Tv Tuner Card questions

embowe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Im looking to pick up a tuner card for my PC soon..but I had a few questions before I did...I am looking at a Leadtek Video Device WinFast HDTV Cinema.....the main concern that I have is..come Feb when everything goes digital...will this card still be able it get channels (basic and some OTA HD) ...I just want to make sure that if I plug in the coax cable that would normally go to my TV into this card...I will be able to watch it on my PC (mabey WMC) .... Is there anything else that I should be concered about?

What's the COAX cable going to be connected to?

OTA HD is fine, it stays the same, as does OTA ATSC SDTV, but OTA NTSC analogue SDTV goes bye-bye.

If you're plugging into a cable provider then they should provide the whole dig-analogue conversion for whatever their platform will be and likely currently is. However the only way to be sure is to contact them.

embowe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I have comcast digital cable...I have a digital box (dvr) on the tv already..I just want to tuner card on my comp cause my kids are constantly watching cartoons ...I can only take it for so much longer...

Well with the comcast cable, then you can get all their channels (they take care of the whole analogue/digital issues), and then if they have ClearQAM channels from your Comcast provider then you get those too. A friend in the US hooked up his ATSC receiver that also supports QAM and voila tons of digital channels, but likely nowhere near the number as on the dedicated Comcast tuner.

As for OTA it's just going to be those on the ATSC carrier, all the NTSC stuff goes away next year.

leon2006

Distinguished
hauppage 2250 HD Dual Hybrid Tuner... 2 Hybrid Tuners that can take Analog and Digital HD inputs. Both tuners can operate as 2 analog, 1 analog, a digital or 2 digital HD. Its available at newegg $119.00

Low profile PCIE slot...