spectrum:?

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: Auto
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Vanderpool Technology: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Intel® Speedstep™: Tech Disabled
a b Î Nvidia
December 1, 2008 10:09:57 PM

1) Test the ram. Download and run memtest86+. It should run error free for several hours.
2) Run prime95 for a few hours. Make certain that round off error reporting is specified in the options. This will exercise the cpu. It will also exercise the ram in a different way.
3) There should be some tests to exercise the video card, but I am no expert on that.
4) One reason for a shutdown is heat. Make certain that dust is cleaned out of all the parts. Are the fans all spinning, and is the air flow in the proper direction? With the power to the pc disconnected, try to wiggle the heat sink. If it is not firmly on, it needs to be reseated. Lastly, take the side cover off and direct a house fan at the innards. If this helps the problem, you have a case cooling issue.
5) Are there any bios updates for the motherboard that seem to address the isue? Be very careful if you decide to update the bios. If the process gets interrupted, you can ruin the mobo.
6) Are all the motherboard chipset drivers up to date, and the vga drivers also?
7) Check the wiring inside the case, are all connections secure?
8) What psu do you have? If it is a cheap or underpowered one,it could have deteriorated with age.
December 1, 2008 10:39:58 PM

Did you read my whole post?

1- Like I said, I ran the windows memtest and it's new memory, but i'll run memtest also.

2- I will run Prime95 at night when I am not using the comp

3- I have run 3dmark06 & Vantage with no errors, I have also run ATI tool to test for artifacting.

4- My temps are pretty low, GPU is running at around 50C running ultra high graphics in LOTRO and the CPU is running around 35-40C during gameplay. I am running both SpeedFan & eVGA's Precision tool while I game and am idle - the temps are not the problem. Also, it freezes while I am on IDLE, my temps are below 45C for the GPU and 30C for the CPU when idle.

5- There is an update for the bios, however it only addresses an issue with S3, and I haven't had any
problems with S3 resume so far.

6- Both are up-to-date with the most stable drivers, I do not use beta drivers.

7- It's all secure, it's very clean with minimal dust and I clean the parts myself (not just blowing out the case)

8- I have an Antec 650w power supply, they are very stable and I have not had any issues with it. Plus, it's only 6months old...

All my parts are brand new, it came directly from the supplier like this and I have not altered any of the hardware myself.

Any other ideas?
Related resources
December 2, 2008 12:18:12 AM

Have you tried formatting the hard drive and reinstalling your operating system from scratch? I know it's a pain, but it might solve your problem.
December 2, 2008 1:15:50 AM

I sent the computer to the repair facility once already, they did not seem to think that it would help to reformat. I would rather try the testing first before I have to start fresh so to speak. I will post the results of my testing when they are finished. Prime95 is running now on that machine.
December 2, 2008 2:10:58 AM

LOL, never trust thoese guys its always a anti virus or some 3rd party software...it makes it so they don't have to touch it....Re-Install windows yourself...its hard to fix CORE files in windows without a clean wipe+install.

Update Bios it cant hurt...get tech support on the phone while you do it. try running an older driver...running without a driver for a few hours see if it happens.

Hope this helps.
December 2, 2008 2:17:27 AM

Yeah, I gave them a glowing review on resellerratings, and now I am really regretting it. Once I posted an edited review with all the issues I am having the site "flagged" my review and removed it, lol. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not looking forward to reinstalling games etc :(  *cry*
December 2, 2008 4:44:44 PM

Well, I reformatted the HD & Reinstalled fresh Vista 64bit... Comp turned on at 10:08, froze/BSOD at 10:35am LOL. I check the tech support guys after bitching at them a bit and they suggest the same thing that I've already done... Here is the error I received:

