Processor Speed

I'm considering upgrading to XP. I need to find if my processor speed meets
XP requirements. Does anyone know how to display processor speed for my
system on Win98SE ?
6 answers Last reply
More about processor speed

    In news:C8D3AB29-6C63-4685-A2A2-94BCC8809B46@microsoft.com,
    md_bluehair1 <mdbluehair1@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I'm considering upgrading to XP. I need to find if my processor
    > speed
    > meets XP requirements. Does anyone know how to display
    > processor
    > speed for my system on Win98SE ?

    Two points:

    1. Probably much more significant than processor speed is the
    amount of RAM you have.

    2. If you're looking a the Microsoft official requirements for XP
    (233MHz processor and 64MB of RAM), you need to be aware that
    those minimums are not sufficient to run XP at anything close to
    acceptable speed.

    Don't consider upgrading to XP unless you have at the very least
    a 350-400MHz processor, 256MB of RAM, and a 10GB hard drive.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    CPU-Z
    http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    md_bluehair1 wrote:
    > I'm considering upgrading to XP. I need to find if my
    > processor speed meets XP requirements. Does anyone know
    > how to display processor speed for my system on Win98SE ?

    And remember you can buy a new Dell for $300 with XP and
    some software and a new warranty. It will cost you at least
    $100 for an upgrade XP CD.

    To see exactly what you have now, download and run the Bel
    Arc Advisor www.belarc.com or EVEREST from www.lavalys.com

    some support

    "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    message news:OMXDzVGvFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    In news:%23pJPkmKvFHA.1988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Jim Macklin <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> typed:

    > And remember you can buy a new Dell for $300 with XP and
    > some software and a new warranty. It will cost you at least
    > $100 for an upgrade XP CD.

    Yes, an excellent point! It hardly pays to upgrade.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
    > message news:OMXDzVGvFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> In
    >> md_bluehair1 <mdbluehair1@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> I'm considering upgrading to XP. I need to find if my
    >>> processor
    >>> speed
    >>> meets XP requirements. Does anyone know how to display
    >>> processor
    >>> speed for my system on Win98SE ?
    >>

    >> Two points:
    >>
    >> 1. Probably much more significant than processor speed is the
    >> amount of RAM you have.
    >>
    >> 2. If you're looking a the Microsoft official requirements for
    >> XP
    >> (233MHz processor and 64MB of RAM), you need to be aware that
    >> those minimums are not sufficient to run XP at anything close
    >> acceptable speed.
    >>
    >> Don't consider upgrading to XP unless you have at the very
    >> least
    >> a 350-400MHz processor, 256MB of RAM, and a 10GB hard drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken

    256MB of RAM is minimal!

    --

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    In news:%23ngIgmHvFHA.3100@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Gerry Cornell <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> typed:

    > Ken
    >
    > 256MB of RAM is minimal!

    Isn't that what I said? I said "at the very least."

    But it very much depends on what apps you run. For some people
    who don't run very demanding apps, 256MB is enough to keep them
    from using the page file much and is adequate for their needs.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> In news:C8D3AB29-6C63-4685-A2A2-94BCC8809B46@microsoft.com,
    >> md_bluehair1 <mdbluehair1@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> I'm considering upgrading to XP. I need to find if my
    >>> processor
    >>> speed
    >>> meets XP requirements. Does anyone know how to display
    >>> processor
    >>> speed for my system on Win98SE ?
    >>

    >> Two points:
    >>
    >> 1. Probably much more significant than processor speed is the
    >> amount of RAM you have.
    >>
    >> 2. If you're looking a the Microsoft official requirements for
    >> XP
    >> (233MHz processor and 64MB of RAM), you need to be aware that
    >> those minimums are not sufficient to run XP at anything close
    >> acceptable speed.
    >>
    >> Don't consider upgrading to XP unless you have at the very
    >> least
    >> a 350-400MHz processor, 256MB of RAM, and a 10GB hard drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

Windows XP Microsoft Processors