Which one should I get ?

Total: 30 votes (14 blank votes)

• Glossy (w2408h)
  • 27 %
  • Matte (2433bw)
  • 74 %
December 2, 2008 12:00:18 AM

Hey guys.
I'm buying a 24" monitor and I can't make up my mind between glossy or matte...
The monitors in question are the HP w2408h / Samsung 2433bw..
I know that the glossy reflects, but it also shows better colors right? In my room I don't get much light in front of the monitor most time so I think this wouldn't bother too much, what do you think?

Best regards,
Dave

More about : glossy matte

December 2, 2008 3:02:11 AM

If you're not in it for work, get the glossy. Things appear sharper and the glossy surface looks slick.

If you're looking to image edit, the matte is the best choice.
December 2, 2008 3:36:04 AM

Matt FTMFW.

U ALWAYS get reflections with gloss. It irritates me to death. I even got an 'old' macbook pro cos the new ones dont come with matt option.

GAY!!!
Related resources
December 2, 2008 3:47:26 AM

Personal preference "Matte". If you want glossy you can always put a high gloss windows (or clean piece of glass) in front of your monitor and increase contrast. Very similar effect. If you need matte though and have glossy, you can't go back!

Funnily enough like the guy said before, GAY! LOL! No offence to gay people but i could not find a better word to describe it! hahaha
December 2, 2008 3:57:14 AM

hmm... what't the difference between "viewing angle", reflection, and "Bleeding". my acer 19" WS reflects quite a lot at the right side and a bit at the top... really gay for gaming.
December 2, 2008 6:47:21 PM

Come on there is at least one advantage to the glossy finish with all those reflections, you can use it as a mirror in case of an emergency.

Besides that stick with the normal finish on the monitor.
December 2, 2008 7:49:41 PM

I never get a reflection with my display, matte or gloss, wherever I am, save outside - but I live in the north, so I'm rarely outside using my computer.
December 2, 2008 9:57:33 PM

V3NOM said:
hmm... what't the difference between "viewing angle", reflection, and "Bleeding". my acer 19" WS reflects quite a lot at the right side and a bit at the top... really gay for gaming.

Viewing angle: The maximum angle between your "vision" and the flat surface of the monitor after which the image colours get greatly distorted. There is horizontal and vertical angles. Basically what happens is that the crystals on your LCD monitor block the light coming out on some angles and hence the colours start changing to the point where if you look at an LCD from the side (at 90o) you can't really see the image on the screen. On the contrary if you look a CRT normal TV, it is much better.

Reflection: Seeing light coming from OUTSIDE your screen on your screen and if contrast is quite low, it is very distracting as you can't see the image coming FROM the screen.

Bleeding: The light that sits behind your liquid crystals is too bright in some areas or better, the crystals on your screen do not fully block the light behind them, hence they let some pass through and where you should be getting a complete (or near complete) black colour, you get a black with some light coming at the back of it. That "bleeding of light" can cause colours to not appear right. If the "bleeding" is uniform it is rather acceptable and not so distracting as the whole screen looks the same. BUT if the "bleeding" is not uniform, then it becomes rather distracting, especially in movies and image processing, as parts of the screen will look brighter and other parts will look dimmer, altering the actual colours displayed on the screen (devastating in image processing) and distracting your eyes while watching movies. Light bleeding unfortunately cannot be controlled with any settings, you can only try a warranty return if the problem is too big, or simply get another monitor, but this time do research and try in the shop before you buy.
December 2, 2008 9:59:17 PM

assasin32 said:
Come on there is at least one advantage to the glossy finish with all those reflections, you can use it as a mirror in case of an emergency.

Besides that stick with the normal finish on the monitor.

You are right! And i was wondering where i would shave today as my fiance was in the bathroom!
December 2, 2008 10:02:12 PM

frozenlead said:
I never get a reflection with my display, matte or gloss, wherever I am, save outside - but I live in the north, so I'm rarely outside using my computer.

Yes, try watching a movie in the dark while a friend next to you lights up a cigarette!.. You can see THE MATRIX while Neo kicks everybody's ass .. while smoking a cigarette! LOL!

Or play a dark horror game, while, all of a sudden you can see your mobile ringing in the screen!

Well i have to give it that... if someone approached you from behind to kill you or surprise you, you can see them coming! hehe.. no more surprises!
December 3, 2008 12:10:18 AM

Yeah no matter what, you will see reflections in the glossy finish, trust me. I thought I would be fine because my room is always dark, but even without light it would reflect my face and other stuff(the tv) ect, even without sufficient light.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2008 1:12:59 AM

mrmez said:
Matt FTMFW.

