Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My personal big list of parts

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2008 4:56:46 AM

I have moved this to a thread that is more manageable. You can find it in my signature ;) 
November 8, 2008 2:45:20 PM

STICKY STICKY STICKY
November 8, 2008 7:12:06 PM

My list is pretty similar. Good job on the write up. One thing though, I would include a couple AMD parts for those on horrendously low budgets.
Related resources
November 9, 2008 7:40:19 PM

well, howz P5Q Deluxe Mobo compared to given P45 options?
November 9, 2008 7:54:52 PM

The P5Q Deluxe is the same as the E just with some extra user features and connections
November 9, 2008 8:21:12 PM

well, i checked out on all the specifications listed on asus site...
only differences i could note were: 16 phase design compared to 8-phase
and some extra cables in case of deluxe.. so, my question is: does spending $50 more on Deluxe justifies for these additional features over P5QE?
November 9, 2008 9:48:35 PM

Probably only for extreme overclockers, or people that are looking for big margins of stability. Tests showed that energy conservation on this board wasn't any substantial gain as I recall.

ASUS generally puts higher quality into their deluxe boards, but you can get that for less on the P5Q-E.
November 13, 2008 9:00:02 PM

I think you could add Scan.co.uk to the list of UK retailers, i dealt with them and their prices are excellent IMO.
November 14, 2008 5:30:54 AM

I'll add a note about the combos chuccck, not only are the CPU comboas good, but those Seasonic PSU combos are as well.

Thanks RetroDude, will add. I've seen them referenced by others as well.
November 14, 2008 7:38:33 AM

Nice list.

Proximon said:

HP DVD burner A couple bucks more but it ships with Nero 7.

Is this the full version or the bait and switch essentials that makes you buy the full version after a month?

With the drop in price of Solid State Drives, its making more sense to add one or two to your system for your OS boot drive. Heres and article on the new Gskill 128 GB that sells at newegg for $278.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1650/g_skill_fm_25s2_1...

It makes more sense to buy a pair of the 64GB Gskill SSD's in raid 0, for double the bandwidth. The Gskill 64 GB SSD sells at newegg for $152 at the moment.

With only 3 days till nehalem it doesn't make any sense to buy now. The x58 chipset is looking like the best one ever with support for both crossfire and SLI. The 920 i7 is looks like the best value of the bunch. Heres an article about overclocking one and its performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...
November 14, 2008 1:53:02 PM

3lvis said:
Nice list.

Is this the full version or the bait and switch essentials that makes you buy the full version after a month?

With the drop in price of Solid State Drives, its making more sense to add one or two to your system for your OS boot drive. Heres and article on the new Gskill 128 GB that sells at newegg for $278.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1650/g_skill_fm_25s2_1...

It makes more sense to buy a pair of the 64GB Gskill SSD's in raid 0, for double the bandwidth. The Gskill 64 GB SSD sells at newegg for $152 at the moment.

With only 3 days till nehalem it doesn't make any sense to buy now. The x58 chipset is looking like the best one ever with support for both crossfire and SLI. The 920 i7 is looks like the best value of the bunch. Heres an article about overclocking one and its performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...

Thanks! That sure helps me out, especially on days when I'm very busy and can't do much on my own... I'll get to these updates on both my big posts sometime today.
November 20, 2008 6:41:26 PM

Big updates coming soon.
November 21, 2008 8:18:16 PM

Updates made.
November 28, 2008 6:23:09 AM

To the top for Black Friday.
November 28, 2008 8:06:59 AM

um pc superstore in aus has retarded prices... for best prices shopbot.com.au compares em, but i buy pretty much all my stuff from either umart or pccasegear so..
November 28, 2008 8:23:53 PM

Added, thanks!
November 30, 2008 8:22:38 AM

updated
December 16, 2008 11:41:35 AM

Minor updates.
December 16, 2008 11:56:20 AM

Proximon, first would just like to say this is a great list and you bring a lot of value to this comunity because of posts like this. One of the many reasons why I post here now.

I was wondering if you plan on adding monitors to this list? I think with todays graphics cards, monitors and graphics cards are being tied very closely together. I was wondering if adding monitors to this list would be a good idea? (If so I can probally help compile this list if you want?)
December 16, 2008 12:07:15 PM

I'm really struggling with monitors. I'm not seeing any newer reviews for 22" and very few for 24".

Beyond cosmetics and warranty, etc., seems like the panels are pretty much the same now.
December 16, 2008 12:18:15 PM

I appoglize I read your other thread titled "what parts to choose" and that's what I was thinking you needed to add. Didn't realize you had this split into two parts now.
December 16, 2008 12:40:12 PM

No reason to apologize. I still need input on monitors.

I see reviews on Cnet that say a monitor is good, yet then they say "drab colors in gaming". Huh?

I see other reviews that say "well, it's pretty much like every other monitor except the stand wobbles and there are only 2 USB ports."

The real problem here is that there IS no way to test a monitor except subjectively. Every monitor comes with it's own factory presets, which may or may not please the user. Once you have a monitor adjusted a certain way, it's impossible to adjust another monitor in exactly the same way... making comparisons meaningless.

OK, so there are a few things to look for:
1. Backlight bleed around the edges.
2. Stand stability and adjustment.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
December 16, 2008 1:01:04 PM

Some of the more obvious things would be screen resolution. 16x10 vs 19x12 ect. (a 22" monitors come in 16x10 and 19x12 for example).

