Sign in with
Your question

Help...Boot Issue with beep codes.

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2008 12:46:35 PM

Im at a wall here.....2 yrs ago I started with an ECS motherboard, Core 2 Duo 6600, 2 1 gig sticks 667, Nvidia 7950 GT KO and 250 g Serial ATA 7200 RPM HDD. No problems at all since i built it.
The other day i came home and I had a BSOD ( System Halted, Hardware Malfunction). I reboot...eventually it does it again. It becomes more frequent so i reseat components. It continues....once I bump the tower with my knee and it went to BSOD again. I strip the tower and re-install everything thinking it was a connection issue since the bump would cause it. Still did it. I ensured all my drivers were updated.....no joy....I wiped the hard drive and updated to vista....worked for a few days and then BSOD again. While in BIOS, the computer started freezing...after hrs of research and consulting I bought an ASUS NFORCE 650 SLI and a 2g stick of PNY. Installed everything and now I cant even boot. I get 1 long beep and three short beeps which leads me to VGA error. I can swap the ram and reseat the card and it will let me into BIOS. Once BIOS restarts the PC on save ad exit, 1 long and 3 short beeps. I took it to Altex and had them look at it.....they said it was because i didnt wipe the hard drive after the motherboard change and in the BIOS I was set to PCI instead of PCI express. Of course the Beeps wouldnt duplicate there. I go home, it boots to the vista disk, I start reinstalling vista, I walk back in a few minutes later.....black screen, computers running....restart....1 long three short beeps......I dont wont to buy more un-needed parts.....thanks for any help and reading this long post.

More about : boot issue beep codes

a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2008 1:21:43 PM

I'd be suspicious of the power supply. Don't know yours, but a few years ago there was a rash of PSU's made with faulty capacitors that started to fail in 2-3 years.

One way to check is to remove your PSU and open it, looking for larger cyclinders with bulging tops. They should be flat. Any with bulges or, worse, apparent leaks are definitely bad. A surer way is to buy and install a new PSU and see if that solves the problem. 'Course, if it does not, you've just spent a bunch of money.

Oh, and the bad capacitor problem also plagued some mobo's. So look on your mobo similarly for distorted or leaking large capacitors.
November 5, 2008 1:43:55 PM

when in BIOS what should the voltage read to the side of the standard voltage. ( ie. it will say 12V in the left column and 11.98v in the right column adjacent to it ...Im wondering why it wouldnt duplicate the 1 beep 3 beep for the tech at altec ......
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2008 2:04:21 PM

Why the Altec tech did not observe the beep codes MAY be because the problem is still intermittent but frequent. If he / she only tried it out a couple of times it might just have behaved itself properly then. In fact, your story suggests it may not happen when starting up after a lengthy shut-down, but becomes more frequent as the machine warms up.

As far as voltages go, is there is some +/- tolerance on them all. For 12 v, a discrepancy of 0.02 v is nothing. I probably would not worry about a dsicrepancy of 0.1 or 0.2 v, but I really don't know what the right tolerance is for each voltage. Maybe someone else has that info. By the way, for these basic PSU main outputs, seeing voltages HIGHER than spec may be slightly more worrisome than lower.
November 5, 2008 5:16:31 PM

thanks for the info so far......Your statement is true about warm and cold starts.....itll boot to the vista disk, ill install vista but on the first reboot during the install, 1 beep three beeps......the computer doesnt shut off but the monitor never comes on.....the fans are running on the graphics card to. I did think of an extra question. My old motherboard had a horizontal 4 pin connecter above the PCI-E slot. The new one doesnt. The power is just pluged into the card via a square 4 pin adapter from the PSU. Do ya think the old board was pushing more power into the card from the board ? The square 4 pin adapter that plugs into the card is a Y adapter. 2 horizontal 4 pins running into 1 square 4 pin. I assumed this is so you wouldnt lose a plug because of the card......should I have both horizontal 4 pins hooked up to the PSU.....pushing 2 inputs into the 1 square 4 pin?.....i dont but just wondering if it my be a lack of power issue though im leaning towards this being an issue once it heats up.
November 5, 2008 5:18:30 PM

What PSU do you currently have?
November 5, 2008 5:22:11 PM

APEVIA X-Navigator ATXA9N-BK/500 Black Steel
ATX Full Tower Computer Case
ATX 500W dual fan w/ automatic fan speed control.
Connector 20 + 4 pin Power Supply - Retail
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2008 5:36:58 PM

An Apevia PSU? The prosecution rests.
November 5, 2008 5:48:01 PM

so would a faulty PSU cause the old motherboard to give me BSOD harware failures and freeze in BOIS and cause the symptoms on my new motherboard of 1 long beep three short beeps at bootup......even if the volts are reading just shy of defaults when I can get into BIOS ?
November 6, 2008 12:11:55 AM

I hooked up the power to both 4 pin inlets adapting to a 6 pin square (not 4 pin as I was refering to it earlier) im still getting the 1 long 3 short but I was actually able to boot up after a couple tries.....im on it now....im afraid that when it reboots in a sec, ill be right back where i started........twice in a row I got a message ive never seen before.....Black Screen....FreeDOS Kernal etc etc....Buildw-UNSTABLE, Nov 30,2005 etc etc......C: HD1, Pri [1], CHS= 0-1-1, Start = 0 mb, size = 31mb
Bad or missing command interpreter
command.com/p/e:256

Have no idea what this is but have an idea its the Hard Drive....Im doing all the updates I can while im logged on for the first time.......once Ireboot , I will see.....
I also pulled some voltage with Speed Fan
+5 is 4.87
+12 is 11.78 this drops to 11.71 when I turn my case fans up....they are adjustable
-12 is -16.80
-5v is -8.53
=5v is 4.92

GPU temp is 57
temp 1 and 2 are 40
temp 3 is 25
my dual cores are 46 and 50

thanks again if anyone sees anything out of the ordinary.......

November 6, 2008 11:20:06 AM

Last night I made the post above from the PC with the issues. I was on it for a little over an hour with no issues......i let windows shut it down after downloading and installing updates......this morning, I turn it on.....no beeps, no display....computer still starts up and sounds like its running but no display.....i turned it off, restarted......second attempt was 1 long beep three short beeps and the computer continued to boot or it sounded like it was.....no display.....computer would appear to run with no display.......any ideas on my last few posts ?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 6, 2008 12:36:34 PM

+12v that drops that much from just a few fans? Who knows what voltages that PSU has been feeding into your system. Whether or not it is the only thing now bad, you need to replace it. The Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU is $50 on Newegg right now iirc.
November 6, 2008 11:24:46 PM

well i just wasted more money on a graphics card and that didnt fix it....and now isee JTTs post....could the PSU really cause the code the board is throwing related to graghics or did I get the runaround from ALTEX on a defective board......would the CPU be causing this....?
November 7, 2008 6:20:44 AM

I would say either PSU or possibly RAM issues. Possibly bad stick of ram that is causing intermittent problem, however I would believe that it is more likely the PSU.

Aspire/Apevia PSU's are NOT good quality, and often leave the user lacking, especially when you start loading them up more and more.
!