Product
Windows

Problem
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
12/2/2008 10:35 AM

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini120208-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 50
BCP1: FFFFFA6006DE7000
BCP2: 0000000000000001
BCP3: FFFFFA6002268C77
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: 494d5761-762f-4ea4-9688-4a71536cc322
December 7, 2009 3:14:13 AM

hey, i have had the same issue.. same error with the bluescreen and whatnot. and i tracked it down to video drivers.. i am using windows 7 64bit version. for a graphics card i am using an ATI HD 4850 IceQ4.. so today i plan on calling up ATI and trying to figure out if they have heard of this problem, and if they have a sollution..
December 7, 2009 7:21:51 AM

McDank90-

You should probably post your own info on the issue in a separate post. Our video cards are two different brands, with different drivers and different version of Windows...It's like posting on a car repair forum where a 97 Ford has an issue and going "Hey, my 2006 BMW has the same problem."

In the end, after constantly pressuring the company that sold me the computer which came with the card, I had to return the system and then return the card separately.

The card was defective.. TWICE. I had the same problem with the next one they sent me. Had to send that one back as well. Customer support was completely useless. They sent the computer back to me telling me I was wrong, there were no errors. If you're having issues and can't get any help, just ask them to RMA it and get a new one. Quicker than dealing with all the tests that may not resolve your issue like I did.

Now, I have random restarts with the third 9800gtx, but it is not nearly as bad as before.
December 7, 2009 12:17:21 PM

I would suggest setting all your main system voltages manually. You would be unlucky to get three duff GFX cards so the instability is likely to be another component.
Check all your manufacturer websites for the default voltages, main ones being the CPU, Northbridge (sometimes called MCH) and RAM. If setting these three doesn't help set the CPU VTT - usually 1.2v.
December 7, 2009 4:10:14 PM

MMclachlan-

I had not changed any settings in the computer, and had problems from the first day they I received it (a brand new build.) Everything was at factory defaults and manufacturer spec.

Even after formatting HD & a fresh install of Vista (using only generic vid drivers) I had the same issues. I just got two pieces of crap in a row :)  :p 
December 7, 2009 9:21:35 PM

well i am trying to offer some help based on what i know.. wrong or not. i have had the same exact error. different cards or not, there could be a conflict between windows and the drivers. 64bit systems are still kinda screwy and vista and 7 are not too much different from eachother, other than alot more of the bugs have been worked out in 7.
December 9, 2009 6:32:51 PM

I have that exact same problem, with the very same mobo (P5K) and almost the same GFX card (9800GT). I know it's not GFX related, as that was the first thing I checked (replaced it with my older 8600GT, same freezes). I think that it's a mobo problem. Mine didn't do this right away, it worked fine for a year or so, and only started doing it a few weeks ago. But I've taken the whole system apart, cleaned any dust, checked and double-checked all the connections, and it still does it.

I think it's a serious hardware issue with the motherboard, and since mine is out of warranty I guess I'm out of luck and will have to replace the stupid thing. Last time I buy anything from ASUS, their quality had really been dropping lately. It's the second asus mobo that developed a weird illness on me in the past year. I think I'll stick with Gigabyte from now on, I have a machine of the same generation at work running on a GB mobo and it works like new; and that thing REALLY gets ridden, it's a quad core and it's just taxed all the time... I really :fou:  asus at the moment.
December 12, 2009 1:49:21 AM

that was my next guess, i looked on a few other forums to find that they have also had the same issue with hardware.. i am also using an ASUS board, so this really bothers me..
December 18, 2009 1:40:14 AM

hi, i dont know if you are still having issues with this, but i have found the correction to it!!! my computer is now functioning properly, free of bluescreens!!!!!! it turns out it was a problem with graphics drivers.
December 18, 2009 11:46:41 AM

hey guys, i had the same issue as dmetria,try everything but in vain, at last, i tried changed my psu and it worked. if u have another psu or u have friends, try to switch with them and see if it work. it worked for me. good luck.
December 21, 2009 5:14:03 PM

i corrected this problem by downloading my graphics driver again, and installing it in windows XP compatable mode. and then boom! problem solved
!