U ALWAYS get reflections with gloss. It irritates me to death. I even got an 'old' macbook pro cos the new ones dont come with matt option.

GAY!!!

Your choice of abbreviation and tossing the word "gay" in there lends a lot of credence to your opinion.

I have an HP w2207H with a glossy screen. The blacks are darker, the colors richer and reflections aren't that noticeable in bright light and unnoticeable at night while gaming. If you have it opposite a window you might have trouble during the day. Mines situated with the window to the side - not a problem.
December 3, 2008 1:25:53 AM

jeffredo said:
Your choice of abbreviation and tossing the word "gay" in there lends a lot of credence to your opinion.

I have an HP w2207H with a glossy screen. The blacks are darker, the colors richer and reflections aren't that noticeable in bright light and unnoticeable at night while gaming. If you have it opposite a window you might have trouble during the day. Mines situated with the window to the side - not a problem.

Don't take it seriously mate. I am sure it was just a funny expression, nothing to do with gay people or what everyone thinks of them. Besides, the word existed BEFORE them, hence he has every right to use it. If you are offended you can take it to the world's linguists...

Anyway, you may say that your screen is fine, but like i said above try a movie in the dark while you have something behind you (like a friend lighting up a cigar or a TV or a mobile ringing etc.) or even try playing a dark, horror game in the dark as well with those obstacles behind you. Now if you still don't see nothing:

a) Your screen is of exceptional quality (not the majority out there)
b) You are blind and can't see it
c) Your contrast levels are at maximum and your eyes bleed after 30 minutes
d) You are lying about your screen

Also the blacks are not blacker, they SEEM blacker, because of some light reflecting onyour screen from outside. If you remove the glossy coating, the blacks are no blacker than any other LCD.
That is why image processing professionals prefer matte screens because it gives them better colour perception. What they see on screen is what they get. Similarly the colours are not richer either. They seem richer. If you reduce the contrast to a matte's screen contrast you will actually see less colour reproduction. Also the extra layer of gloss on the screen prevents certain light frequencies from coming out of the screen and hence the less accurate colour reproduction and the need for increased contrast.
Usually with the contrast increase comes brightness increase as well, which leads to eyes burning like hell after 30 minutes or so.

This is not a personal attack, don't take it the wrong way, just some facts. I too like some glossy screens (even now the one i am using at the office is gloss), but still compared to other matte screens i have seen and own they can't compare.
December 3, 2008 3:40:31 AM

From my personal experience with using my laptop outdoors, in my dark (and light, at times) dormitory, using it in lecture halls with all the lights behind me, I can say that I have never encountered a problem with not being able to see the screen because of reflections. I never notice them.
December 3, 2008 10:55:49 PM

frozenlead said:
From my personal experience with using my laptop outdoors, in my dark (and light, at times) dormitory, using it in lecture halls with all the lights behind me, I can say that I have never encountered a problem with not being able to see the screen because of reflections. I never notice them.

Like i said, there are screens and screens, conditions and conditions and also people and people.

Screens (quality)

Conditions (is anything bright actually behind the screen ever? And is the angle of it reflecting in your eyes?

People (i know people were they watch 4:3 video on their 16:9 TV with anamorphic ratio! They do not "see" that the wheels of the cars now are elongated ovals, or the actor's heads look like aliens from outer space! They think that, since their TV is wide that is the way they should be watching the film. Hence they do not "see" nothing wrong, like some people will "see" nothing wrong with a glossy screen)
December 26, 2008 12:11:12 AM

Comments about eyes bleeding from the excessive contrast is a good one. Not too many people discussing color and contrast accuracy (when editing for print). There should be more people saying this, except, I suppose we're in the minority.

I like the look of the Glossy screen, and I understand why people like them over matte, especially people who don't work at their computers all day, and aren't using Photoshop/Lightroom most of the time for professional printing. So, I wouldn't want to suggest that people are missing something by preferring the glossy screen. I can understand why they like it. But I wouldn't buy one. And I wish Apple would continue to give people the option, which it appears they have no interest in doing. They are playing a numbers game, and they are also losing credibility in professional circles. Everyone loses when these desired options are dropped. Today they drop the Glossy Screen option. Tomorrow, what's next?

!