Is HD or not. (we are getting into the era where HD is starting to peak its head into the computer market) ...example direct x 10 and direct x 11.
December 22, 2008 4:34:59 AM

Sending this up because the boards seem to be hammered ;) 
December 22, 2008 5:16:45 AM

Looks like a good Christmas this year in this neck of the woods, despite what's going on!!! :D 
December 27, 2008 12:56:37 AM

the sapphire hd4870 1gb is only ~$165 right now @ newegg, i bought it just before it dropped in price from $310, but i'm still happy with it.
January 1, 2009 7:58:23 PM

I'm looking to get ideas for a home build. I want to run 4 to 6 monitors. I am only going to run the tradestation platform for analyzing stock charts. I need to get ideas for motherboard, video cards....how many?, amount of ram, cpu, HD, optical drive, operating system, UPS, Modem, etc., This going to run tick charts with real time data flow. I need something that will not freeze up. Would like to use solid state HD, max. RAM, best MOBO, Best CPU, best OS, best cables, ETC.. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
January 1, 2009 8:01:55 PM

Plz start your own thread
January 2, 2009 1:58:58 AM

just looking for help
January 12, 2009 9:12:00 PM

So... why is this not a sticky yet?
January 13, 2009 3:41:12 AM

Quote:
So... why is this not a sticky yet?

What is a sticky?
January 13, 2009 9:28:35 AM

I agree THIS NEEDS TO BE STICKY
January 13, 2009 9:02:08 PM

Man there are some nice deals on GPUs today.
January 28, 2009 7:18:19 PM

I'd add www.scan.co.uk to the UK buying list. Can be a bit cheaper than ebuyer on some parts, and tend to have a bigger selection.
I also really like the Noctua CPU coolers, although I've not yet overclocked my Q6600. However, the fans are worth a mention at the least due to being very quiet and still achieving a good airflow. Just by spinning the fan with your finger, you can tell that they use very high quality bearings.
January 28, 2009 7:48:57 PM

guys i have a question:

Is the Core 2 Duo E8400 good with GeForce GTX 285?
Won't the GTX285 bottleneck?
January 28, 2009 9:33:49 PM

darksidedragon said:
I'd add www.scan.co.uk to the UK buying list. Can be a bit cheaper than ebuyer on some parts, and tend to have a bigger selection.
I also really like the Noctua CPU coolers, although I've not yet overclocked my Q6600. However, the fans are worth a mention at the least due to being very quiet and still achieving a good airflow. Just by spinning the fan with your finger, you can tell that they use very high quality bearings.

Thanks!

I'll add one or two of the higher rated quiet coolers and the link later tonight.
January 28, 2009 11:29:24 PM

Here is a great website. You don't buy directly from it, but it compares most of the better websites for deals.
www.pricegrabber.com
February 10, 2009 1:16:26 PM

www.aria.co.uk? i hasnt tried that but it has good prices, and it is for england would u recommand this? and put it on your list?
February 10, 2009 3:03:34 PM

Proximon said:
No reason to apologize. I still need input on monitors.

I see reviews on Cnet that say a monitor is good, yet then they say "drab colors in gaming". Huh?

I see other reviews that say "well, it's pretty much like every other monitor except the stand wobbles and there are only 2 USB ports."

The real problem here is that there IS no way to test a monitor except subjectively. Every monitor comes with it's own factory presets, which may or may not please the user. Once you have a monitor adjusted a certain way, it's impossible to adjust another monitor in exactly the same way... making comparisons meaningless.

OK, so there are a few things to look for:
1. Backlight bleed around the edges.
2. Stand stability and adjustment.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

This is a good read.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&t...
February 10, 2009 4:40:21 PM

Gosh I feel like I just read a novel with that post but very informative. Good find!
February 10, 2009 10:10:55 PM

Thanks guys. I really just thought this was a tool for myself, and I find a lot of folks using it. I'll have to get better about updating it.

I need some sort of BBC code editor that's easier to use... this one is getting unwieldy for this.
February 10, 2009 10:39:56 PM

Why isn't this a sticky? I feel like it should be up there with your guide...get rid of that midrange build price poll and put this up there instead.

Microcenter.com has some great deals on CPU's and other parts from time to time, although their selection can be somewhat limited. I feel like it should be up there in your places to buy stuff section.
February 11, 2009 6:30:59 AM

Proximon said:
I need some sort of BBC code editor that's easier to use... this one is getting unwieldy for this.
you refer to the TH editor?
I don't really use bb/bbc, but maybe a text editor with macros?
or, i think there's at least one Firefox extension with some kind of bb feature.
http://www.google.com/search?q=forum+|+text+BBC+code+firefox+extension
http://www.google.com/search?q=forum+|+text+BBC+code+userscripts+|+userjs
http://www.google.com/search?q=forum+|+text+BB+code+userscripts+|+userjs

February 13, 2009 10:40:10 PM

BufferUpchuck said:
you refer to the TH editor?
I don't really use bb/bbc, but maybe a text editor with macros?
or, i think there's at least one Firefox extension with some kind of bb feature.
http://www.google.com/search?q=forum+|+text+BBC+code+firefox+extension
http://www.google.com/search?q=forum+|+text+BBC+code+userscripts+|+userjs
http://www.google.com/search?q=forum+|+text+BB+code+userscripts+|+userjs

Thanks for this. I've experimented with a few, but haven't found what I want yet.

Notepad++ does a decent job but doesn't support BBcode, so links have to be entered manually. Still, it's easier to deal with than the forum editor for this list, so I used it this time.

Monitor section updated, thanks to the Animal!

Updated a few old parts with new ones.
!